Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Id really HATE to do this but.... PLEASE READ AND GIVE OPINION

I have an 06 VLX with nothing but problems:.... only 60 hrs on the boat

2 transmission leaks

2 times taken in for high idle

2 times power wedge inop

Just got back from dealer for memorial day weekend, loaded into water, Battery dead (little pissed), get another boat charge battery, as soon as i start it the "check engine" keeps beeping and wont shut off, now the kicker....... move to throttle to go faster than idle and what do i get... NOTHING!!! I have no throttle past idle. Remind you, my boat has been in the shop for 2 weeks just prior to getting it back from memorial Day weekend. No way in hell they could of water tested it. Im pissed.

I was 95% go on an 07 VLX order but after all this crap Im going through with Malibu I about give up with them.

Need yalls advice on which way to go.....

Correct Craft 210 Team or Mastercraft (undecided on model... little pricey)

Anyone rode behind a CC210 team Edition?

Thanks guys!!!

I can't address your wedge question, but note that MasterCraft uses the same engine and (AFAIK) the same transmission components that Malibu uses. You've had some bad luck with your boat, but I'd have to say that's unusual for a quality boat like Malibu. I wouldn't necessarily indict Malibu for faults in components that they didn't make - I've seen occasional similar frustrated complaints on the MasterCraft forum and the CC forum.

Now, your problems haven't been resolved by your dealer - that might be a reason to switch brands, as long as you can be sure that your MasterCraft or Correct Craft dealer are better dealers. Every boat brand has good dealers and bad dealers.

Edited by Big Mac

IMHO...whenever you see "2 times" used like this, it makes it more of a dealer problem than a Malibu problem.

Sounds like the dealer is the problem. Just because he is a malibu dealer it does not mean he is a good dealer but malibu has a great staff and they care so call them

I'd call up malibu direct and ask for the district rep's number and talk to him directly. If you keep taking the boat in for the same issues they must not be fixing them. Possibly taking stuff apart in an attemp to fix the problem and not putting it back to gether correctly, or at all. I would have to say that your experience is an anomaly and not the norm. I had some issues with my dealer to but someone there stepped up and made things right. Whatever you do it would be foolish to think that other brands don't have issues as well. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out for you and you have a great summer.

Wake, where are you?

(First thing to check on the throttle is to make sure the linkage is hooked up on the throttle body itself)

Peter

Bummer, sorry man.

You've had a bad run, no doubt. Sounds like you're dealer isn't coming through for you. I'd be looking if I were you as well. But I'd look at MC before I looked at a SAN.

Be warned...

These boats are hand made, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I have a number of friends with MC's, SAN's, Calabria, Tige, etc. - they're hand made too and have similar issues.

I hope you get this one worked out or get another and have a better experience.

Good luck!

It sounds like you have my dealer! I agree with the above posts - it sounds more of a dealer problem than Malibu. I bought a Malibu because they are the only brand that sells in my area.

If I were to do it again I would probably go with a MasterCraft X Star or even the Correct Craft 220 (based on opinion from friends who own these boats, not self experience). Nothing is worse than dealing with poor service. I am lucky enough to have a good local mechanic on hand so I wouldn't have to worry about service.

Good luck resolving your issues with the boat.

I'd call up malibu direct and ask for the district rep's number and talk to him directly. If you keep taking the boat in for the same issues they must not be fixing them. Possibly taking stuff apart in an attemp to fix the problem and not putting it back to gether correctly, or at all. I would have to say that your experience is an anomaly and not the norm. I had some issues with my dealer to but someone there stepped up and made things right. Whatever you do it would be foolish to think that other brands don't have issues as well. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out for you and you have a great summer.

Heres the problem....

This delaer is the ONLY Malibu dealer within 3.5 hours of my house. The owner is willing to work with me on the price of a new boat ( approx 15% off msrp... but after all my troubles I really dont think its that great of deal). He going to give me $3000 less than I paid for my 06 VLX last year (bought 52,500 now I get 49,500 on trade[60 hrs on boat]). So if I do call Malibu and give them all my problems what are they actaully going to do? One of two things- Smokin deal on a new boat(doubt it) or just talk to the dealer and maybe piss them off a little and there goes my deal. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

What the heck should I do?

The dealer is also the only CC dealer within a long long ways from em as well. So I only have that dealer or the over price MC.

Heres the problem....

This delaer is the ONLY Malibu dealer within 3.5 hours of my house. The owner is willing to work with me on the price of a new boat ( approx 15% off msrp... but after all my troubles I really dont think its that great of deal). He going to give me $3000 less than I paid for my 06 VLX last year (bought 52,500 now I get 49,500 on trade[60 hrs on boat]). So if I do call Malibu and give them all my problems what are they actaully going to do? One of two things- Smokin deal on a new boat(doubt it) or just talk to the dealer and maybe piss them off a little and there goes my deal. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The dealer is also the only CC dealer within a long long ways from em as well. So I only have that dealer or the over price MC.

FWIW, I would say do not be intimidated by the dealer, the problems on the v-ride sound dealer related. The dealer has pi$$ed you off, a little payback just evens things up.

Wehn you are right, your're right, don't back down. Follow it up with Malibu.

Heres the problem....

Sounds like a pretty good deal from the Malibu dealer, and the odds are that your next Malibu will be as trouble free as the rest of the boats on this forum. Have you tried to work any kind of similar trade deal from the CC or MasterCraft dealer? - actually take your boat over to both dealers and see which one would give you the best trade difference? That indicates to them a level of seriousness that might change the deal they originally quoted you. The first time I looked at my boat on the showroom floor, my price inquiry got me MSRP. When I came back later with my wife and the trade-in boat, we had a whole different pricing discussion and it changed the deal by more than $10,000. I still think you need to look into customer satisfaction for those other two dealers, though, since your primary complaint is with your Malibu dealer, not that particular brand of boat.

Edited by Big Mac

My dealer is a Malibu and Correct Dealer in one store. My only other option is a Mastercraft, but to be honest i dont want a $70K tank.

What to do..... I have the biggest frickin headache over this. Never thought the $50K+ some boat I really wanted would be in the shop more than its in the water.

Here the big question... So i call Malibu then what??? What are they going to actually do?

My dealer is a Malibu and Correct Dealer in one store. My only other option is a Mastercraft, but to be honest i dont want a $70K tank.

What to do..... I have the biggest frickin headache over this. Never thought the $50K+ some boat I really wanted would be in the shop more than its in the water.

Here the big question... So i call Malibu then what??? What are they going to actually do?

That sounds like a good deal from your dealer, I'd jump on it. People usually buying new boats getting 15% off feel they got a good deal. Now only taking a 3k hit on your trade in is amazing. I would take the deal he is giving your and be happy, 99.9% sure you won't have the same problems with the next one.

The dealers are scared sh1t of the manufacturer. I'd call Malibu and see to it the 06 is fixed right, then keep it. If malibu comes down on the dealer you will get satisfaction. When a customer is scared of a dealer, something is wrong. Remember who's 'always right' ?

The dealers are scared sh1t of the manufacturer. I'd call Malibu and see to it the 06 is fixed right, then keep it. If malibu comes down on the dealer you will get satisfaction. When a customer is scared of a dealer, something is wrong. Remember who's 'always right' ?

I beg to differ. Most dealers are respectful of the manufacturer but will do whatever they want because Malibu will do nothing in the form of diciplining them, and the dealers know this. This is espcecially true if the dealer moves alot of units. What's Malibu gonna do cut their own throat. There is another thread on hear that a guy called up Malibu and they couldn't believe the dealer screwed up his boat so bad but told him there is nothing they can do about it. Once the boat hits the dealership it's the dealerships responsibility.

Edited by 06vlx

IMO... if you plan to stay with Malibu or CC, work this out with the dealer not Malibu. It's your choice about the new boat but that is a pretty good deal. This choice would depend on when you got the new boat though. Ask to sit down with the owner and the head service guy together and see why the repairs are going so bad. Make sure they know you are about to get an attitude about this. Get it repaired NOW and make sure it's right before you leave the dealer. Make them water test it with you on board.

When you start going over the dealer's head, you start losing your relationship with the dealer. He will always look at you in a different light. Malibu may or may not do anything but the dealer will remember. If I was having to go over my dealers head to the regional rep I would not stay with my dealer even if he worked it out. It would not be a good relationship and I personally need that good relationship to buy from him again. I would always second guess his prices and actions every time I walked into the dealership without it.

That sounds like a good deal from your dealer, I'd jump on it. People usually buying new boats getting 15% off feel they got a good deal. Now only taking a 3k hit on your trade in is amazing. I would take the deal he is giving your and be happy, 99.9% sure you won't have the same problems with the next one.

Plus1.gif

Sorry to hear about your "piece of dung VLX." ;) Like others have said it sounds like a dealership issue. If I were in your shoes I think I'd go pickup whatever brand has the best service department near you. As stated, all of these boats are hand made, and unfortunately humans are not perfect, even when the product is a $60k boat.

Dealership experience can make or break the deal, unfortunately it looks like it broke the deal for you.

Good luck,

-Richard

Im def in a difficult place. It prob wouldnt be that big of a deal if Malibu wouldnt of jacked up the price from an 06(msrp 48K) to an 07(msrp 55K) for about $7000. If I got a bad boat/service/ luck why should I be charged an extra $7000 for the exact same boat? So pretty much Im going to be paying quite bit more for the same boat, but newer, and hope this doesnt happen again right?

IMHO...whenever you see "2 times" used like this, it makes it more of a dealer problem than a Malibu problem.

Whistling.gif Exactly. Never even had my 05 in for warranty work.

Im def in a difficult place. It prob wouldnt be that big of a deal if Malibu wouldnt of jacked up the price from an 06(msrp 48K) to an 07(msrp 55K) for about $7000. If I got a bad boat/service/ luck why should I be charged an extra $7000 for the exact same boat? So pretty much Im going to be paying quite bit more for the same boat, but newer, and hope this doesnt happen again right?

So, it sounds like he is giving you a good deal on a '07 boat, and a good deal on the trade-in. You're not happy about the $3000 loss in one year, but most here would say that is a screaming deal from the dealer on a trade-in. Try this: Go back to the dealer and try to get another $1000, $2000, whatever that would make you happy. Maybe you get that money in upgrades/pro shop equipment. It's worth a shot.

But that stil lleaves him at least $5K in the hole. Plus applicable taxes and registration and BS time at the DMV.

FIX the dam boat he has and do it NOW!!!!

But that is just me.