Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

340 Monsoon vs. 320 LCR

This has totally been bugging me for a while. It is my understanding that the 340 Monsoon is a $2500 option. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am really trying to understand what one would really get for their $2500. I realize the 2007 has the Catalytic converters.. so naturally it would be more expensive. But let's look at the pre-2007's. I have a 2006 RLXI with the 340 Monsoon, I bought mine used a month ago. For a year now doing my research, I just can't fathom paying $2500 just for resale and a few ponies. Here are the two differences I see: ETX Manifolds, 90 amp alternator versus 70 amp on the LCR.

LCR = 320hp and 375ft lbs torque

Monsoon = 340hp and 397ft lbs torque

So 20hp and 22tq?

Realistically, it must be the manifolds that are different and causing the difference in power. But I really doubt head to head you could feel or see the difference in those two engines. So one would assume since all the specs are the same.. then the Monsoon is the LCR with different Manifolds. So you paid $2500 for manifolds? How much would Malibu sell just those items for?

Does anyone with technical knowledge have a real good reason for this? I need someone to shut me up because it is driving me nuts. There are several guys on this board with the RLXI with the 320 LCR and they don't have a single bad thing to say. So is it a big nuts factor?

http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/Malibu/320-LCR/index.html

http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/Malibu/M...-340/index.html

I can see why the HH 383 is more expensive, but at the end of the day.. it is only a longer stroke, aluminum heads, a hot cam, with a touch more compression. If I am not mistaken, that is another $3000 on top of the Monsoon. That just blows my mind. I took out a 2006 Vride last year with the LCR and it smoked. It was fast as ever, but of course I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison. But it certainly was no slouch and would be more then plenty for me and my group of friends.

Someone set me straight!

Kevin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doughickey

• Bobby Light

• Ozresponse

• Cougar1

I thought it was a $750 option?

Jeez.. I suppose I am way off base here. I was just looking at the window sticker at some of the boats here in town and it had prices next to each option. If the price was $750 bucks why did Malibu even bother? Not a single person in their right mind would by the LCR. You are already dropping 45k+ in most situations, what the hell is 750 more.

I personally think that you will get most of the money back at resale by going with the monsoon even at $2500. The Monsoon is the standard engine in the bigger boats, VLX and up.

Edited by 06vlx

There are some electronic differences as well. I do not know the technical terms but the monsoon is a "smarter" motor as it was two knock sensors that provide feedback as far as timing, air/fuel ratios, etc and the LCR has none. I am sure others can chime in more on the subject than I but that is one difference. Also the monsoon is more than a $750 dollar option with the etx/cats but it is not $2500.

The Monsoon is a better way to go for sure in power, resale, and fuel consumption. Go with it you'll be happy!!! It's a small price to pay for the long end.

We had the LCR in our 05 Response CB.

We have the LCR in our 06 Response CB.

And we will have the LCR in our 08 RLXi.

It's a fantastic engine that provides more power than we probably will ever need.

Also the monsoon is more than a $750 dollar option with the etx/cats but it is not $2500.

The Monsoon is a $2500 option in Australia. Might have got mixed up with that price. I had the 325hp monsoon in my last response and the lcr this time as it is effectively the same motor.

I know when I bought mine last year (pre-cats of course) it was an extra 800 $ for the Monsoon so I went with it. I figured that for that extra money it was a no brainer to have the extra horses and a little more bling factor.

I know when I bought mine last year (pre-cats of course) it was an extra 800 $ for the Monsoon so I went with it. I figured that for that extra money it was a no brainer to have the extra horses and a little more bling factor.

Plus1.gif I also agree that it is worth it for the resale value. I know our dealer pushes the Monsoon because it does give more bang for the buck.

It's a fantastic engine that provides more power than we probably will ever need.

Those are all ski boats and wiegh less than the wakeboats, and you aren't loading it all up with ballast for surfing and boarding, big difference.

Those are all ski boats and wiegh less than the wakeboats, and you aren't loading it all up with ballast for surfing and boarding, big difference.

Yes.gif

Well, the OP has a RLXi...so Chaabo's comment regarding his "skiboats" w/ LCR's is relevant. :) Edited by NorCaliBu

Well, the OP has a RLXi...so Chaabo's comment regarding his "skiboats" w/ LCR's is relevant. :)

Good catch didn't remember that. With that said the LCR should be just fine then.

Well if there definitely a difference then great. Surely the LCR has the same knock sensors... those barely cost anything.. and it is the same block so why not just drop a couple in for safety? If the price is only 800-1500 then I would definitely buy it for resale and bling factor. But in the case of the RLX and RXLI... there is no real need for it. Here in CO.. we are altitude challenged.. so we need all we can get...

The monsoon would not be noticeably different from the LCR in a loaded wakeboarding boat in my opinion, I would upgrade to a big block if that was the case for me. The next lowest downgrade from the monsoon when I got my boat was the 310 carb-ie and I wanted MPFI. If the LCR was available in 03, I would have been happy with that. I got the upgrade at 50% list price, which made it much easier to absorb.

Well if there definitely a difference then great. Surely the LCR has the same knock sensors... those barely cost anything.. and it is the same block so why not just drop a couple in for safety? If the price is only 800-1500 then I would definitely buy it for resale and bling factor. But in the case of the RLX and RXLI... there is no real need for it. Here in CO.. we are altitude challenged.. so we need all we can get...

One of the other major differences is that the monsoon is now a ture closed loop system as far as the engine management side of things go. It has two O2 sensors mounted in the exhaust manifolds to continuously monitor exhuast gas content. The LCR does NOT have these. They allow for a way more precise calculation of fuel demand for the motor. The LCR has no way of telling if the motor is rich or lean , just goes by what IT THINKS is correct. This is gonna provide better fuel metering : ie hpg,cause I garuntee indmar does not run the fuel trims lean on the LCR. Lean=detonation especially with no knock sensor to tell the ecm that it's happening. Detonation can lead to holes in pistons if it goes on for too long.

In That, I will let you know that I too battled this scenerio with my recent order. I eneded up with the monsoon, here is why. 1: I really liked the fact of the true closed loop system in knowing what that offered. 2: I was all for the new cat system knowing that it would cut down on some off the dangerous emissions at the platform. better for surfing and the family in my mind. 3: Why not help out the envrioment while your at it, every bit helps.(I guess it makes me feel a little better) :unsure: 4: Resale. 5: I like saying 340 horse instead of 320. Biggrin.gif

FWIW, my dealer, when I purchased my 2006 LSV, stated that the Monsoon was a $900 upgrade, but

that it cost them $450. I would have preferred the Monsoon at that cost, but they only had the LCR

in their 21 LSVs, and I didn't want to special order (early summer when I sold my old boat).

The dealer insisted that I'd never feel the difference, and I think he was probably right. The 21 LSV,

like those ski boats above, doesn't have any ballast tanks. Plus, it was hard to imagine that if the

Monsoon is an appropriate engine for a 23 LSV Wakesetter, a heavier boat even without ballast, then

the LCR, with just 20 fewer ponies, isn't plenty for an un-weighted 21 LSV.

As far as resale value, my dealer insisted that it was just the NADA value listed for the upgrade,

nothing more, nothing less. Now, admittedly, there will be potential buyers in the future who may

not even look at my boat because it doesn't have the Monsoon, and that's not an insignificant point.

But, I figure that perspective buyers looking for a great little crossover boat, as opposed to a wake-

boarding boat, are likely to be less insistent as far as the "Monsoon mystique." I guess time will tell.

FWIW, my dealer, when I purchased my 2006 LSV, stated that the Monsoon was a $900 upgrade, but

that it cost them $450. I would have preferred the Monsoon at that cost, but they only had the LCR

in their 21 LSVs, and I didn't want to special order (early summer when I sold my old boat).

The dealer insisted that I'd never feel the difference, and I think he was probably right. The 21 LSV,

like those ski boats above, doesn't have any ballast tanks. Plus, it was hard to imagine that if the

Monsoon is an appropriate engine for a 23 LSV Wakesetter, a heavier boat even without ballast, then

As far as resale value, my dealer insisted that it was just the NADA value listed for the upgrade,

nothing more, nothing less. Now, admittedly, there will be potential buyers in the future who may

not even look at my boat because it doesn't have the Monsoon, and that's not an insignificant point.

But, I figure that perspective buyers looking for a great little crossover boat, as opposed to a wake-

boarding boat, are likely to be less insistent as far as the "Monsoon mystique." I guess time will tell.

This sums it up very well, well put.

As myself working in the purchasing dept of a U.S. automaker, with a decent idea of what the manufacturer's cost of engines are, SRAB is on the right track. The end cost to the consumer in this case is almost purely mark-up from Indmar to Malibu, from the factory to the dealer, and from the dealer to the consumer. I'm really not familar with the different engines, but I'd be shocked if there were more than $200 in true cost to Indmar differentiating these 3 engines if bore and stroke are the main differences.

Badger

I am under the belief that the difference is that the Monsoon was the corvette engine, LT1, version with cast iron heads instead of the Al. heads. So, same stroke and bore as the LT1 only in all cast iron. The LCR is different in stroke and bore. Weather you can feel it or not is up to the user.

Remember Cougar, you're already missing 12-18% of that 340HP due to altitude.

The monsoon would not be noticeably different from the LCR in a loaded wakeboarding boat in my opinion,

Plus1.gif

I have the 320 in our Vride - and we are generally wakesurfing/wakeboarding with stock ballast, extra ballast and the wedge. Many times with lots of people on the boat as well. It has been plenty of Horsepower for us... For an "entry level" Malibu, I doubt that when we go to sell the boat someone in that market will worry if it is a Monsoon or not. If they are worried about that, then they would probably by buying a newer/more expensive boat anyway. The v-ride is a damn good all around boat with the 320.

I am under the belief that the difference is that the Monsoon was the corvette engine, LT1, version with cast iron heads instead of the Al. heads. So, same stroke and bore as the LT1 only in all cast iron. The LCR is different in stroke and bore. Weather you can feel it or not is up to the user.

Remember Cougar, you're already missing 12-18% of that 340HP due to altitude.

Well I know for a fact after contacting Indmar today.. the LCR and Monsoon are in fact the same block with the same bore and stroke. Don't read into my initial start. I love my Monsoon, but I also bought mine used and for a smoking deal. I had intended to buy a 2007 RLXI, but almost threw up all over the boat when they showed me what "boat show price" was... and then they showed me MSRP.. hell I had to lay down with an ice pack on my head. So I figured... why the hell not buy a 2006 RLXI with the Monsoon with less then 100 hours on the clock. I ended up buying a Promo boat from Valley, NE. I saved 15k off 2007 boat show price. I mean.. how bad can the 2006 RLXI be... right? I bought it sight unseen... just pics... Full warranty sold as new. Plus my skiing skill level is intermediate at best. My buddies are far better than I am. But I know if this boat is good enough for the pro tournaments, then it will be good to me for years to come.

I was just making a statement that it bugs me on the new boat sales that one has to make that decision and I feel you don't get much for your money. That is why I posted so I could get someone to shut up the tiny voices in my head... wait.. or is that sound coming from my pocket... I think I hear a little birdy... what is it saying... "cheap cheap.... cheap cheap..." That describes me perfectly... I want my cake and eat it too.

Forget 12-18%... on a dynometer depending on day, weather, barometer and humidity... you are more likely to lose 21-24% due to our altitude.

I used to have a Single turbo Supra with 650rwhp corrected horsepower... uncorrected on the dyno I was running 507rwhp... roughly 22% lost.

By that formula... my Monsoon is 265.2... ouchy!

I thought the 340 hp has a roller cam also. One thing if you think the torqur is somthing you will need go for it but the hp will not give you much in speed. The hull is the biggest governing factor. To make a boat fast you need to get the hull out of the water. To shape a wake you need the hull in the water. Ski boats will not go fast and that is all ..... :(:(Cry.gif The closed loop is needed for the cats to be efficient. It will control cat temp witch make the cat's work well. Ya you have a more precise fuel control but if it still has batch injection you lose fuel economy. I would bet the the valve springs may be different and maybe the angles of cuts on the valve seat. Thare is so much hp available in the heads cam and valve train and intake.