Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries

Well we are off to the beginner of a great year of boating Yahoo.gif with tons of water here in CA.

Well lets get to the point. This last week I was charging the battery to have it fully charged for the Memorial trip. After two days of charging at 1.25 amps it still was not charged. This started to concern me, so I removed the battery from the tray to feel the side's. Well it was hot and telling me it my have a shorted cell inside. I decided to open the caps to see what the battery water level was at. To my surprise it was vary vary low. So I filled her up with water and started to recharge her over the night at 1.25 amps. I hope that the battery will come up to charge or I'll have to buy a new one. Cry.gif

The moral of this "CHECK THE WATER LEVEL IN YOUR BATTERY" before you cook it.

How old is the battery?

I just ran into the same thing here. It did not seem to hold a charge. Water level was OK. I had it checked out and they told me I had a bad cell. Time for a new battery. This would have been the fifth season, so I think I did all right getting four years out of a battery.

I just replaced my battery too. I've never got more than two seasons on the factory batteries. The battery might have lasted the season but I doubt it. I put in a Optima Blue Top and I'm good to go now. The stereo battery is an Optima and it's still going strong after two years.

FWIW,

You're supposed to put distilled water in batteries. I put it in my personal stuff but, used to put tap water into all the cars I used to service.

I use a ProMariner onboard charger.

I just plug in when I pull into the slip and it keeps both batteries charged and fresh.

Pete is right a for the tech and PRO way to go Thumbup.gif but in fact if your using clean, clear, order free water it should be good. To make distilled water just fill up a jug and let it sit for 24hrs, all the the bad stuff will settle to the bottom, so don't us it all. Biggrin.gif

I use a ProMariner onboard charger.

Thats a great idea, just remember every time you charge the battery your heating it up and a small part of water will evap. So still check your water level.

Clap.gif its alive still. I just checked the charger of the battery and found the battery to be fully charged. Darn I just wish I had my works load tester to make sure its good. OOO just thought of this I'll take it down to my local auto parts store to have it tested. Yahoo.gif

We just had a onboard charger installed also. It's nice to just plug it in the garage when we put the boat away. Its suspose to fully charge the battery, then shut off and come on and check every 24 hrs.

I've got my fingers crossed, but I am still on the original battery. Still cranks strong and holds up when just sittin and listening to tunes. I use the boat throughout the winter so it helps keep the battery in condition. I have been lucky that this boat has been perfect since new. (Except for when it found the stump!)

I expect a new battery is on the horizon though.

I just picked up a new bat for my boat. I opted for a larger Deep cycle model that I coulda swore would fit in the original battery box. OK - Missed it by about a quarter inch in length. I could take the battery back, but prefer the capacity of this one. So, where can I find a larger battery box?

I just thought that I'd post this little experience of my own here....

I pulled a really dumb@ss move a few weeks ago & left the stereo switch on (we use an iPod, & the iPod had been turned off). So, of course the next time that we took the boat out, nothing, nada. Fortunately I had just that morning put the portable battery jumper in the boat & it saved our day. But, I thought that maybe the battery was done. I put it on the trickle-charger for a few days & it read fully charged, but it felt weak whenever I turned over the motor. So I took it down to an automotive electrical shop & they put it on their heavy duty charger for a couple of days. They told me that a trickle charger will only put a "surface charge" on a battery that's that low. The boat turns over great now & it read fully charged according to them, no new battery needed. Total cost was $3. :)

One lesson learned a lot cheaper & easier than could have been the case. And the portable jumper doesn't leave the boat now unless it needs to be charged. Biggrin.gif

From my experiences, I usually have to buy a new battery about every 4 years. This is for a boat that sits in the garage all winter.

• 5 years later...