Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suburban 99 back up light connection

on my boatmate trailer i need to connect a wire to the backup light system to disengage the brake when i back up...

in the electrical diagram it is the light green wire. it work 1 or 2 times after i my fuse is burning...

i saw there is a place with a 10 Amps fuse in the electrical diagram for trailer but can't find it under the truck

any body can help to locate the right area to connect that wire???

thanks

JP

A related question.....

Is there a way to manually bypass the brakes? I don't have a problem backing up with our '00 Suburban, but every time I use one of our company trucks ('00 & '05 F150's) the brakes still engage in reverse. I thought our dealer told me something about flipping the pig-tail around but I couldn't get that to work. I finally stuck a dime in the slot to prevent the brake actuator from sliding and engaging the brakes.

A related question.....

Is there a way to manually bypass the brakes?  I don't have a problem backing up with our '00 Suburban, but every time I use one of our company trucks ('00 & '05 F150's) the brakes still engage in reverse.  I thought our dealer told me something about flipping the pig-tail around but I couldn't get that to work.  I finally stuck a dime in the slot to prevent the brake actuator from sliding and engaging the brakes.

Yes. When you're gonna back up, turn your truck lights on then go to the trailer light harness, and connect the "fourth" hole on the trailer connection to the "first" hole on your truck light connection. (Don't include the ground when counting)

This has the effect of sending 12 Volts to the reverse part of the trailer connection, which will disengage the brakes. It sends your truck parking light signal to the trailers brake connection.

BTW, you can't "reverse the connection" like your dealer said because you're dealing with the grounds, but the connections I said above will be the only ones connected, the plugs themselves will be perpendicular to each other. I had to do this for a couple weeks until I permanently wired my vehicle.

Does that make any sense??? If it doesn't, I'll be happy to post a picture of what I'm talking about

A nickel works well, too...

Edited by rts

Thanks rts. I think I understand what you are saying. I'll try it one night this week.

I asked for a nickel first, but all we had was a dime.

OK

here what I've done in the mean time... i've change the 20 amps Fuse that was blowing when all my lights where on when backing + one flasher... for a 30 amps...

and now no more problem :)

any body think i shouldn't do that and why???

Thanks

the oems (gm, ford, etc.) fuse each circuit based on current capabilities of the wiring and components. to up the fuse rating will allow more current than the circuit can safely handle. too much current can make the wiring hot enough to start a fire.

OK so should i keep a bag of marshmallows in the truck so we could enjoy the fire or do you thinks i'm ok : Biggrin.gif

So far so good!

Edited by responselx03