Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie questions

Hmm, sorta of new around here and to the Bu world. I recently purchased a used Sunsetter LXI which has been a lot of fun so far but also head scratching at times. I thought I would ask the help of peeps on the board about the following:

- How do adjust the seal around the drive shaft? That's one big nut and it looks like it requires some serious torque to undo. How do you guys do it?

- The boat came with a shower but it does not work. Is there a valve somewhere (besides the hot/cold in the trunk) controlling the flow? If so, where?

- How do you fix gel coat? The nose tip needs a small patch (an inch in diameter).

- Why is my Bu turning left when I coast into neutral and why is this things so hard to control backing up? Feel free to call me a noob here :unsure:

Thanks in advance for this and for everything I have learned so far by browsing the site. You guys rock.

PS. Oh. One more thing: How do you grease the pylon? Mine spins but is a bit stiff.

Edited by bigwheels

Only gonna answer your last question re "backing up"

Our boats are "Direct Drive". The prop (in forward) is called a LH (left Hand) rotation..... it turns counter-clockwise (as seen from the rear.) So, in reverse, it turns clockwise. As a result, in reverse, your boat's rear end will move to the starboard direction. (See below WHY this happens.) This makes it easy to pull up to a dock (about 30 degrees) on the Drivers side, and reverse when close, pulling the rear end IN to the dock.... lightly kissing the dock in reverse. Comes with practice. Some folks have learned how to feather the throttle in reverse, and actually get the boat to turn left..... I can only do it the odd time.

(Note: I believe CC have the opposite prop rotation..... so everything I say now would be in reverse for them.)

Because our prop-shaft is on an angle, the propeller blades on the left (port) side of their rotation are at a steeper pitch (relative to horizontal travel) than the right (starboard) side. As such, the LEFT side of the boat is feeling a stronger push (in forward) or pull (in reverse). It's like your paddle is out the left side of the boat pulling harder than the right. As a result, your boat will always back to the right..... pulling your rearend RIGHT into the dock.

This effect isn't as noticable in forward, because in forward, the prop is sending a lot of water past the rudder.... which is what causes directional control.

There is also another phenominon that occurs. Since the left side of the prop is at a steeper (relative) pitch to the flow of water, you may also notice your boat tilting right under power.

Hope this helps.

Well Doug covered the backing issue. Like he said, you'll get used to it. It's just different.

- How do adjust the seal around the drive shaft? That's one big a** nut and it looks like it requires some serious torque to undo. How do you guys do it?
Shouldn't require too much torque. There are two nuts on there, one is a jam nut. The nut that is lower on the packing gland is the jam nut, turn that nut clockwise to back it down away from the adjusting nut (the larger one). Once it's away from the adj nut you should be able to turn the adj nut easily by hand (clockwise to tighten). I have found that just barely snugged up by hand yields the desired 1 drip every 8-10 seconds...YMMV Once you get the adj nut adjusted be sure to tighten the jam nut back up against it (counter-clockwise to tighten) so that the adj nut doesn't turn on its own. This is a trial and error procedure (at least it is for me). Adjust it, check it, readjust if necessary. Oh, and very easy on a DD...not so easy on a VD.
- The boat came with a shower but it does not work. Is there a valve somewhere (besides the hot/cold in the trunk) controlling the flow? If so, where?
Not sure, don't have a shower. Dontknow.gif Follow the hoses back from the shower mixing valve and look for secondary valves.
- How do you fix gel coat? The nose tip needs a small patch (an inch in diameter).
If you haven't worked with Gelcoat before I would probably recommend having it done. If you're handy with paints and resins and want to try it yourself...you can pick up a gelcoat repair kit at a West Marine or similar retailer.

Oh ya... Welcome.gif and thank you in advance for self-editing your language. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu

i think his question was why is the boat so hard to control in reverse. The simple answer is the rudder ends up on the wrong side of the prop in reverse and control is limited to the rotational pull of the prop. Once you know this, you just get used to it.

Inboard boats don't back up well. They only have a rudder which depends on water flow from the prop to provide directional control, unlike an I/O where the whole unit turns and actually changes the direction of thrust. The slower the boat goes, the less the flow over the rudder and the less steering control you have. In reverse, there's barely enough water flow over the rudder to give you any control. It's the nature of the beast.

As to showers, they tend to be problematic. Common problems with them include plugged filter screens, dead pump motor, plugged head, plugged hoses, freeze damage to the pump (sometimes showers get overlooked in the winterization process). If you can hear the pump motor when you turn on the shower, I'd start by disassembling the unit and flushing the hoses and cleaning the screen. If you don't hear the pump, check the wiring and circuit breaker, check voltage at the pump terminals, replace the pump and/or motor. There might be a control valve in the supply line between block and shower - you'll have to trace the line to find out.

PS. Oh. One more thing: How do you grease the pylon? Mine spins but is a bit stiff.

Pop the little black cap off the top of the pylon with a very small screwdriver. Hit the cavity with a couple shots of WD-40. It will smooth right out.

Pop the little black cap off the top of the pylon with a very small screwdriver. Hit the cavity with a couple shots of WD-40. It will smooth right out.

I suggest Bo-Shield T9 (from Boeing) instead of WD40.

Mine was very very very very stiff. A few squirts..... next day, spun like a top.

Mine was very very very very stiff. A few squirts..... next day, spun like a top.

:unsure: Maybe some are different than others...Dontknow.gif...underneath the little black cover on my is an allen head "set-screw"-type bolt with an external nut to adjust swivel head tension (6 mm allen head IIRC). I removed that bolt which allow the whole swivel head of the pylon to come off. I cleaned the crusty old grease out of the needle bearings and applied new, clean grease. She is super smooth now. :)

On the shower question, did you have the shower switch on your panel turned on? Breaker for the pump? If that is not on the shower will not work. Also, my shower head is essentilly a garden sprayer and the head has a black shut off valve. If that is not in the open position, again, no shower.

On the shower question, did you have the shower switch on your panel turned on? Breaker for the pump? If that is not on the shower will not work. Also, my shower head is essentilly a garden sprayer and the head has a black shut off valve. If that is not in the open position, again, no shower.

Our shower has a quick disconnect under the seat check to see if it is connected together

i changed the stupid leaky garden sprayer to

l_d107c1ecbd3e8162939405e431d2be76.jpg

:unsure: Maybe some are different than others...Dontknow.gif...underneath the little black cover on my is an allen head "set-screw"-type bolt with an external nut to adjust swivel head tension (6 mm allen head IIRC). I removed that bolt which allow the whole swivel head of the pylon to come off. I cleaned the crusty old grease out of the needle bearings and applied new, clean grease. She is super smooth now. :)

Michael, most of us don't allow the head of the pylon to get crusty. ( :lol: I owed you that.) If you shoot the lube of your choice into the cavity, it will work down to the bearings. Twist the swivel head around to work it in and have a rag nearby if the lube runs out the bottom onto the pylon.

Or you can do it Michael's way--Walk to garage for allen wrench, sprain ankle in driveway. . .limp to toolbox, break thumbnail on latch. . .return to boat, fall off trailer and shatter wrist. . .pull self into boat and realize allen is wrong size, kick pylon from frustration breaking 3 toes. Out for third or fourth season in a row. Tease.gif

Use the boat a few times before adjusting the packing nut. Sometimes the drip slows to an acceptable level.

It should drip though, don't overtighten it.

...Or you can do it Michael's way--Walk to garage for allen wrench, sprain ankle in driveway. . .limp to toolbox, break thumbnail on latch. . .return to boat, fall off trailer and shatter wrist. . .pull self into boat and realize allen is wrong size, kick pylon from frustration breaking 3 toes. Out for third or fourth season in a row.
:lol: --- Cry.gif --- :lol:

I swear this site is making me bipolar. :lol: That is both funny and not funny.

...Or you can do it Michael's way--Walk to garage for allen wrench, sprain ankle in driveway. . .limp to toolbox, break thumbnail on latch. . .return to boat, fall off trailer and shatter wrist. . .pull self into boat and realize allen is wrong size, kick pylon from frustration breaking 3 toes. Out for third or fourth season in a row.

Oh it is very funny. I'm sitting here at work trying not to laugh too hard or too loud. :lol:

Probably just you, it was funny to me.... Whistling.gif
Oh it is very funny. I'm sitting here at work trying not to laugh too hard or too loud. :lol:
:( I kid you not...If I get injured this summer...I will be changing my "name" here to Schleprock (sp?). :lol:

:( I kid you not...If I get injured this summer...I will be changing my "name" here to Schleprock (sp?). :lol:

I'm only seeing the "It's Funny" side too. Must just be you!

BTW - We are laughing "With" you, not at you.

Don't worry, I'm the same way. Just yesterday I almost fell tripping over our vaccum cleaner and took out our kitchen table, I was wearing my flip flops and the handle was laying on the floor which caught on my sandle/toe. My wife started cracking up because just two months ago I fell out of our storage space up in the garage and fell on the boat trailer fender which caused me to get 8 stables in my head. I won't go into any other accidents I have had this year, but it is kind of funny when things like that happen. There is someone out there watching over us or things could be worse ROFL.gif

Don't worry, I'm the same way. Just yesterday I almost fell tripping over our vaccum cleaner and took out our kitchen table, I was wearing my flip flops and the handle was laying on the floor which caught on my sandle/toe. My wife started cracking up because just two months ago I fell out of our storage space up in the garage and fell on the boat trailer fender which caused me to get 8 stables in my head. I won't go into any other accidents I have had this year, but it is kind of funny when things like that happen. There is someone out there watching over us or things could be worse ROFL.gif

Now that's funny right there. What kind of animals will be in 8 of those stables?