Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

O'neil outlaw

ricnvic

My wife just bought an O'neil outlaw comp vest and after trying it on she liked it because it fit good but it is thinner than her old one and she was wondering if anyone had one of these vest and if they like it? or should she take it back and get another one before she wears it this weekend?

I just got one and thought the same thing. It felt a bit small on me at first as well. Everyone eased my nerves, though, saying that it was supposed to fit tight and I would agree after skiing with it for the first time.

Very comfortable and kept me above water with no problems.

Mike

my wife skis with a 3 year old Outlaw and loves it. Mine is about 8 years old, and still going strong (all brakish water usage too).

I have used an Oneil outlaw vest for years.

Because it is thin and not an approved vest it does not float me as well.

I have to work a little to keep floating, but I like using it for slalom and not so much for wakeboarding. I use a different vest for wakeboarding.

My daughter has one and loves it. It floats her ok, but then she is light weight. I don't think it would be so good with my extra lard.

I had an outlaw for about 10 years. I loved the vest and you want it tight. It floated me fine (OK, it barely kept my head above water) until the last couple years when it started to break down. It began to keep my head above water only if my lungs were full of air. California also decided that the Skier was required to wear an "approved" vest (previously, you only had to have an approved vest on board the boat for the skier). I picked up a Neil Pryde vest that was slightly more bulky, but nearly as comfortable, and it floats me.

California also decided that the Skier was required to wear an "approved" vest (previously, you only had to have an approved vest on board the boat for the skier).

I had a close call on a DNR check of my equipment one day.

I left my approved vest at home and just had my outlaw with an array of other vest for the guests. I just started handing the guy a bunch of equipment to the point he couldn't hold anymore and put the outlaw in the middle. He didn't bother to check the inside warning label on the vest otherwise I would have been fined.

I believe in Georgia the rule is like Cali's old rule that you just need an approved vest available for each person, but you can use an outlaw for skiing.

I now keep the additional generic orange vests onboard with a number of other approved vests just in case.

Edited by Jesse

I Just purchased the Outlaw I just felt all the others were way to bulky for me. A friend of mine has the outlaw and I have used it a few times and really liked it. After speaking to a few DEP guys they said they wont bother a skier when they are skiing but you better have an approved vest on board for everyone on the boat (skier included).

I have the Outlaw and LOVE it! I also just got the Law so I had a CG approved in the boat as well. The Law is a little more bulky and slightly longer in comparison, but still real comfortable.

Wisconsin has the same law. You must have an APPROVED vest for everyone on board, but the skied does not have to be wearing anything. That being said, many lakes, including mine (Pewaukee) does have a law that the skier must be wearing an APPROVED vest.

I believe in Georgia the rule is like Cali's old rule that you just need an approved vest available for each person, but you can use an outlaw for skiing.

Missouri has changed its interpretation of the law regarding the approved vest being "available". Over the years, they allowed the jackets to be stowed.

During the National Demo Day Program, Mr. Missouri Water Patrol stopped Aneal000 and me. He was polite enough to let us know that the approved vest can no longer be stowed (ie: in a compartment), but must be either worn or somewhere within the boat that it can be easily retrieved.

Edited by 2 ThumbsUp

I probably need to check into our laws again to see if any changes have been made.

But then again the avid wakeboarders on my lake that have heavy ballast and disrupting the shore line and docks of private owners are getting checked more than us slalom skiers or even the Wallies. :)

Once you get those weathly home owners along the shore line mad somehow those DNR guys just mysteriously show up.

But that is whole other topic in itself. :)