Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS recommendation...

1FootDan

Until Malibu can fix their speed control so that it can be calibrated properly, I would like to buy a GPS. I just need it for ground speed. Anyone recommend one? I don't want to pay for any gadgets I won't use, as long as it has groundspeed and that it does not have a long delay.

Thanks.

I have the Garmin e-trex Vista. I have a suction mount on the windshield at the side of me just in front of the throttle and it works great. I also use the adapter cord into the 12v power outlet just under the armrest. I have had a couple different GPS units and the Garmin's have by far been the most reliable.

I concur with MD58, I have the Vista too, and really like it. Battery consumption sucks though, I just made a run from SF to SLC and found that I had about 4 hours of battery life on brand new alkalines. I also found that the 20's I put on the Suburban actually cause a 5% error on the speedometer, I'm travelling much faster than I thought I was at indicated 85mph. :)

On the flip side, I figure that I'll get an additional 3750 miles of coverage on my 75,000 mile warranty... Biggrin.gif

I've got a Garmin Vista cx and I recommend these too but the OP just wanted one with ground speed so the Vista and Vista c/cx are more than he needs.

Basic Handhelds

Mapping Handhelds

Your right. But I believe he also wanted quick update speed. I'm not positive but I think the vista may be quicker. It does have some clock features that are nice as well.

I've got the Garmin Streetpilot 330 for the truck and it's great. It's good enough that if I needed it I could use it on my lake. However I wouldn't recoment it for general marine use.

It does give you accurate speed though for the boat.

BTW, if you have kids, a really fun activity is geocaching. My son and I do it sometimes when we have some time to kill, and usually do it on vacations in areas we're not familiar with. For more info on it, check out geocaching.com People will hide little trinkets and logs all over the world, mostly at or near interesting sites. The GPS coordinates are posted online, and you head out on a treasure hunt. Some can be very challenging, and others not so much. We've used it as youth group and scout activities too, the kids love a hi-tech treasure hunt. Typically you take a trinket and leave a trinket, but at some you just sign the log that you were there.

For what it's worth.....I've had some good one on one time with my kids as we head out with a common goal.

I use a Garmin 76c, maybe a little more than you want to spend? Like md58, I have it mounted with a winshield suction mount but I have it wired on an accessory switch. I purchased all of the mounting gear from Ram Mounts, they have many options for mounting options. It is great to have it mounted, I use it as my primary speedo often.

Ram Counts

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the Garmin eTrex. Can anyone tell me how long the delay is for the ground speed? I borowed my uncles old (at least 10 year old) Garmin last year to compare the speed with and I noticed it had a 5 second delay. I guess the delay must have been reduced since?

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the Garmin eTrex. Can anyone tell me how long the delay is for the ground speed? I borowed my uncles old (at least 10 year old) Garmin last year to compare the speed with and I noticed it had a 5 second delay. I guess the delay must have been reduced since?

Once you are able to track several satellites, it should update once a second. This is per the spec sheet.

eTrex spec sheet

I've got a garmin Etrex as well. It updates pretty fast, fast enough that everytime you look down at it when your driving the boat it's updated the speed already. It's not instantaneous but close enough. It's a good tool and durable as well, good for the marine environment.

Do you boat in a lake or a flowing river?

Lake why? Dontknow.gif

I have the Garmin e-trex Vista.

Ditto. Updates about every second. No need for the suction mount. Mine fits nicely between the top of the dash and the windshield. Before the Garmin, I had a Magellan that I took back. It updated speed faster BUT nothing else worked that good.

Here I am bidding my a** of on ebay and I forgot to ask the crew if anyone has one for sale? :Doh:

Lake why? Dontknow.gif

The reason Ronnie was asking if you boat in a lake or a river is because you can't accurately set your speedo's using GPS on a river, due to the current. But since you're a lake boater, you will be okay.

• 1 month later...

Finally bought a used Garmin Etrex on ebay. Works great, easy to use, speed refreshes quickly and batteries (2 x AA) really last a long time. (around 22 hours)

Thanks for your sugestions.