Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine vs. automotive parts

I need to replace the alternator on my 2000 SLXi. Do I need to pay the high price at the dealer and maybe wait for them to get it here, or can I just run over to Napa and match it up with an automotive version? A web search turned up one comment about marine alternators needing to be the "spark free type". I don't need monster amps like some of you running stadium sized sound systems (just one of my many inadequacies) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also same question on water pumps (recirculating that is) I read in my clymers manual something about stainless steel parts and a different seal in a marine water pump. Is that true and necessary? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

not sure about the water pump, but do NOT use an automotive alternator (or starter) in the boat.

As VINRLX said, go to skidim.com

...but do NOT use an automotive alternator (or starter) in the boat....

Plus1.gif

Your boat engine is in an enclosed environment. Automobile engines are not. The right amount of fuel vapor and a spark from a non-sealed alternator will ruin your day in a hurry. Spend the extra bucks on the marine (sealed) alternator.

I need to replace the alternator on my 2000 SLXi. Do I need to pay the high price at the dealer and maybe wait for them to get it here, or can I just run over to Napa and match it up with an automotive version? A web search turned up one comment about marine alternators needing to be the "spark free type". I don't need monster amps like some of you running stadium sized sound systems (just one of my many inadequacies) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also same question on water pumps (recirculating that is) I read in my clymers manual something about stainless steel parts and a different seal in a marine water pump. Is that true and necessary? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

I just had my alternator rebuilt by a local alternator shop. There is a difference is marine vs. automotive as stated in the posts below, but a reputable repair shop can get the right replacement parts for you and have you back up and going in a day or two. The best part is it is your alternator that they rebuild and give back to you so you know it will fit properly and work.

My dealer needed 10 days to get the replacement in, that is simply unacceptable particularly given what they charge!

-Dave