Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All of the sudden nothing????

So we load the boat up with some friends (6 adults) and are ready to enjoy a day of wakeboarding and fun. 5 minutes in my buddy jumps in and we start to pull, my wife says she's got the throttle buried (and she does) and the boat is only going 13-14 mph. The nose is high as it can not get going fast enough to plain. I tell her to stop and I put up the wedge, it seems to make a difference, but the throttle feels very stiff and engine sounds/feels a little odd. I take over and the boat handles very weird and it is very hard to get the speed right (and I am using the Malibu cruise control) then I hear an odd noise in the engine, so I put it to neutral. I go to put it in gear and nothing, it's as if it was in neutral like I had the little silver plug pulled out , which I didnt, I checked it several times. The engine would just rev but would not go anywhere. Dontknow.gif So there we are floating around in a brand new VTX (17 hrs.). :( We called the lifeguards and they came and towed us in.

As it turns out we went directly to the dealer and they quickly told us that the transmission was blown. He told us this is very rare, but it does happen. Anyway, we are getting a new transmission and V-Drive assembly. Thumbup.gif Should take about a week to get fixed. It would seem that the odds of this happening again are very, very slim, but as always the people at Tilly's Marine take such good care of us. Clap.gif

Anyway out there with a similar experience or any thoughts on this?

Edited by tmacwake
So we load the boat up with some friends (6 adults) and are ready to enjoy a day of wakeboarding and fun. 5 minutes in my buddy jumps in and we start to pull, my wife says she's got the throttle buried (and she does) and the boat is only going 13-14 mph. The nose is high as it can not get going fast enough to plain. I tell her to stop and I put up the wedge, it seems to make a difference, but the throttle feels very stiff and engine sounds/feels a little odd. I take over and the boat handles very weird and it is very hard to get the speed right (and I am using the Malibu cruise control) then I hear an odd noise in the engine, so I put it to nuetral. I go to put it in gear and nothing, it's as if it was in nuetral like I had the little silver plug pulled out , which I didnt, I checked it several times. The engine would just rev but would not go anywhere. Dontknow.gif So there we are floating around in a brand new VTX (17 hrs.). :( We called the lifeguards and they came and towed us in.

As it turns out we went directly to the dealer and they quickly told us that the transmission was blown. He told us this is very rare, but it does happen. Anyway, we are getting a new transmission and V-Drive assembly. Thumbup.gif Should take about a week to get fixed. It would seem that the odds of this happening again are very, very slim.

Sorry to hear that! Best of luck with the new tranny!

Glad you are being taken care of. That is a bad feeling getting stranded out on the water. I've had that happen before. I was very pleased when one time when it happened I called the dealer and they sent someone down to help us out and then promptly took care of the problem.

Sounds like something was binding in the trans which eventually brought about total failure. It happens time to time,

doubt it will happen again being these trans' are quite dependable with few moving parts.

Well that blows. That's why you buy from Tilly's because of the service they give you. Thumbup.gif

hmmmm, we had the same problem on my buddies new LSV and the dealer told us it was the power wedge.

Not sure if I'm going to explain this right, but here I go:

Apparently if you have the power wedge and hit it down a couple of notches to get it at 3/4, sometimes the engine/brain puts a limit on the power and it won't plain out no matter how much throttle you use. We couldn't plain out nor could we get it over 14mph. However, if you put the wedge back up, the boat would work fine.

The dealer told me to put the wedge all the way down and then bump it up to 3/4 very slowly.

It worked, I couldn't believe it. My dealer rocks! They always answer their personal cell phones if I ever have problems out on the water (even if it's their day off)!!!

hmmmm, we had the same problem on my buddies new LSV and the dealer told us it was the power wedge.

Apparently if you have the power wedge and hit it down a couple of notches to get it at 3/4, sometimes the engine/brain puts a limit on the power and it won't plain out no matter how much throttle you use. We couldn't plain out nor could we get it over 14mph. However, if you put the wedge back up, the boat would work fine.

The dealer told me to put the wedge all the way down and then bump it up to 3/4 very slowly.

It worked, I couldn't believe it. My dealer rocks! They always answer their personal cell phones if I ever have problems out on the water (even if it's their day off)!!!

obviously it wasn't the same problem, cause his transmission was blown Tongue.gif

I think your "problem" is in the wedge gauge. I say "problem" because it's not really a problem. You can get the wedge in the position where it's between half up and all the way up, but the gauge looks like it is in the half position. The boat will not go fast because if the wedge is just a little down, it would probably rip off the boat when up to speed. Just put it down, and bring it back up. When I put it down, I will usually put the wedge all the way down, then tap it to bring it back up slowly.

That seems a little wierd about the power wedge, but I do not have the power, I have the floater. And yes my tranny is blown. Thanks anyway for the feedback. I'm glad to hear your dealer helps you out like that. My dealer is the same,they are always right there for me, they really are top notch!!

So we load the boat up with some friends (6 adults) and are ready to enjoy a day of wakeboarding and fun. 5 minutes in my buddy jumps in and we start to pull, my wife says she's got the throttle buried (and she does) and the boat is only going 13-14 mph. The nose is high as it can not get going fast enough to plain. I tell her to stop and I put up the wedge, it seems to make a difference, but the throttle feels very stiff and engine sounds/feels a little odd. I take over and the boat handles very weird and it is very hard to get the speed right (and I am using the Malibu cruise control) then I hear an odd noise in the engine, so I put it to neutral. I go to put it in gear and nothing, it's as if it was in neutral like I had the little silver plug pulled out , which I didnt, I checked it several times. The engine would just rev but would not go anywhere. Dontknow.gif So there we are floating around in a brand new VTX (17 hrs.). :( We called the lifeguards and they came and towed us in.

As it turns out we went directly to the dealer and they quickly told us that the transmission was blown. He told us this is very rare, but it does happen. Anyway, we are getting a new transmission and V-Drive assembly. Thumbup.gif Should take about a week to get fixed. It would seem that the odds of this happening again are very, very slim, but as always the people at Tilly's Marine take such good care of us. Clap.gif

Good things, having warranty Thumbup.gif