Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you do?

fever5

Four weeks ago our VLX arrived the dealer. We asked them to have it ready Friday, May 25, which they assured us they would. I inquired about the status 2, 1 and at 0.5 weeks prior to delivery. At all times they assured me the boat would be ready for delivery. On Friday evening I learned that it would not be ready. Apparently the tower speakers were not wired correctly and turning the speakers and lights on results in breaking the circuit. It seemed to me that there were other problems as well, but they would not elaborate. The delay was not due to a backlog but rather poor timing on our salesman's part (I did a poor job avoiding this individual as I was somewhat too quick in wanting to buy this boat than to wait for another salesman to come back from holidays - but this a whole separate story!).

Obviously since this is my first wakeboard/expensive boat I am fairly dissapointed. However I didn't feel it worthwhile to go beyond saying 'call me when it's ready'. During the weekend, some friends at the lake, (some of which made a special trip down to see it), suggested that some type of compensation is in order.

As unprofessional as this mistake was, does anyone think it's worth pursuing? I had just written it off as 'part of the process'. On another note, it also might be a glimpse of what our service experience will be with this company (the sole provider in our area).

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if I came across as a whiner! Cry.gif

Man, Malibu dealers are taking a hit here the last couple of days.

Personally, I would contact the general manager/owner and describe your problems to him/her. The GM/Owner should look into it and call you back with a firm pickup date.

Four weeks ago our VLX arrived the dealer. We asked them to have it ready Friday, May 25, which they assured us they would. I inquired about the status 2, 1 and at 0.5 weeks prior to delivery. At all times they assured me the boat would be ready for delivery. On Friday evening I learned that it would not be ready. Apparently the tower speakers were not wired correctly and turning the speakers and lights on results in breaking the circuit. It seemed to me that there were other problems as well, but they would not elaborate. The delay was not due to a backlog but rather poor timing on our salesman's part (I did a poor job avoiding this individual as I was somewhat too quick in wanting to buy this boat than to wait for another salesman to come back from holidays - but this a whole separate story!).

Obviously since this is my first wakeboard/expensive boat I am fairly dissapointed. However I didn't feel it worthwhile to go beyond saying 'call me when it's ready'. During the weekend, some friends at the lake, (some of which made a special trip down to see it), suggested that some type of compensation is in order.

As unprofessional as this mistake was, does anyone think it's worth pursuing? I had just written it off as 'part of the process'. On another note, it also might be a glimpse of what our service experience will be with this company (the sole provider in our area).

I think the dealer should have given you a "loaner" for the weekend. It wouldn't have needed to be brand new but he must have something in stock to get you on the water.

In Quebec, the dealer is so independant, he wouln't spit out a dime (I think he would even charge you for the time you spend complaining...). I had even worst issues (another story Mad.gif ), and a guy from Merced called me from the factory 2 hours after filling out the customer survey. He basically could not believe all the s*** I went threw but said that he could not do anything. Once the boat arrives at the dealer's, it is their (dealer's) responsability. So unless you have anbother Malibu dealer near by, you may want to stay cool for futur affaires... this doesn't mean you can't ask him for something in return like a tube, a prop, free winter storage...

If he refuses everything, then you can explain your miscontentement in the Malibu customer survey.

my .02$

The last couple of posts I've read about this dealer, I think two people have had issues with this same dealer in Ontario. I just had a major issue happen to my brand new VTX, however, my dealer, Tilly's Marine, was right there for me. They really strive hard to treat their customers, (me) like a family member. I am very blessed not only to have a Malibu, but also to have the people at the dealership right there in my time of need.

Same thing happened to me, boat was not ready after several calls to ensure it woul be. I didn't have the electrical problems you did but I still made the dealer give me another set of tower speakers and a bimini top for the issues.

Some compensation is in order for your painful, embarrassing, and humiliating inconvienence.

Edited by electricjohn

Why couldn't you have just taken the boat and not used the tower speakers? I wouldn't let not being able to listen to music while riding ruin an entire weekend!

Thanks guys for all the advice. The story of the Quebec dealer confirmed what I had thought - zero competition can lead to poor service. In the grand scheme of things its not a huge deal, more of a minor let down. It's nice to know I am not the only one who's gone through this (I've heard quite a few horror storries in my few weeks on this great forum).

Ultimately if I continue to get this level of service I'll drive 4 hours or so to North Dakota and get a boat there next time. I've probably wasted more hours dealing with several mistakes so far than it would to to drive there and back and get it right (assuming the dealer down there has his/her business together).

As for why I didn't take it out: the thought did cross our minds. The weather wasn't fantastic and the salesmen also couldn't make it out that weekend to show us how to operate it (maybe that's why the boat wasn't ready?). We've been using boats for years, but all the same thought it might be worth waiting rather than being impatient and damaging something.

Thanks again.

Edit: it was more than just speakers. Something to do with wirring - what I don't exactly know. It could have been done but ultimately would have been more of a pain then to just leave it and get things done properly.

Edited by fever5

Your avitar says Ontario. Is that the city in California, or the province in Canada? (Could be why the reference to the Quebec dealer)

Re taking the boat as-is: Not a good idea. To take the boat, you've paid the $$$, it's yours, and become less of a dealer's priority. If you don't take delivery, (therefore don't pay the $$$) the boat sits on their books, the saleperson likely doesn't get paid. It becomes moreof THEIR priority.

Hmmm.... glad I buy used.

Your avitar says Ontario. Is that the city in California, or the province in Canada? (Could be why the reference to the Quebec dealer)

Re taking the boat as-is: Not a good idea. To take the boat, you've paid the $$$, it's yours, and become less of a dealer's priority. If you don't take delivery, (therefore don't pay the $$$) the boat sits on their books, the saleperson likely doesn't get paid. It becomes moreof THEIR priority.

Ontario Canada. Paid in full so this wouldn't happen - i.e. they wouldn't put off getting it ready. At any rate i just found out there is a company in our area (who we like) which is now a MasterCraft dealer. So at least I have a viable choice next go around.

Ontario Canada. Paid in full so this wouldn't happen - i.e. they wouldn't put off getting it ready. At any rate i just found out there is a company in our area (who we like) which is now a MasterCraft dealer. So at least I have a viable choice next go around.

I assume you know that the old Malibu Dealer in Ontario (Sun and Ski) became a Mastercraft Dealer (Bala). The owner (Martin Ford) I'm sure would still love to service Malibu's. He was replaced by 5 new Malibu dealers in Ontario (4 under ONE company)..... and all within a couple hours drive from each other. I think the dealer in the haliburton area may have the better service. The dealer in Barrie sells multi kins of boats..... the one in Gravenhurst used to be MB Sports.... don't have any history with the others. Maybe you find out who the MAIN owner is of the Group-of-Four new Dealers..... and let them know how you feel. Heck, if they just became a Malibu dealer, you'd think they would bend over backwards for new business. Not a good way to make an early impression in the marketplace.

Would you mind sending me a private PM.... let me know which one.... so I know enough to stay away. It's not appropriate to blab in a public forum..... but a private little bit of info may keep me headed to the right dealer for servicewhen I need it.

Thanks.

I assume you know that the old Malibu Dealer in Ontario (Sun and Ski) became a Mastercraft Dealer (Bala). The owner (Martin Ford) I'm sure would still love to service Malibu's. He was replaced by 5 new Malibu dealers in Ontario (4 under ONE company)..... and all within a couple hours drive from each other. I think the dealer in the haliburton area may have the better service. The dealer in Barrie sells multi kins of boats..... the one in Gravenhurst used to be MB Sports.... don't have any history with the others. Maybe you find out who the MAIN owner is of the Group-of-Four new Dealers..... and let them know how you feel. Heck, if they just became a Malibu dealer, you'd think they would bend over backwards for new business. Not a good way to make an early impression in the marketplace.

Would you mind sending me a private PM.... let me know which one.... so I know enough to stay away. It's not appropriate to blab in a public forum..... but a private little bit of info may keep me headed to the right dealer for servicewhen I need it.

Thanks.

done. actually I am near Toronto.

EDIT: I am NOT near Toronto. huge difference sorry.

Edited by fever5

I guess this is why my dealer has all of those pesky "Dealer of the Year" plaque's hanging on their wall's.. They actually started buying glass cases to put all of the awards in. They ran out of room on the walls Tongue.gifRockon.gifClap.gifTease.gifYahoo.gif

Here in Quebec, we argue among ski boat owners not which is the best dealership, but which one is least worst. (Not sure how that translates from French, but you get the idea...) Not to take their defense, but here the season is so short, that evereybody wants their stuff at the same time. Must be pretty hard to manage, but I can't imagine doing worst...

Edited by 1FootDan

Hey, even with the great dealers down here, the boats still have problems.

Its no secret, there is no perfect boat!

If you ever get the chance, have a casual conversation with an employee from a boat dealer. Doesnt matter which brand.

With all of the boats that go through my dealer down here at least two out of three have problems when they come off the delivery truck from the plant. And then you go to add all of the aftermarket accessories like tower speakers, tower lights, bimini tops, board racks, flood lights, additional batteries, perko switch's, led lighting on the tower, led lighting around the cup holders, led's on the transom, led's in the storage compartments, stop me anytime here.

Then you try and have all of the mechanicals in place. Make sure the operating temp is right, the wedge works correctly, calibrate the wedge with the guage, calibrate the speed, check the displays, oh my god is there an end to this? All the fluids, hinges, carpet frays.. it goes on and on.

Then you have this really pushy customer on the phone with a bunch of money in the bank that wants it right here and right now and right the first time. You look around your shop and you hired the first five available guys that know how to run wire (there isnt exactly a school for this) and will work for your salary requirements so that you can turn a profit and stay in business for the next year... after all we just want to put food on our table and hit the lake on the weekends.

I'm just glad they remember my name when I walk in the door. Seriously.

Four weeks ago our VLX arrived the dealer. We asked them to have it ready Friday, May 25, which they assured us they would. I inquired about the status 2, 1 and at 0.5 weeks prior to delivery. At all times they assured me the boat would be ready for delivery.

I think some of you skimmed over the above. The boat should have been ready or he should have been informed in advance that it would not.

Personally, I would contact the general manager/owner and describe your problems to him/her. The GM/Owner should look into it and call you back with a firm pickup date.

What he said.

Then you have this really pushy customer on the phone with a bunch of money in the bank that wants it right here and right now and right the first time. You look around your shop and you hired the first five available guys that know how to run wire (there isnt exactly a school for this) and will work for your salary requirements so that you can turn a profit and stay in business for the next year... after all we just want to put food on our table and hit the lake on the weekends.

Difficult economic conditions aren't a justification for poor management. If anything they are a justification for great management! I can't speak for all situations, but in my case, it was clear that the dealer had plenty of time (the dealer by no means is selling over capacity) but mismanagement lead to its delay.

In general:

1) If a dealer makes a guarantee, he should honor that guarantee or thus should not get in a habit of saying things he cannot follow through on.

2) the dealer should inform the customer before payment what he or she should expect throughout the time until delivery. I'd argue that the average reasonable person wouldn't be pushy if they were informed of what to expect. Likewise the dealer should try to understand the expectations of the client and clear up any misunderstandings quickly.

3) Yes boats may have problems related to the factory, but its up to the dealer to ensure that these are identified early and rectified to the best of their ability. Leaving it to the last moment is grossly unprofessional.

My problem wasn't with not receiving the boat. I understand that dealerships have technical problems as do their products. My problems are with being mislead. I think its unethical and grossly unprofessional. Sometimes I wonder if the lack of competition, often created by manufacturer rules/restrictions that impose an anti-competitive system, allows for this level of complacency. This is a theme not only with boats, but even surprisingly higher end cars. I've had worse problems with a local German car dealership! I even worked with a man who had management difficulties getting his Porsche Carrera GT serviced. Apparently $500k doesn't guarantee service either, albeit he was told in advance that his car would be harder to get serviced then the 'run-of-the-mill Turbo or 4s'.

Be fair. Inform the customer and don't be sloppy! It's hard to get upset with someone who is upfront and hardworking.

Edited by fever5

I am dumbfounded it took four weeks to get the boat ready to begin with. They must have sat on it for quite some time.

I didn't have very many dealer installed options, but when mine came in last week they knew I was wanting it for the weekend, and they got it done in two days. Everyone their was super helpful and friendly when I showed up late in the afternoon on last Friday, and I am sure most of them wanted to get their own long weekend started.

Huge props to Bake's Marine in Issaquah.

I read this stuff..... and I shudder. All good points, both from the consumer perspective, AND from the perspective of a dealer trying to find good help in a very short season. But......

..... there's a gem hidden in here.

Namely, that maybe the "equation" just isn't going to work. That since the buying public is ordering bigger boats with a gazillion bells and whistles, upgrades all over the place, custom added bling and dealer installed stuff.... yet the dealers just can't get enough hired help for the "Get-Ready Season".

Success and market "I want it" have bred this seemingly all-too-often scenario.

Solution = buy simpler stuff. But I forgot..... Malibu took away the simple entry level boat (Sporty), has almost forgot about the likely soon-to-be mothballed Response, and concentrated on trying to sell (and just like McDonald's, UPSELL) the bigger and better wake-monsters....... so, we' got what we deserve. Expensive mediocrity.

Hate sounding smug..... but I am really glad I forgo the joy (and cost) of new ownership and all its ills and delays and frustrations..... and thank those new owners for handling all the hassles, and getting their boats "dialed in"..... so I can consider buying a few years later, when they have a few hours on them, but they're running just perfect. You folks have become Malibu's (and mine) Quality Control. I also get to see which of the new windshields I will stay away from, whether a certain model has peeling graphics or dash chrome, whether the new CATS will work without burning down the house, whether the Monsoon really is so much better than an LCR, whether the latest model of Wedge will not shred itself to death, etc etc etc.

Thanks for pretesting my last boat. And to whoever has my next Malibu, thanks for getting it ready for me!.

So unless you have anbother Malibu dealer near by, you may want to stay cool for futur affaires...

Competition is often the only equalizer as only then does the customer become somewhat empowered. If no competition for the dealer, better to keep your owner/dealer relationship good or your boat will always be the last to be serviced/repaired Biggrin.gif .

You look around your shop and you hired the first five available guys that know how to run wire (there isnt exactly a school for this) and will work for your salary requirements so that you can turn a profit and stay in business for the next year... after all we just want to put food on our table and hit the lake on the weekends.

I just have a really hard time believing that the high-end boat market has difficult economic conditions preventing good customer service. Someone has to be making a lot of money--it may not be the dealers, but someone is. In the end, a boat is still made with much simpler materials, safety equipment, engineering, research, and testing than cars. Even with all the extra bling, high-end boats (malibu included) stickering for upwards of $100K are a far cry from the complexity or build of cars of the same price range and cost nowhere close to this to produce. I realize less units are sold and profits have to be higher per unit, but the price of boats, especially high-end, has increased far above materials and inflation in recent years. Where does all the extra $$$ go?

In the end, people who pay for cars or boats alike should not expect perfection, but should be able to demand honesty, openness, and communication from their dealer and the dealers employees, regardless of their economic situaiton.

Difficult economic conditions aren't a justification for poor management. If anything they are a justification for great management! Inform the customer and don't be sloppy! It's hard to get upset with someone who is upfront and hardworking.

Plus1.gif Well stated.

I read this stuff..... and I shudder. All good points, both from the consumer perspective, AND from the perspective of a dealer trying to find good help in a very short season. But......

..... there's a gem hidden in here.

Hate sounding smug..... but I am really glad I forgo the joy (and cost) of new ownership and all its ills and delays and frustrations..... and thank those new owners for handling all the hassles, and getting their boats "dialed in"..... so I can consider buying a few years later, when they have a few hours on them, but they're running just perfect. You folks have become Malibu's (and mine) Quality Control. I also get to see which of the new windshields I will stay away from, whether a certain model has peeling graphics or dash chrome, whether the new CATS will work without burning down the house, whether the Monsoon really is so much better than an LCR, whether the latest model of Wedge will not shred itself to death, etc etc etc.

Thanks for pretesting my last boat. And to whoever has my next Malibu, thanks for getting it ready for me!.

Thanks for reiterating Doug. You are consistent, I will give you that.

:)

The last couple of posts I've read about this dealer, I think two people have had issues with this same dealer in Ontario. I just had a major issue happen to my brand new VTX, however, my dealer, Tilly's Marine, was right there for me. They really strive hard to treat their customers, (me) like a family member. I am very blessed not only to have a Malibu, but also to have the people at the dealership right there in my time of need.

I have in the past two decades owned seven Malibus and currently have three in the driveway. My 06 response lxi factory promo boat was bought from a dealer in the blue grass state and I now live in Colorado. What an absolute disaster!! This was not a new boat that had to be ordered but rather one that a promo skier had. Signed contract on 4-3-07 and it finally arrived via Osborne transport day before yesterday 5-30-2007. Forty thousand dollars later I have a boat with a new but scratched wakeboard tower, an onboard ballast system dealer added with a non functioning pump, "BIG" scrape on gelcoat at bow that was not there when independent survey was made before purchase, no thousand dollar tower bimini as ordered and the list goes on. Basically this is the worst purchase experience I could have and my phone call now multiple in number to Malibu customer service have not helped yet. Worse yet is items that remain on back order from Malibu as part of the purchase. When I lived in California (So Cal) I had multiple dealings with Tilleys Marine even when they were just a tiny little shop in an industrial park with a showroom slightly bigger than a closet. Never! was there a problem, a hassle or as recently experienced an untruth told. The service department was awesome and incredibly helpful. Before I bought this boat I talked with them at Tilleys about purchasing through them. The out of state thing is a problem for them as it conflicts with Malibu's dealer program. That is certainly understandable. My local dealer in Colorado is better after we reached an "understanding". However this year they coiuld not accomodate me with a new boat due to production allotments. If I wanted one it had to be an in stock model. Wrong colors for me. Opting for a promo boat seemed like a good idea as availiblity was a sure thing. The resulting nightmare was not worth it for sure. If I ever buy another Malibu I am hopeful that my experience will be as good as the ones I have had with Tilleys marine while i was living in So Cal. BTW if any Malibu owner is ever in need of boat transport across the country, I would enthusiatically recommend Osborne Inboard Transport. They did an unbelieveable good job for me and were certainly a bright spot in an otherwise horrible experience. Kyle Osborne, his brother Ken and their Mother and Father all actively particiapate in moving the boats. My boat recieved the greatest of care with them acutally wrapping the boat completely in plastic to protect it during transport. Money well spent with them for sure.

Difficult economic conditions aren't a justification for poor management. If anything they are a justification for great management! I can't speak for all situations, but in my case, it was clear that the dealer had plenty of time (the dealer by no means is selling over capacity) but mismanagement lead to its delay.

In general:

1) If a dealer makes a guarantee, he should honor that guarantee or thus should not get in a habit of saying things he cannot follow through on.

2) the dealer should inform the customer before payment what he or she should expect throughout the time until delivery. I'd argue that the average reasonable person wouldn't be pushy if they were informed of what to expect. Likewise the dealer should try to understand the expectations of the client and clear up any misunderstandings quickly.

3) Yes boats may have problems related to the factory, but its up to the dealer to ensure that these are identified early and rectified to the best of their ability. Leaving it to the last moment is grossly unprofessional.

My problem wasn't with not receiving the boat. I understand that dealerships have technical problems as do their products. My problems are with being mislead. I think its unethical and grossly unprofessional. Sometimes I wonder if the lack of competition, often created by manufacturer rules/restrictions that impose an anti-competitive system, allows for this level of complacency. This is a theme not only with boats, but even surprisingly higher end cars. I've had worse problems with a local German car dealership! I even worked with a man who had management difficulties getting his Porsche Carrera GT serviced. Apparently $500k doesn't guarantee service either, albeit he was told in advance that his car would be harder to get serviced then the 'run-of-the-mill Turbo or 4s'.

Be fair. Inform the customer and don't be sloppy! It's hard to get upset with someone who is upfront and hardworking.

Amen to the Mislead part for sure. My mouth is still sour this week after delivery of long awaited boat from out of state dealer. The thing that makes me most mad about this experience is being mislead. Beautiful boat for sure but has lost its allure due to the people part of the transaction. No wonder why people change boat brands seemingly buying a better dealership over a better boat. Malibu has a great product for sure but the dealer experience is very spotty. A few dealers are standouts but most are quite lacking.

The lake we ski at (private) has nine Malibus in its membership of fourteen people. Most were purchased at differing dealers. Only one guy was really happy with his purchase and warranty experience. Tthat is because he is a former Malibu dealer now retired and gets his boats direct from the factory. Good guy to know for sure.