Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On board equipment

obski

When I was out today I was dodging an incredible amount of debris, including logs up to 14 inches in diameter and a whole tree - branches and all. In the middle of all of that, somehow I managed to get a big wad of poly rope wrapped around my prop and shaft. I never saw it floating down the river and fortunately i discovered something wasn't right while I was idling. I had to swim under the boat to unwrap and cut it away from the prop and shaft. Fortunately I keep a Leatherman tool in the boat, which helped tremendously, but I was thinking that a pair of goggles or a swim mask would have also been very helpful.

Does anyone keep goggles or mask in the boat as part of your on board equipment? If so, what do you have and what works well?

I keep a U.S. Divers mask on board for just such instances. Ditch the snorkel though, it just gets in the way. I also keep a small, very sharp knife on-board but one that I wouldn't care about losing. I'd hate to drop my Leatherman while working in deep water underneath the boat.

I think the idea of having a sharp inexpensive knife on board is a good one. I did think about that as I thought how unhappy I would be if I dropped the Leatherman.

I have some old dive masks sitting around here someplace. I think one of them need to be stored in the 'Bu.

I added a fire extinguisher just in case and a first aid kit.  Boy Scout stuff eh?

Fire extinguisher is mandatory here, USCG says so. With two boys...a fully stocked first aid kit is required as well. Biggrin.gif

I have a mask and snorkle on my "buy sometime" list because a friend of mine has caught a rope on the prop/shaft before. After reading this thread it occurs to me that the snorkle wouldn't matter much at all so my list is shorter......

As for the knife, attache a nice loop of string to the knife and wrap it around your wrist before entering the water. I've done this with prop wrenches on my old I/O and it works wonders when changing props. I dropped the prop wrench several times......

Jeff

I added a fire extinguisher just in case and a first aid kit.  Boy Scout stuff eh?

Fire extinguisher is mandatory here, USCG says so. With two boys...a fully stocked first aid kit is required as well. Biggrin.gif

The fire extinguisher is mandatory here as well.

I also keep a first aid kit and needed to use a few bandaids yesterday out of it. That prop is sure sharp. NOthing serious, but I did manage to trim one nail back (and I had just clipped it the day prior), and get a couple of small shallow lacs.

As for the knife, attache a nice loop of string to the knife and wrap it around your wrist before entering the water.  I've done this with prop wrenches on my old I/O and it works wonders when changing props.  I dropped the prop wrench several times......

Jeff

The string idea is a good one. I will look for one of those inexpensive folding rope knives and attach some string to it. Something like this Gerber knife would work well. Or something similar.

if Doug Hickey gets a hold of this thread and sends in his inventory list from the supply barge he tows behind his Bu, ya'll will turn in your Boy Scout marine preparedness merit badges in shame...

I love this site! :) I would never have thought of a mask or knife until I needed them and didn't have them on board. Great topic!

The fire extinguisher is mandatory here as well.

I also keep a first aid kit and needed to use a few bandaids yesterday out of it. That prop is sure sharp. NOthing serious, but I did manage to trim one nail back (and I had just clipped it the day prior), and get a couple of small shallow lacs.

I keep meaning to put a first aid kit in my boat.

Last year in a wipeout my slalom fin cut a big gash in my toe and I didn't have anything to stop the bleeding. Fortunately the blood washed out of the carpet very easily.

Great thread. I wrapped the rope from my tie-off buoy around the prop 1st time out last weekend. Crazy.gif Luckily, we are right next to the ramp so we just walked it on the trailer and unwound the rope. Unfortuneately, the 2 5 gallon buckets of concrete were still on the other end of the rope. That's some tough swimming when you can't touch bottom. Cry.gif

I'm gonna throw a cheapo mask and knife on a string in the glovebox this weekend. Don't forget your safety stop coming up after you cut the rope off! :lol:

My son has his mask on board so I would just use that. As for a list of things that I care.

small tool set

drain plugs of different sizes, for other who forgot there's. I did that ONCE.

jumper cables.

one qt oil, trans, gear oil.

electrical wire, fuse's and ends.

water proof matches.

2 knife's.

extra towels.

tp, paper tower, forks, paper plates, cups, bottle opener, note tablet and pen.

hooks, and rings

spot light.

extra flag.

first aid kit and bee sting kit.

Sorry no air horn or fling flare's.

YET Biggrin.gif

I keep a pair of goggles in my boat at all times. They come in real handy when replacing slalom course buoys. I also keep a small tool set on board. Never know when you might need it to replace an impeller or something.

My wife wrapped a rope once, I always carry a knife on board.

Just be very cautious when under the boat with your hands in the prop. I took the keys out of the ignition, and put them in the glove box and closed the lid. I could just picture in my mind someone not thinking and turning the key and putting it in gear while I have my hands in the prop.

I think the idea of having a sharp inexpensive knife on board is a good one.  I did think about that as I thought how unhappy I would be if I dropped the Leatherman.

I lost my friend's leatherman while working on some slalom bouys. Cry.gif Even since then he has kept a cord tied to the new leatherman that you can put around your wrist so you can't lose it even if you drop it.

My wife wrapped a rope once, I always carry a knife on board. 

Just be very cautious when under the boat with your hands in the prop.  I took the keys out of the ignition, and put them in the glove box and closed the lid.  I could just picture in my mind someone not thinking and turning the key and putting it in gear while I have my hands in the prop.

I did the same thing, but I was the only one in the boat. I was worried my friend in his boat - 100 yards away would drive up while I was under the water, jump in and start the motor. - Ya, just a little paranoid.

Fortunately the water was clear enough that I could see 2 feet in front of me, didn't need goggles. They would have been nice though.

What I RAELLY wish I'd had was one of those under water Star Wars breathing things you saw in Episode I and III. Boy, those would have come in handy. Know where I can get one?

I know they were made long ago, but probably far far away...

I have used both goggles and a scuba mask in the boat. Now I use just the goggles since they are just easier to use mostly. If you don't own a mask already I would suggest just getting a cheap pair of goggles because a cheap mask usually dosen't fit right and leaks. A good mask is expensive and fitted to your individual facial characteristics and usually not good to leave sitting around in the boat.

As far as someone accidentally starting the boat and putting it in gear, I also had this fear so I installed a master switch under the dash that disables the ignition setting of the ignition switch. The accessory setting still works but no body can start the boat Tongue.gif . Since you would have to know where to find the switch, this also serves as an inexpensive theft deterent device. The keys don't do any good with the switch off Biggrin.gif This is great if you have small kids who love to play with the dash and push buttons and turn the key. No more worries.

The knife and goggles are a good idea. I'm going to add those.

What I carry:

Air Horn

Extra engine oil / tranny fluid

flashlight

fuses for stereo and ballast pump.

ropes of course

a wooden paddle

extra flag

two fire extinguishers (one up front, one in back)

small tool kit with screw drivers / wrenches / sissors etc.

Band-aids / neosporin... I should really have a first aid kit though.

extra sun screen

baby wipes

a couple of small 2x2 boat towels

cork screw and bottle opener

extra sun glasses

There's alot of debris around in CA this year. I was landing in the flats the other night and landed right in the debris field. A little later I was just behind the wake when a nice 3 foot 2x4 went by.

I have thought about a whole line of tools that float. Float enough so they will come to the surface, but not so much that they can not go under water.

I have unwraped a rope twice from our prop sans knife, just straight unwrap it, thats hard stuff, no mask either. Now that you guys mention this I am going to throw that all into the boat along with a firstaid kit for the boat.

We keep electrical tape, screwdrivers, mask, knife, adjustable crescent wrench, letherman knock off, a few sockets, fuses for the stereo, some alan wrenches, flashlight, needle nose pliers, and a few other things I can't remember right now

Yup. I keep a mask and snorkel on board for these kinds of emergencies. It sure helped last summer when some guy's boat sunk (not a 'bu!) at his dock and he needed it.

For safety you could pull the red thingy off the "kill" switch.

I was thinking of a length of 3/4" or 1" vinyl tubing on the end of a snorkel taped to the tower. Breathe in with mouth, out with nose. --White trash scuba...