Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Sunsetter/Wakesetter Temature sending unit ????

I have searched all over the site and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

This is for a 98 sunnsetter/wakesetter with a monsoon 350.

My temp gauge was not working correctly last year so I thought I would change the sending unit, I opened up the lid and actually found three temp sending units.... Any idea which one controls the gauge?

Standing in front of the motor there is on on the top left (with single nut holding the wire on) with only one wire and on the top right there is another with a fancy plug with two wires. There is also another very small on on the front of the motor hidden under one of the hoses.

Any help here would be great.

I also took both top sending units out and went to the local parts house to try and match them up... no luck.

Does anyone have the part numbers for these? I'm sure they have to cross over to a gm part number?

Thanks in advance everyone.

The one on the left is Tan, the one on the right is Yellow and black, the one in the front is brown...

so you are saying it's the little brown one?

post-76-1177636048_thumb.jpg

post-76-1177636057_thumb.jpg

Yes, that even looks like a gauge sending unit. The other two are inputs to your ECM. One (with the yellow & black wire) tells your computer the engine temp and the other (tan wire) is the overheat alarm to your computer. It tells your computer if the temp exceed 203 degrees. It (computer) responds by limiting the rpm's of your engine. If your engine is not fuel injectected, then everything I said after...'The other two'... is not accurate.

Yes, that even looks like a gauge sending unit. The other two are inputs to your ECM. One (with the yellow & black wire) tells your computer the engine temp and the other (tan wire) is the overheat alarm to your computer. It tells your computer if the temp exceed 203 degrees. It (computer) responds by limiting the rpm's of your engine. If your engine is not fuel injectected, then everything I said after...'The other two'... is not accurate.

Thank you for the help I appreciate it very much.

Now I have to find a dealer that has one...

:)

You are best off going to a Malibu dealer. I have tried cross referenceing a few engine parts at auto parts stores and alway strike out there. The part numbers on the devices never cross reference to automobile part numbers, even though the are Chevy engines. Be sure to bring your engine serial number with you or they get real confused.

You are best off going to a Malibu dealer. I have tried cross referenceing a few engine parts at auto parts stores and alway strike out there. The part numbers on the devices never cross reference to automobile part numbers, even though the are Chevy engines. Be sure to bring your engine serial number with you or they get real confused.

Thanks again, you have saved me a lot of time.

:)

I went to sac today and picked up all the sending units and they had them all in stock... Paul @ ultimate watersports in Rio Linda was great.

Although I'm not sure the name of the company as they answered the phone as Bell Aqua, then the website said Ultimate Water Sports and then the paper work said Cope & Mcpheters Marine.

So I guess it's all the same company... lol

They did have a nice new location, tons of new boats out back and great staff to help me with all my needs.

I will post up the part numbers in a little while in case someone else needs them.

Edited by R1LOVER

Also for what it's worth the guy at the parts counter said it is the TAN wire for the gauge....

I changed them all anyway.

From the front of the motor

Top left Part # S645001 - single tan wire 1/2" NPT

Top Right Part # S556013 - Yellow and Black (2) wires

Front top Part # S645004 - Single Brown wire 3/8" NPT

Edited by R1LOVER