Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Trick

Headhunter 2317

I was watching "Secret Spot" and this white haired kid does a full body extension and then gets his feet back under him in time to land. What is that move called?

Somebody told me it was called a Superman.

I think I want to try it. Surprised.gif

Any suggesting that will keep me out of the emergency room?

Air Raley.

Air Raley: Board is thrown out behind the rider and above the head in a "Superman" fashion - Invented by Darin Shapiro.
Edited by jvianco

I weigh 230. The physics of this are looking a little hazardous.....

The impact of me hitting the water is like a "Bunker Buster".

I weigh 230.  The physics of this are looking a little hazardous.....

Shocking.gif Aww, come on, give it a try... Surprised.gif

One thing though....WE WANT VIDEO!!.... :lol:

I weigh 230.  The physics of this are looking a little hazardous.....

lol. Not quite landing the Raley is definitely one of the most painful falls you can take. The worst is when you do the whole thing right but don't quite get your board all the way back down so the endge catches and you slam into the water.

Another interesting fall I have taken twice now is when you try to do the raley but don't hold on tight enough. The rope gets ripped out of your hand as you try to stop your front flip momentum so you continue the flip and land right on the family jewels.

It is definitely my favorite trick because of the "superman" factor but it is tough to get over the mental hurdle of convincing yourself to try one. The first time someone told me about it I was like "You want me to do WHAT?!?!?@?!?"

There are many people that are just a bit lighter than you that can do that trick... I'm certainly not one of them though.

From what I hear, you can start learning this trick on a wake skate so your feet are not bound to the board. It makes it easier to get your feet back under you, or let go of the rope and go into the water feet first w/o injury. Once you get the "air awareness" and "muscle memory", then you can move up to the wakeboard.

I think that I will pass. There are plenty of cool tricks to do without that kind of impact.

There was a funny video on "the old site" of the guy in Hawaii (I think his name was Keith) going in for a raley and jumping completely out of his bindings. It was pretty good.

From what I hear, you can start learning this trick on a wake skate so your feet are not bound to the board.  It makes it easier to get your feet back under you, or let go of the rope and go into the water feet first w/o injury.  Once you get the "air awareness" and "muscle memory", then you can move up to the wakeboard.

that is a great idea. I have tried it once or twice and the results haven't been pleasant..... Having no board attached may make it a bit easier to commit!

From what I hear, you can start learning this trick on a wake skate so your feet are not bound to the board.  It makes it easier to get your feet back under you, or let go of the rope and go into the water feet first w/o injury.  Once you get the "air awareness" and "muscle memory", then you can move up to the wakeboard.

Doing Raleys and other tricks off the wakeskate is defintely fun and can seriously diminish the hurt factor. You can throw pretty much anything you want off a wakeskate and just tuck up into a ball when you hit the water and it won't hurt, especially if you wear a wetsuit. The only problem with learning on a wakeskate is that many people can't jump very high off them because it is harder to cut in well without bindings.

To do a real Raley I prefer to use an EXTRA long rope (80 ft) and have serious weight in the boat going about 23 mph. The bigger you go the more time you have to get the board back under you and the eaiser it is. Cut out as far as you possibly can and come screaming in on edge as fast as you can perpendicular to the wake (more aggressive than a normal progressive cut). Make sure you stay hard on the heel edge all the way up and off the wake and only then let the board fly back behind you and over your head. Keep your eyes on the tower to keep from rotating and pull the handle down towards your ankles. You will see the water rushing by underneath and if you did everything right you will see the board between you and the water just before you land.

It takes alot of determination to learn the trick but it is not all that technical to pull off. I was lucky enough to land the first one I tried but then crashed horribly on the next 20 or so before I landed another one.

I had a friend try this trick and the first time he did it, cracked 2 ribs. On that note, you should give it a try!

Air Raley.
Air Raley: Board is thrown out behind the rider and above the head in a "Superman" fashion - Invented by Darin Shapiro.

FYI... The move was named after his (Darin's) coach Chet Raley.

Edited by aneal000
Another interesting fall I have taken twice now is when you try to do the raley but don't hold on tight enough.  The rope gets ripped out of your hand as you try to stop your front flip momentum so you continue the flip and land right on the family jewels.

Hey, just a thought. I have seen this move a bunch and there is a very simple explanation for why you can't hold on. What happens is when you come in to a raley with your arms "in" at all it's like doing a chin up with a bunch of weight on your feet - meaning it ain't gonna happen. If you straighten out your arms, or reach for the top of the tower as you hit the wake your arms will be extended and the rope won't pop out of your hands. When your arms are tucked in, the pull forces your arms out and when your arms are straight you physically don't have the strength to hold on and the handle pops out of your hands and you proceed into a front flip.

the other goodie is the s-bend.  chaunce, can you do that one?  it is by-far my favorite trick, it looks good and gahddamn, is it hard!

http://forum.wakeboard.com.sg/videos/trick...sbend-roger.mov

The S-Bend is my favorite trick too! It just looks awesome! Esp with shaprio does them huge! I'd post a pic... but, well nevermind.

I've never succeeded getting the board back underneath me yet. I usually end up dumping the rope and just diving in head first. Board pops right off and no pain.

I've never succeeded getting the board back underneath me yet. I usually end up dumping the rope and just diving in head first. Board pops right off and no pain.

That is what happens to me too. I suspect the pain everyone is referring to is as you get closer to believeing you might land it you may decide to hold on to the rope and then SMACK!!!!! The leading edge catches and your eyeballs turn inside out....

the other goodie is the s-bend.  chaunce, can you do that one?  it is by-far my favorite trick, it looks good and gahddamn, is it hard!

http://forum.wakeboard.com.sg/videos/trick...sbend-roger.mov

Im pretty sure I cannot do that trick but Im also pretty sure I will give it a try. If I ever work up the courage I will definitley take video so the doctors can analyze it afterwards. Biggrin.gif

One time I accidently did almost a complete 360 in the middle of a raley but it was due to a bad takeoff and the landing involved more head than it did board.

The S-Bend is not much harder than a raley, it just takes serious you know what to try it. the hardest part is getting past the first 180. When I was learning them I would get stuck upside down and land that way. Fun. The trick is done just like a raley, but when you hit the wake let your arms extend out past your head and look down into your (rear) armpit by bringing your rear arm up, which initiates the rotation. It's easier than you might think if you have a solid raley.

I think I'm just going to stick with wake jumps and 180's. I've got those licked and can ride without taking a header. The tower makes the jumps just like a bunny hop. Zing! Any you are over the wake... Yahoo.gif

The leading edge catches and your eyeballs turn inside out....

Crazy.gifROFL.gif

I've never got up the nerve to try this trick, a friend of mine did it at the end of winter and brused a couple of ribs.

I made such a big deal out of this trick until I learned how to do it. Now it is the goto trick in rough water when you can't throw anything else. It is definitely the simplest of the inverts to me.

It is all the cut once you get the right cut and keep your arms straight like aneal said the trick just happen's. I took some hard falls learning it because I had always heard that you had to go big and attack the wake. Once I slowed down and cut from about 10 feet from the wake it just went up and came right back down no problem. I am trying to get the courage to try one switch so my friends who ride regular can watch and learn.

Edited by Mazeing5