Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thule Rack

Fly

I was wondering about the feasibility of using a Thule snowboard rack to transport boards on the CFO's SUV. Here is what I was thinking:

Thule Rack

Anybody doing something similar? It would sure be nice to get the boards out of the back of the vehicle where we generally have coolers, luggage etc.

We have a thule rack on our tahoe (during the winter months) and one year we left it on extra long and I put my wake board in it just cause I could. I worked fine. Why not just put it in the boat though?

I don't see why that wouldn't work, the only thing you'll need to watch for is the distance between the forks if you decide to leave your bindings mounted (this should be adjustable according to where your crossbars are located). We used a Yakima ski rack for our boards when we made the journey without our boat to the MBO Rentalake a couple of years ago, worked great.

Should work just fine, might have to scrub a few bugs off the bindings when you arrive. When we have long trips with the fam and no boat in tow, I always put the skis / boards up on the roof. I haven't bought the mount kit for my Yakima rack to put on my Armada yet, end up using heavy duty zip ties to secure the stuff to the luggage rack.

We have a thule rack on our tahoe (during the winter months) and one year we left it on extra long and I put my wake board in it just cause I could. I worked fine. Why not just put it in the boat though?

We leave the boat on a hoist all summer and I would prefer not to leave the boards unsecured in the boat.

Those of you who use ski or snowboard racks is it like this model or is it the horizontal bar type? I was thinking because of the rocker on the wakeboards that this type of rack may not allow me to but two boards in the rack.

I personally would go with the flat style ski/board racks. I wouldn't want those other ones sticking up on my rig all summer it looks a litte WT IMO But in your case I would rather look a little weird then be cramped in the car to and from the lake

You know if you just pull the bindings off, the boards will stand on edge between suitcases/duffle bags and take up very little room. Put the bindings in their own duffle and you're set. I wouldn't worry as much about cleaning bugs off the bindings (though that would be an issue) as much as I would worry about that occassional road rock flying up there and putting a good ding in the board.

I have used my Thule rack for transporting the boards. I have a Thule box that works out great. You can lock it and have a secure place for them and also carry extra gear up there. I have had my box for years and definately reccomend it. I understand that these days the Yakima boxes are a little more cost effective.

we have the thule box too on our expedition. it is used mainly for snow skiing, but it is great because you can put just about anything in there (i.e. boots, luggage, etc). i'd recommend using bars with it though (not just on top of factory racks). much more sturdy. i also bought the quick release mounts, pops off in 10 seconds.

Edited by jgouveia3

I have a Thule ski rack that I've used for a board before. Bugs and that annoying whistle while driving prevent me from doing it regularly.

I have a Thule ski rack that I've used for a board before. Bugs and that annoying whistle while driving prevent me from doing it regularly.

that's why the box is so nice - everything stays clean and dry. handling and gas mileage are other issues (as if it matters at 13 mpg anyway).