Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New vRide Seat Question

jtrovato

Just picked up the new vRide yesterday and I noticed something that I'm wondering if is normal or not. The back seat that covers the transmission and v-drive, if you kneel or step on the back part of it towards the middle, it bends down and sinks in. It's like the back part of the plastic is coming off of the ledge that it sits on in the back and collapsing in. It only happens when I step on or kneel in the back of the seat. Does this happen to anyone else or should I take it back to the dealer?

I'm not sure if that's normal or not, however I try to make it a general rule not to step in the middle of the seats. You need to know where the crossbeams are located underneath because that is where the strongest points will be.

Anyway, congrats on the new Bu! Thumbup.gif

Congrats on the new vRide! No, that's not normal for that seat to bow like that. Given that it's a new boat, you'll likely come up with several other items for the dealer to look at, so I'd wait a bit before I take it back to them. That is, unless your dealer is super convenient.

Try doing a search. I think others had a similiar problem a while back. I think they ended up having additional support added under the seat to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for the replies. I'll put it on the list for them to look at when it's in for the 10 hour service. That along with the cupholder that blew out of the dash as I was driving down the highway to the river. I did call them about the cupholder and they said come by anytime and just pick up a new one though.

Been there done that!! I had the same issue with my 06 last year....disturbing that it has still not been corrected....

What I don't understand is that Malibu has been making this boat/hull for a long time. Did all of the older VLX's that are the same boat have this problem? Anyway my dealer added an aluminum brace across the bottom of the seat the first time I took it in. That helped some but it would still cave in if someone heavy stepped in the starboard side rear corner. The second time I took it back they added an aluminum brace across the rear of the vdrive opening so the seat can not fall in now...problem solved. It is very annoying when it happens for sure...dealer should take care of you!

I had the same issue on our Vride. I was looking into adding an aluminum brace as well, but called the dealer first... their solution was not to add any aluminum bracing, but simply to move the plastic braces that secure the seat in place. They said all that needed to be done was move the plastic braces that screw into the bottom of the seat a little bit out (or in depending on how you look at it). You can unscrew them with a power drill and drill them back in a better location for a better, more snug fit. I did it myself and worked like a charm. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll post some pics.

Pics would be nice. Mine should be showing up in a couple of weeks and I'll make sure to check for this problem before it leaves the dealer.

Thanks,

Shawn

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, new boat showed up a couple of weeks ago and I'm having the same exact problem. If you step towards the rear of the seat it falls down in to the v drive area. Very annoying and very hard to remember not to step there. I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I take it in for it's first service. Depending on what they say I may just move the braces like smedman stated.

Edited by Helinut
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking a pic of the support brackets...

Basically I just unscrewed them with a power drill and moved them 1/2 inch or so closer to the edge and screwed them back in. Presto! No more stepping through to the tranny!

seat_adjustment.jpg

If the pic doesn't work the link is here: Pic of support bracket adjustment

My dealer did the same thing when I brought it in for the service. They moved those brackets about a half inch to an inch towards the front of the boat and it fixed the problem. Don't know why Malibu doesn't have this right coming from the factory.

My dealer did the same thing when I brought it in for the service. They moved those brackets about a half inch to an inch towards the front of the boat and it fixed the problem. Don't know why Malibu doesn't have this right coming from the factory.

This might be a good thread to forward on to customer service. It's pretty much a known issue it sounds like. I'm taking mine in next week for it's first service and I'll see what they say to fix it. If I don't like what they come up with, I'll have them do the same thing.

I have an 07 vRide too and have the same problem. I'm having my boat picked up this week for a 20 hr check (I missed 10 hrs) and the dealer is supposed to fix this problem too. The service manager said it should be fixed by simply moving the 2 position pieces on the bottom of the seat cushion. I'll let you know if it works.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOAT!!!

Took the boat in this week for the 20 hour. They moved the braces and problem solved. The service manager said he had never seen one have this problem before. Works as it should now though.

Well at least we know it's not limited to one of the factories, seeing as yours was made in CA and mine in TN. Must be something that just doesn't have a tight enough tolerance at the factory. Kinda like the tolerances on the holes for the board racks on the Illusion tower!