Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What makes a good barefoot wake?

Gibbo

Hi, I am wondering what you look for in a wake as a barefooter?? What makes one wake better than another? I have not barefooted for 20 years but am considering giving it a try again ths summer. Thanks for your input!

Gibbo

smooth table, well defined crests and curl...many would say that a sportster or pre-98 response and echelon are the best. Although a sunsetter (I-ride, DD wakesetter, sunkicker, etc) has very well defined crests but is a little bit bigger.

No dips or holes in the table. Many boats leave a rooster tail or worse, a "hole" where the rooster tail comes back down. Either will put your face against the water very quickly if you're not careful.

Well defined crests are important for competition barefooting. During the wake slalom event a skier gets credit for how many times he or she can cross the wake in a given amount of time. The judges need to be able to tell where one crossing ends and another begins, which is very difficult to do on many inboard wakes.

I am also wondering how long of a rope is recomended?

Gibbo

Depends on the boat. It's been a long time since I skied behind a Sportster, but I think you should be just fine with 75'.

I throw an extra 10 ft. on my BF line. It came with the rope. Don't know if it matters though, but it puts you farther away from the prop wash. I myself prefer to be out of the wake, either side, it doesn't matter to me. That is also were I step off. Never used a boom, they were not invented yet when I learned (BICBW). Off the subject a bit. A jet boat gives you a very comfortable table because there is like foam on it and no prop wash. The day I got it, I was behind a jet boat.

Edited by electricjohn
Hi, I am wondering what you look for in a wake as a barefooter?? What makes one wake better than another? I have not barefooted for 20 years but am considering giving it a try again ths summer. Thanks for your input!

Gibbo

Flightcraft Outboard

Gibbo

Flightcraft Outboard

BEat me to it, there is one where I ride, and the Senior Citizens were out riding last weekend Biggrin.gif I figured they will be resting the next few weekends though ROFL.gif

Gibbo

Flightcraft Outboard

See Avatar. Rockon.gif

Billfooter had one before his Response. If he could have kept the Black thing on the back together he'd probably still have it. I sure was sweet for barefooting. Only boat I know of that was as close was the old Mastercraft Prostar 190 outboards. And No I'm not talking about the Powerstar 200's.

These were the boats Mike Siepel used back in his hay days. He had Yamaha's on his. If you watch his old videos they used them in Hot Rockin Feet videos. Nice soft and flat table, crisp but not too sharp curl. Much like the the outboard flightcraft.

They say the Inboard Flighty was a sweet boat too. Supposedly it was what the Sportster was derived from. Still the Flighty Inboard looked super Fast and sweet looking boat on the water. I'd like to have one of them with the new Hammerhead in it!!!!

Bob

Edited by Sunset_Bob

Siepel used Ski Centurion Barefoot Warrior boats with Yammy power when I was there. Narrow hulls, but they flew.

Outboard Barefoot Sanger beats them all. If you haven't skied one, find one, it's incredible. I haven't skied a better footing wake yet.

Siepel used Ski Centurion Barefoot Warrior boats with Yammy power when I was there. Narrow hulls, but they flew.

:lol: Man, you telling how old you are.....it was a long long time ago when he used the Barefoot Warrior by Ski Centurion.

36 doesn't feel THAT old Dontknow.gif Well, wait....I guess it was 1983 when I first stepped off that ski Cry.gif . That's how long it took to own my first Malibu Mad.gif .

Edited by J.Iverson

Gibbo

If you can get behind one, a Malibu Flightcraft is amongst the best in the business for the shape, firmness across the table and the size of the curl as to being minimum is size. When the Flightcraft was to go the way of the Dodo bird, we experimented with the Malibu Sportster and our own version of the Scarpa suppresion plate. The result was outstanding! When we approached Malibu about this we were informed that the Sportster was soon to get a bullet to the head. Seems precious production slots were better suited for more expensive boats such as the Response. So imagine the Response became a barefooter as a result. Since you've got a Sportster then your over the hard part.

Gibbo

Flightcraft Outboard

They are going to bury me in mine. Got two other Bu's in the driveway including a 06 Response LXI barefooter. My Flightcraft outboard is still my favorite. Heard a rumor at the Denver Boat show this year that someone at Malibu is considering a special production run of Flightcrafts. One time only and get in line. If that is the case I'm in for another one. Don't give a crap what is costs as long it is as good as the previous versions. No more Mercury Outboards however as the repower Optimax on my boat is a rolling ball of......! Yamaha or the E-tec Evinrude for the next round.

• 2 weeks later...
S P E E D!

Yes, and the wake is flat on top with crests that are well defined, but not too tall. The inboard is not without an advantage though...pulling skiers on the boom is MUCH easier on the driver.

Yep, speed it is. Especially at altitude. Here at 5000 ft (Denver) you don't get many inboards that aren't a Sanger with an 8.1L engine, to go over 42/43 pulling a heavy footer. Flightys/OB Sangers with a 200 Merc will get 46/47. How a miss sea level. I'd like to find someone with a Sportster and 383 out here to give it a rip.......

S P E E D!

Yes, and the wake is flat on top with crests that are well defined, but not too tall. The inboard is not without an advantage though...pulling skiers on the boom is MUCH easier on the driver.

+1 YES the wakes are FLAT and Narrow and crisp edged, just awsome to ski on.

Hate to say it but I would have loved to foot behind a Sangar, either the outboard or the DX2 they look sweet.

Did I read RUMORS ??? WTF I would sell everything I own to get another one...J/K

Mine is going on 13 years old and is still in great shape, I wouldnt trade for anythng but another Flighty OB.

Yep the Boom on the outboard is not fun for the driver....My wife HATES driving when I am on it.

Only downside to the boat is driving with the boom.....and no power steering :(

John