Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sporadic Low Oil Pesssure

I have a 2004 Lxi with a Monsoon 340. I changed oil in the fall and did not top oil all the way up (I was down almost 2 quarts). So when I first water tested this spring it is was fine until I opened it up and then the low oil pressure signal beep and I said oh shoot I need to top that up and imeadiately idled to the dock. I did not run it very long and oil pressure was 40-60 at slower speeds.

So I topped up and retested. Good pressure and idle but when I run a wide open for a minute the pressure drops to around 20 and the horn beeps ?

Any ideas what to check ?

Could be the oil pressure sending unit, maybe giving a bad signal? Why didn't you top the oil off when you first changed it?

How do I tell if it is the sending unit? I didnt top up beacuse winter came fast and I only had enough oil to get it that far and I was in the middle of moving (just being stupid I guess)

I have a 2004 Lxi with a Monsoon 340. I changed oil in the fall and did not top oil all the way up (I was down almost 2 quarts). So when I first water tested this spring it is was fine until I opened it up and then the low oil pressure signal beep and I said oh shoot I need to top that up and imeadiately idled to the dock. I did not run it very long and oil pressure was 40-60 at slower speeds.

So I topped up and retested. Good pressure and idle but when I run a wide open for a minute the pressure drops to around 20 and the horn beeps ?

Any ideas what to check ?

Plugged oil filter is one potential cause of low oil pressure. The majority of other causes are very expensive.

Wiggle your cannon plug and see if that solves your problem. This is the plug that brings all the instrument wires up to the dash. You will see the plastic conduit coming off the motor and going under the sole(floor). It is on the starboard side. The plug is at the top of that conduit held together with a hose clamp. That plug has been a cronic problem to a lot of people.

Check the oil drain line copper plug. Mine was cracked and I had the same issues. Easy fix.

Edited by Pat McCrotch

You guys are great, easy fix. I feel like a fool, it was the contection on the sending unit. I must have bumped it when I put the filter on. The cap was loose and fell off as soon as I touched it. Majoe engine worry over