Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idle flair

This weekend when I was driving the 04 RLXi with 340 Monsoon, there were some issues.

When you are done with a pull and bring the boat back to neutral, the engine gives a quick rev and then goes back to normal idle. Also, when coming off the dock and getting lined up for a skier, the boat rev'd a bit when I was going in/out of gear.

Is this idle flair?

Yes, that is the idle flair. The dealer should be able to apply the fix. Have a friend with an 04 RLX had his fixed by the dealer last summer.

/Steve

The revs will go up slightly, under conditions you describe. Idle flare took the RPM up over 1000, IIRC. My boat had it, but was reflashed. I would be surprised to find it on an 04 boat.

The idle flair is actually programmed into the ECM, so the engine is supposed to do this. They put this "feature" into the ECM for 2003 because in 2002 Indmar decided to put a cold rev limiter into the computer to protect the engine from excessive wear when warming up, however this caused many 02 boats to stall out when being put in and out of gear when cold (especially off the trailer), the idle flair stops the boat from stalling, in theory anyway...

The issue in the 03 boats was the revs would go way to high (1000+) causing the tranny to clunk in and out of gear and making slow speed maneuvering difficult - the new software fixed this. So they had to fix the idle flair problem to fix a problem that resulted from a fix to a nonexistent problem, make sense now? Shocking.gif

Chris

The idle flair is actually programmed into the ECM, so the engine is supposed to do this. They put this "feature" into the ECM for 2003 because in 2002 Indmar decided to put a cold rev limiter into the computer to protect the engine from excessive wear when warming up, however this caused many 02 boats to stall out when being put in and out of gear when cold (especially off the trailer), the idle flair stops the boat from stalling, in theory anyway...

The issue in the 03 boats was the revs would go way to high (1000+) causing the tranny to clunk in and out of gear and making slow speed maneuvering difficult - the new software fixed this. So they had to fix the idle flair problem to fix a problem that resulted from a fix to a nonexistent problem, make sense now?  Shocking.gif

Chris

Makes sense to me. I had this exact problem and had the ECM flashed for free at the Dealer.

Also, I do not know why any boat after '03 would still have this "condition".

It still has idle flair to a point (a few hundred rpms tops) so the boat dosent stall when going in and out of gear....in theory anyway

• 8 years later...