Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower vs. Skylon

thealy

Are there any technical reasons why a Tower is better or worse than a Skylon? Sure the Tower looks cool and provides a place to store your boards, but other than that, is there really any advantage?

a tower is more ridgid,,,and your boat seems to stay more "stabil"than with the sky-pole. plus they look good!!

Don't forget the $500 of wakeboard racks on the tower!!!! Then you be stylin !!!!! Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Edited by Gordo

And dont' forget having to put it up and take it down every time I take the boat out of the lift. I think i will go with a skylon that I can easly remove. 95% of my time the skylon is not required any ways.

hahaha...what a blast form the past!! I remember this being discussed ad nauseum on the old mbo. Many people said I was crazy that a tower-equipped boat rolled to the side less than one with a skylon. Well, it's still true. The tower doesn't get near the leverage that a skylon does to list the boat...so the answer is yes.

Isn't Skylon a brand name? Dontknow.gif

Are you comparing the poles vs towers, or Skylon towers vs Illusion towers?

Looks, performance, style - the ownly downside is cost and installation

My Friend had a pole on his boat for a few years, and it always ended up loosening his pylon.

Maybe it was the brand of pole he had, but the way you had to strap it to the front of the boat

put a lot of pressure on the pylon. He ended up leaving it off because his pylon would get so

loose quickly that he was afraid of skiing on it if he didn't have the pole on it.

--Robert

Isn't Skylon a brand name? Dontknow.gif

Are you comparing the poles vs towers, or Skylon towers vs Illusion towers?

Looks, performance, style - the ownly downside is cost and installation

Yeah, comparing the Poles vs the Towers.

I remember this being discussed ad nauseum on the old mbo. Many people said I was crazy that a tower-equipped boat rolled to the side less than one with a skylon. Well, it's still true. The tower doesn't get near the leverage that a skylon does to list the boat...so the answer is yes.
:Doh: Not this again. You know since that asinine discussion a buddy of mine with a 99 Sportster LX put a tower on his boat (I have a 2000 Sporty LX w/ a Skylon 2 pc pole). Having wakeboarded behind both and driven both pulling wakeboarders I can tell you from personal experience that there is no difference at all. Period. And if any boat would be affected, it would be a small, lightweight boat like the Sportster.
...the only downside is cost and installation
That and added weight, which does matter to a slalom skier. The cost difference is no small thing either. You can pick up a pole for around $200. A tower will cost you ten times that plus racks. If you only wakeboard "some"...go with the pole...no question.

We don't need to rehash, but obviously I'm not the only one thinks this...see wakebord's post.

And by the way, we had extended pyloned boat (RLX), which we then put tower on, and there was quite a difference. I will buy into the argument that some boats are affected more or less than others, but a towered boat, for sure, lists less. Weight and ability of rider have a huge factor on that too. If you've got kids doing wake jumps, no, I wouldn't think there'd be much difference, but you put someone out there with 80 feet and doing a big move, there is a noticeable difference.

No matter what, any pylon gets a lot of stress put on it with a pole and it does fatigue the base/mounts.

In deciding between a pole or a tower, this fact alone would be enough to make me go with a tower hands down.

If a pole is used on an open bow, that front line is always in the way and can leave rub marks.

A good plus for a tower is that it's a nice way to mount a bimini top.

Wakeside has a couple of good choices that easily collapse from $1000-$1400.

I just bought the “Element” not long ago and it looks nice and folds down very well.

For $1000 bucks it’s great compared to others selling for 2-3 times that.

I remember this being discussed ad nauseum on the old mbo. Many people said I was crazy that a tower-equipped boat rolled to the side less than one with a skylon. Well, it's still true. The tower doesn't get near the leverage that a skylon does to list the boat...so the answer is yes.
:Doh: Not this again. You know since that asinine discussion a buddy of mine with a 99 Sportster LX put a tower on his boat (I have a 2000 Sporty LX w/ a Skylon 2 pc pole). Having wakeboarded behind both and driven both pulling wakeboarders I can tell you from personal experience that there is no difference at all. Period. And if any boat would be affected, it would be a small, lightweight boat like the Sportster.
...the only downside is cost and installation
That and added weight, which does matter to a slalom skier. The cost difference is no small thing either. You can pick up a pole for around $200. A tower will cost you ten times that plus racks. If you only wakeboard "some"...go with the pole...no question.

$$$

I am a slalom skier and I would rather have a tower, but for 10 x the price it isn't worth it to me. I also like the looks of the fly high pole I have compared to a tower IMO. you also don't have to drill into the gelcoat, etc.

if you mainly wakeboard there is no question a tower is far more rigid and user friendly, as long as it folds down...

We don't need to rehash, but obviously I'm not the only one thinks this...see wakebord's post.
You mean this one?
a tower is more ridgid,,,and your boat seems to stay more "stabil"than with the sky-pole. plus they look good!!
So the person you find to collaborate your position is incapable of spelling "rigid" and "stable" (and don't even get me started on capitalization and punctuation) and you think that gives your position credence? ROFL.gif Ya, OK. ROFL.gif I'm sure he's got an dual degree in engineering and physics...he just skipped English class. ROFL.gif

Innocent.gif Sorry, I'm done now. :lol: Apparently I'm feeling a little irritable tonight. :lol:

I am a slalom skier and I would rather have a tower, but for 10 x the price it isn't worth it to me...
There it is. That and it would have to easily quick-release off of the boat so that I didn't have to take it with me during slalom sets.
You mean this one?
So the person you find to collaborate your position is incapable of spelling "rigid" and "stable" (and don't even get me started on capitalization and punctuation) and you think that gives your position credence? ROFL.gif Ya, OK. ROFL.gif I'm sure he's got an dual degree in engineering and physics...he just skipped English class. ROFL.gif

Innocent.gif Sorry, I'm done now. :lol: Apparently I'm feeling a little irritable tonight. :lol:

I am a slalom skier and I would rather have a tower, but for 10 x the price it isn't worth it to me...
There it is. That and it would have to easily quick-release off of the boat so that I didn't have to take it with me during slalom sets.

ours has the eye built in so you don't have to remove it, but I usually do when I'm behind the boat. it creeks for slalom more than wakeboard, but for open water skiers I find the eye is fine.

the 20 foot slalom boats like mine don't kick up a huge wake anyways, the extra rigidity won't do anything for you with these little boats. you need to increase the wake size first.

Thumbup.gif

$200 vs $2000 is A okay for me!

And dont' forget having to put it up and take it down every time I take the boat out of the lift. I think i will go with a skylon that I can easly remove. 95% of my time the skylon is not required any ways.

Plus1.gif

Why not have best (or worst) of both worlds... go with this:

Tower-Extension-Comp.jpg

Plus1.gif

Why not have best (or worst) of both worlds... go with this:

Tower-Extension-Comp.jpg

I've never seen one of those and don't plan on it.. that is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but I bet you get more air.

I'd rather go off a ramp at 70mph...