Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When are you guys going to spill the beans on MBO?

stewart

When are you guys going to spill the beans on MBO? Who is going to be the first to announce the birth of "MalibuCrew" to the MBO crowd? Is it un-PC for the former mods there, who are mods here to do it?

Hmmm Biggrin.gif

It's a touchy subject at best. For myself, I'm trying very hard to take the high road & not discuss it on MBO at all. That's Jason's site & I respect that, & I've promised him that I won't talk about it publicly on the site. I'm quite sure that it will come out at some point, & the tone will dictact how we handle it at the time.

Well, I'm not putting a gag order on anyone, that's just my personal view on the issue. It's a really tough thing, because I know that a lot of people are not going to be happy with what's happening, but there are a lot that are going to love it. I just don't want Jason to feel like I or any of the other mods/admins over here are publicly poaching MBO for membership. That wouldn't look good, & the potential for it escalating into something really ugly is fairly high.

IMO both sites can and should be on good terms with each other. I think we all enjoy MBO an awful lot. I for one will continue to patronize MBO on a regular basis unless things change quite a lot. We are all still friends and should make every effort not to hurt anyones feeling by turning this new site into a us vs them thing. That is not the goal, intention, or reality.

Joe

How long has this site been up?? I see that some of the MBO regulars already have a number of posts on this site. I just found out today. What gives? Also I am curious to know what is going on with MBO?? Did the site get purchased by a sponsor or what?

How long has this site been up??  I see that some of the MBO regulars already have a number of posts on this site.  I just found out today.  What gives?  Also I am curious to know what is going on with MBO??  Did the site get purchased by a sponsor or what?

We've only been up and running officially this week. However what is going on w/ MBO Jason will have to answer that question for you, or you'll see very soon what changes are coming when it comes back online.

You may not lose your count with MBO, we (the mods) don't know what will transfer to the "New" MBO.

Thanks malibudude!!  I am just sad that I lost my post count Badmood.gif

I never knew one person or persons "owned" MBO. I was under the impression it was ran through volunteers and donations of the membership hence giving it a non-profit status. I never saw it as a method for purchase or profit but just a resource and network of friends with a brand of boat being the primary denominator.

Bizarre to say the least. Especially with all the data that people had donated. Selfish move if you ask me. KC

I never knew one person or persons "owned" MBO. I was under the impression it was ran through volunteers and donations of the membership hence giving it a non-profit status. I never saw it as a method for purchase or profit but just a resource and network of friends with a brand of boat being the primary denominator.

Bizarre to say the least. Especially with all the data that people had donated. Selfish move if you ask me. KC

IMO

Jason is doing the best he can. If I was in his position trying to get a career started I might have made the same decision.

As for the site being owned, someone has to be on the hook for the rent, and thus has the final say.

Joe

PS. I see you just did your part to make this site self funding. Thank you very much. (from the finance guy) Rockon.gif

Jason (Skicrave) started MBO on his own. In the last 3 or 4 years it has grown a lot. In the beginning it was ALL on him. It was his hobby, grew into a passion, suddenly it became his life. He began adding moderators (IMO) to reduce the burdon on him during college. I believe they were volunteers. As things grew, (got out of hand) he took on a couple of sponsors to help out with money as the bandwith MBO required (mostly from the galleries he insisted be retained) got expensive and also upgrading the site became expensive as well. THere were several heated debates about sponsorship VS. selling out VS. censorship.

Jason took something HE created and grew it into something COOOL! It literally was/ is his life for a long time. I personally have absolutely NO PROBLEM with him turning it into a buisness/ for profit site as part of Wakeside. (if that IS what is going on, I'm only guessing. I'm in the dark too.) I was a donator to the site and I got out way more than I ever put in. As is the case for MANY! Though I might have a different opinion if I had donated say $50 in the last couple of months.....I suspect Jason will deal with cases like that with class, the way everything else was handled on MBO.

Note: this is the way I see/saw things. If others see inaccuracies in my statement, please let me know.

I just read the Wakeworld article. Answered some immediate questions.

In any case I applaud Jason. (and the rest of the MBO mods, later)

Jason, Good Luck man! You deserve it!

P

Patrick,

I think most everyone feels the same way you do about Jason and MBO. It's been a Home Port for us for a long time and that's because of Jason's efforts and all the good folks on the site, Mods or not. We all wish Jason well. IMO we'll all visit both sites anyway.

I think there are definitly enough members to go around. I have been visiting many other sites for a long time anyway. One more is just going to be even better.

Thanks for starting another site!

DC

Patrick,

I think most everyone feels the same way you do about Jason and MBO. It's been a Home Port for us for a long time and that's because of Jason's efforts and all the good folks on the site, Mods or not. We all wish Jason well. IMO we'll all visit both sites anyway.

what he said

Patrick,

what he said

This is probably true, unless it goes the way of wakeboarder.com....... I find myself going there less and less.

Blowup.gif

It will definitely be intersting to see the rollout tomorrow of MBO into wakesiderides. Wonder if JC will redirect the MBO site to it or just leave MBO in the dead state like it is now?