Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rope Length for Wake Surfing

bboozer

I am going to pick up a wakesurfer and try and learn on my own.... But, I was wondering what rope lengths everyone was using.... I know that it would probably be different for different loading maybe... But I am planning on starting with the stock Malibu balast and the wedge....... I have some old ropes and handles so I can make it what ever length I need....

<20 is ideal depending on your wave, but you really should get a wakesurf rope/handle combo. They're built for safety and very cheap. Be careful reusing any of those old wakeboard/ski handles.

You couldn't get up on our wave with a 7 foot line and handle. It's going to be dependent on your wave height and length, skill level and safety concerns. I highly recommend using a real smaller dog leash type surf handle.

We've had more than enough crew members here fall thru the regular handle with their arms, legs. If you must build it, I'd cut the handle off and tie big knots in the line like Alibuma did.

I'm guessing but the rope length from the pylon is about 17-19 feet. 5-7 feet is off the back of the platform which is how I gauge it when I throw the handle out and tie it off.

<20 is ideal depending on your wave, but you really should get a wakesurf rope/handle combo. They're built for safety and very cheap. Be careful reusing any of those old wakeboard/ski handles.
You couldn't get up on our wave with a 7 foot line and handle. It's going to be dependent on your wave height and length, skill level and safety concerns. I highly recommend using a real smaller dog leash type surf handle.

We've had more than enough crew members here fall thru the regular handle with their arms, legs. If you must build it, I'd cut the handle off and tie big knots in the line like Alibuma did.

Plus1.gif Couldn't agree more. It's way too easy to have a limb get caught in the handle. There isn't a driver alive that can stop a boat quickly enough if that happens.

IMO...too long is almost just a dangerous as the handle style too. I fell on a rope that another member uses on his boat that I feel was too long. The rope has a braided section on it and when I fell, the braided section zipped right across my face leaving a nice black eye and several more bruises. The rope should be just a little longer than where your sweet spot is on your wave. This way you can pull into the sweet spot and throw the rope. This length WILL be different for different towers and boat lengths. My regular rope had to be changed by about 4' when I went from a Swoop tower to an Illusion. To use the same rope we had to add 8-10' to the original length to use it on a 247.

My surf rope (yellow quicksilver surf rope with big knots) is 20 ft. long I think, with take off loops every 3 ft. We've used 3 positions on it so far, depending on where we hook it and how much weight we have. And we always try to take up the slack, or pull it in altogether, because it is dangerous with it flailing around while you're surfing. I'm always afraid it will wrap around my leg.

http://www.evogear.com/ropes/proline-big-b...tions-2006.aspx

Check this out. I bought this "big-balla" wakesurf rope last year thinking the lack of handle was a real plus. It has worked out very well for us. Its 16' long as I recall. Some of my big guys (250#) use gloves to grip the foam balls - but if you hold onto two with both hands, it works out fine. There's nothing to hit you in the head and the rope is heavy enough that its easy to toss it into the boat.

Edited by Gordo

We have a Vride and hang the rope from the tower. I think it is the Straight Line one with the braids and small black T-handle. It is heavy, but I like it. You can grab anywhere on that thing and not worry about getting rope burn. It is probably about 10-12 feet or so past the transom. it will depend on what type of wake/boat you have.

The other rope I'm familiar with is the Inland Surfer rope. Nice rope as well and has the small wakeboard-ish style handle.

On another note - we rarely toss the rope back into the boat anymore -- we just drop it to the opposite side of the wake... here in the country of TX, where we don't need a 3rd on the boat, it makes it much easier for the driver to just concentrate on driving and when the rider falls, a semi decent driver can just loop back and pick them up without having to throw the rope back. It is also much easier for newbie riders to do than try to throw it back into the the boat. The newbie will inevitably loose balance when trying to throw the rope back in... (bring on the flames!)

...we rarely toss the rope back into the boat anymore -- we just drop it to the opposite side of the wake...
Wasn't there a post just recently about someone who was seriously injured by the surf rope that was "on the other side of the wake"? :unsure:
...we rarely toss the rope back into the boat anymore -- we just drop it to the opposite side of the wake...
Wasn't there a post just recently about someone who was seriously injured by the surf rope that was "on the other side of the wake"? :unsure:

Could be, but seems very unlikely.... however just about anything is possible. Dontknow.gif