Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Monza

Franickle

Has anybody been using this ski. I am thinking of buying a new ski and this one is My fist choice. I am also thinking of putting approach bindings on it and was wondering if any one has any experience with these as well.

I just bought a system 8 and rode it this weekend.

When looking for a new ski, the crew at Wileys told me the monza is a 36mph ski. They told me that if you are skiing less than 36mph, go with something else.

I dont know what you normally ski speed/length, but the guys at wileys are great and should have some good info. Talk to Darin there

They were selling blank Monzas last week for $650

Has anybody been using this ski. I am thinking of buying a new ski and this one is My fist choice. I am also thinking of putting approach bindings on it and was wondering if any one has any experience with these as well.

What ski are you riding now? What speeds and line lengths do you ski at and are you really after going to short lines or more after having fun making some turns?

Skisix thanks for the insight on the Monza post (should have ran a search). I can run 28 at 36 but I really am out there most of the making turns and having fun. I am currently on a VTX I have always been on an HO

Skisix thanks for the insight on the Monza post (should have ran a search). I can run 28 at 36 but I really am out there most of the making turns and having fun. I am currently on a VTX I have always been on an HO

Not busting on your VTX but, you could pick any current ski and pick up a few bouy easy. I used to ride a VTX and that helped convince me that I should ride a KD then my Carbonworx. I'll be true to form and say that you should first try the carbonworx ski as I think it's the easiest to ski, not the fatest but it turns the best and rolls onto turning edge more easily then the Monza and the 6AM. At 36 MPH and 28 off I think you'll struggle with that ski because it wants to go fast all the time and you just don't need to go fast at that line length. If ya gotta have a HO then go with the more tame version the system 8, I still say give the Carbonworx

a shot first.

no you can bust on the VTX I know I am a few years past due on a new ski. I don't know much about the carbonworx at all. My local dealer doesnt carry them and I would like to demo one before I make a purchase. BTW thanks for all your help

www.carbonworx.com For more info. The carbonworx has a variable radius bevel so that the ski swings under you and wide after the wake no metter if you're scrambling or if your running in the pass. They are a smaller company than HO and O'brien but, a good ski at any rate.

Chris skis on the 6AM. Any time you get that much talent they could run 39 on a 2x4.

Not basting on your VTX but, you could pick any current ski and pick up a few boy easy. I used to ride a VTX and that helped convince me that I should ride a KD then my Carbonworx. I'll be true to form and say that you should first try the carbonworx ski as I think it's the easiest to ski, not the fatest but it turns the best and rolls onto turning edge more easily then the Monza and the 6AM. At 36 MPH and 28 off I think you'll struggle with that ski because it wants to go fast all the time and you just don't need to go fast at that line length. If ya gotta have a HO then go with the more tame version the system 8, I still say give the Carbonworx

a shot first.

Franickle,

If I was going to give you insight on the Monza I would tell you to demo the ski to see if you like it that will be money well spent. I try to demo before I buy and that usually points me in the direction that I was going to go anyway. See...I would tell you the complete opposite of what skisix@38 said about the Monza so just take some time and try different skis until you know exactly what you want especially when you spend that kind of money.

Not basting on your VTX but, you could pick any current ski and pick up a few boy easy. I used to ride a VTX and that helped convince me that I should ride a KD then my Carbonworx. I'll be true to form and say that you should first try the carbonworx ski as I think it's the easiest to ski, not the fatest but it turns the best and rolls onto turning edge more easily then the Monza and the 6AM. At 36 MPH and 28 off I think you'll struggle with that ski because it wants to go fast all the time and you just don't need to go fast at that line length. If ya gotta have a HO then go with the more tame version the system 8, I still say give the Carbonworx

a shot first.

Franickle,

If I was going to give you insight on the Monza I would tell you to demo the ski to see if you like it that will be money well spent. I try to demo before I buy and that usually points me in the direction that I was going to go anyway. See...I would tell you the complete opposite of what skisix@38 said about the Monza so just take some time and try different skis until you know exactly what you want especially when you spend that kind of money.

Baumer is right, try to ride before putting your money out.

And Baumer, I don't think the HO is a bad ski, I just think it skis better the faster it's going- if you don't need to go fast then going fast is just creating bad technique. For sure there will be Monza's at next years nationals- that ski is targeted to very high end skiers at shortlines.

Thanks baumer and skisix. I am going to try them both it looks like carbonwox will let you demo as well. It took me a long time to adjust to my VTX way back when so I know the demo is just part of the process.

Baumer I was asking for opinions I take it yours is more favorable to the monza. I would like to get your impression of the ski.

I have heard that it takes time to tweek the Monza. That proper fin set up is crucial to making the ski perform well (by skisix's previous post I can tell he knows what he is doing in that dept.) . So I am just trying to get as much information together before I drop the cash on a ski that may be too much for me.

For $25 Goode will ship you a demo as well. Then either buy it or return it. When I'm ready to move on to a new stick I plan on checking them out as well as the System 8. The new Goode 9600 is supposedly crazy light. Anyone skied it?

Thanks baumer and skisix. I am going to try them both it looks like carbonwox will let you demo as well. It took me a long time to adjust to my VTX way back when so I know the demo is just part of the process.   

Baumer I was asking for opinions I take it yours is more favorable to the monza. I would like to get your impression of the ski. 

I have heard that it takes time to tweek the Monza. That proper fin set up is crucial to making the ski perform well (by skisix's previous post I can tell he knows what he is doing in that dept.) . So I am just trying to get as much information together before I drop the cash on a ski that may be too much for me.   

Franickle,

I have been on my 67" Monza with approach bindings since February. Setting up any ski does take a little time trial and error is the only way to see if your ski is set up for you or not. I will tell you on my first set I notice right away that the Monza was hunting real bad especially on the pull out for the gate. So after that pass I dropped down at the other end and moved my front binding forward one hole and that took care of that problem. As far as speed goes it is quick from side to side but it also slows down for the turn really well. For me it swings out wide very easily and sets up for the lean across the wake great. It rolls on to it's edge better than my last two Phantoms. I have also tried it at speeds of 32,34,36 and yes it does come more alive at 34 and 36 but it still holds on to it responsiveness at 32. For me I feel that the Monza turns better than the KD, D3 or the sixam We have on person riding the new Carbonworx at our club and he really likes it so make sure that you try that one I have not ski one so I can not compare it to the Monza. I like to see people try out different skis because it helps them to feel the ski better along with what you are doing on the ski. I feel when you do this you become more aware of what you are doing while you are skiing which make you a better skier. When you demo you will see what types of skis work for you and which ones don't. I feel that all skis are good skis you just need to find the one that works for you and demoing is the best way. I think that Skisix feels the same about this so give them all a try then narrow down the ones you like then play with the binding, fin and wing settings to dial them in.

Here are my fin settings. I have my front binding one hole forward with my back binding turned a few degrees toes to the right. This works for me so use your settings then tweak it from there.

Depth; 2.513

Length; 6.839

Distance from tail; .759

Wing at 9 degrees down

Skisix,

I know what you are saying no worries. I just think that he needs to make sure he tries it so not to go back and wish he had latter. The Monza is quick but also very controllable.

The wealth of info on this site is always amazing. Thanks Guy's. Looks like my vacation will be spent trying some mew ski's

Baumer,

Where do you ski and what lines do ski? How about water temp? The 68" Monza I tried was set up almost exactly as you listed. Had I played more with it I would have ended up further back, and would have lengthened the fin. Our water temps are in the 65-70 range right now.

If you're considering these skis, I'll throw out there the D3 X5 (same class as the Monza, 6AM, 9600, and Outlaw). Never skied it, but have heard good things.

If you're considering these skis, I'll throw out there the D3 X5 ...

The D3's ski very similar to Kidder's & KD's (makes sense considering Denny Kidder owns D3). I have found that skiers like either HO skis or KD skis. If you like the KD7000 or the CR7 chances are you would like the D3 X5.