Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom tie downs

MalibuJim

We always use transom straps too - better safe than sorry! Just last weekend we installed Boat Buckle ratchet tie downs on our Dorsey trailer. I have always seen these and thought they were really slick. I was kind of troubled to see that because of where our boat sits on the trailer the straps do touch the boat. I wondered if they would scratch it, and I see a couple folks saying they use sheepskin so they won't get scratches. So now I have a couple questions for those of you that have straps that touch the boat: 1) does the tie down strap actually scratch the boat? 2) are you leaving that sheepskin on the strap when you put the boat in the water or do you take it off every time?

1. Tie down strap hasn't scratched our boat because we use a pad.

2. The tie down strap goes through the sheepskin pad (pad goes around strap) so the tension of the strap against the hull keeps the sheepskin in place when the strap is tight. When you remove the straps to launch, the pads go in the truck until it is time to hook up the straps to the boat again.

We only tow a couple times a year but the sheepskin pads and the trailer guide pads stay behind the back seat of the truck (crewcab) if the boat isn't on the trailer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• auto

• Ronnie

• Baddog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can assure you if I ever get behind someone trailering their boat without transom tie downs I will definetely get out from behind them. I will also be laughing when it comes back to bite them.

1) does the tie down strap actually scratch the boat? 2) are you leaving that sheepskin on the strap when you put the boat in the water or do you take it off every time?

Our tie down straps do touch the boat, and although I have looked every single time I take them on and off for some sort of scratch or mark, I have never found any. The hooks are rubber coated, so as far as I can tell there are no marks on the boat or trailer anywhere.

Our straps remove from both the boat and trailer, so they get tossed into the Suburban until we pull the boat out at the end of the day.

My bunks don't have sheepskin on them, and as far as I can see the there are no marks on the hull from them either.....

Edited by jayjoans
Any dealer that says you don't them is an Idiot.

My dealer gave me a set free. I use 'em.

Let's try another analogy: Your girlfriend says "I'm off the pill becasue my doctor says I can't get pregnant and you don't need a rubber." Go ahead and don't use a rubber -- Dad.

I was the dealer that talked to Jim about this. I was asked my opinion on getting tie down straps for a trailer that did not come with them as the new Extremes do. And for those that have these, 2007 is the first year thay have worked very well. The previous versions broke, stuck, etc.

Back to the point, in my personal 30+ years of trailering all types and sizes of boats and in my dealership's 15 years of existance, there has not been one instance of a boat coming off a trailer in any manner as you have described.

If you hit a very bad bump in the road, a boat may move an inch or two on the bunks. But if you hit something so hard, you are more likely to have something coming off the BOTTOM of the trailer (tire, axle, suspension, fender) than what's on top.

Tie straps are fine, don't get me wrong. But if you want to address the most common safety issue when trailering, you should be much more concerned with your tires and axles. More incidents occur with lack of maintainance to the tires and axles than anything else. When was the last time you serviced your axles? Checked your tire pressure and wear?

For all those that consider me reckless and an "idiot", I ask you, when was the last time you checked the torque in your lugnuts? Be honest. We do it on a regular basis. You are far more likely (especially on a tandem) to to have a wheel fly off the trailer than your boat.

Go ahead and use the straps. But remember when you are going down the highway following a trailer, you are far more likely to have a wheel flying back at you than a boat.

Let's try another analogy: Your girlfriend says "I'm off the pill becasue my doctor says I can't get pregnant and you don't need a rubber." Go ahead and don't use a rubber -- Dad.

I was the dealer that talked to Jim about this. I was asked my opinion on getting tie down straps for a trailer that did not come with them as the new Extremes do. And for those that have these, 2007 is the first year thay have worked very well. The previous versions broke, stuck, etc.

Back to the point, in my personal 30+ years of trailering all types and sizes of boats and in my dealership's 15 years of existance, there has not been one instance of a boat coming off a trailer in any manner as you have described.

If you hit a very bad bump in the road, a boat may move an inch or two on the bunks. But if you hit something so hard, you are more likely to have something coming off the BOTTOM of the trailer (tire, axle, suspension, fender) than what's on top.

Tie straps are fine, don't get me wrong. But if you want to address the most common safety issue when trailering, you should be much more concerned with your tires and axles. More incidents occur with lack of maintainance to the tires and axles than anything else. When was the last time you serviced your axles? Checked your tire pressure and wear?

For all those that consider me reckless and an "idiot", I ask you, when was the last time you checked the torque in your lugnuts? Be honest. We do it on a regular basis. You are far more likely (especially on a tandem) to to have a wheel fly off the trailer than your boat.

Go ahead and use the straps. But remember when you are going down the highway following a trailer, you are far more likely to have a wheel flying back at you than a boat.

Sorry aobut the idiot comment, but hey, I live in New Jersey and you have to make allowances.

Thanks for the clarifications. However, Just because you haven't ever seen a problem related to no tie downs in your many years of experience (and niether have I for that mattter), doesn't mean it couldn't happen tomorrow. I see this like I do the motorcycle Helmet law issue. Even though the law may say you don't need to wear one, if it protects my head and what's inside, just in case, why wouldn't I wear one?

Good points also on the trailer parts checks. I do check bearings, tire pressure, wear, brakes, springs regularly as well as lug nuts. However, I haven't pulled out the torque wrench to do that. What should it be? 110 ft-lbs??

Edited by Baddog

QUOTE; You are far more likly...wheel flying back at you....

And while were at it...lawn chairs,tubes,fishing poles,coolers(empty), ski vest...Just a few of the things Iv'e dodged over thr years that originated from a trailered boat. No tires(wheels) yet, nor boats.

I checked and re-torqued my lug nuts (100 lbs) about 2 months ago, and have trailered the boat twice since then. Tires are good, they are brand new. I ensure the oil bath hubs have enough oil in them and have no leaks. I lubricate my slide on the surge brake, so obviously I'm pretty contientious when it comes to maintenance goes on my trailer. You are right about the likelyhood of having an axel or wheel problem before a boat leaving the trailer problem. I think the bottom line here is you have a higher tolerance of risk than most of us. Call up your insurance company and see how they feel about you telling customers not to, or they don't need to, use transom tie downs on their boats. If you were to get sued because of this advice are you sure you would win based upon nothing happening in your 30 years experience, and that your insurance company would back you given that this advice was given. If you use transom tie downs you have more control over the outcome if something were to happen.

Re the motorcycle helmet analogy:

Yes, there are a lot of folks who have been riding for years that say they have never really needed one. Great point.

But.....

All the motorcycle folks that really needed one, but weren't wearing one...... aren't around anymore to tell us!

Wonder why.

(Funny how statistics can be twisted.)

Life is full of "probabilities". Regardless of the low likelihood..... why not decrease the probability that you'll be the one with the boat problem because you scrimped on $30 for a set of tie-downs..... or decided not to wear the motorcycle helmet and ended up with a squashed melon and your wife/husband as a single parent.

"Takes too long to put them on".... then you may have a "Time Management" problem.

Edited by doughickey

Consider this good fortune. Though it hasn't happened to me either, nor is it common, it does happen. I would think it prudent to err on the side of caution when advising clients. It's supposed to get down to 29° tonight--do you think I should drain my block?

Your points regarding trailer maintenance are well-taken. Thanks for the reminders.

I once saw an i/o being dragged onto a flatbed after it had been separated from its trailer and let e tell you it was one of the most painful noises I have ever heard, listening to the gel coat and the drive grind against the pavement. :(

I can assure you if I ever get behind someone trailering their boat without transom tie downs I will definetely get out from behind them. I will also be laughing when it comes back to bite them.

Better be driving fast to pass me. Biggrin.gifRockon.gif

I don't trailer too far, but I seldom use them. I think you should, but for the 1 mile trip that I take to the ramp a couple times a year, I don't. My older brothers, whom I owned two inboards wth, always had a good time with me whenever I suggested that we use them. They thouight the weight of the engine would keep the boat on the trailer.

I don't trailer too far, but I seldom use them. I think you should, but for the 1 mile trip that I take to the ramp a couple times a year, I don't. My older brothers, whom I owned two inboards wth, always had a good time with me whenever I suggested that we use them. They thouight the weight of the engine would keep the boat on the trailer.

Our ramp is a 1/2 mile from our house and the max I don't think we break 30mph the whole way there. To add to it, if we were in a wreck, the tie downs that we have/had wouldn't to jack. Before heading to Shasta though, I will be picking up some new ones cause I think I tossed ours out at the end of the season last year...

You're probably towing with your boards in your racks to right... Fingerwag.gif

Edited by 06vlx

Of course, how did you guess, I also put anything in my board racks that will not fit in my truck. Occasionally I even secure my boards in the rack, but usually not, being unsafe and all Biggrin.gif

And while were at it...lawn chairs,tubes,fishing poles,coolers(empty), ski vest...Just a few of the things Iv'e dodged over thr years that originated from a trailered boat. No tires(wheels) yet, nor boats.

While I like chasing bouy's on the water, they're quite difficult to avoid on the freeway. More than once, I've seen a green bouy bouncing down the interstate & over the center divider. As for the tie-downs, never without them.

Of course, how did you guess, I also put anything in my board racks that will not fit in my truck. Occasionally I even secure my boards in the rack, but usually not, being unsafe and all Biggrin.gif

Shocking.gif

WOW, lots of discussion in just a few short days!!! Good topic.

Here is my $0.02. We use our transom straps ALL the time, it is just part of our routine and a safety precaution for us...or a personal preference. I think you can see, from all the responses, that to some extent this is based various opinions, circumstances, commute time etc... but also "how daring are you".

NOW, having said all that...when we moved from MN to TX; and removed our packing cover from the boat. We realized the transom straps were not on but left in the boat. That was over 900+ miles in all terrain and weather conditions. I considered us very lucky, IMO.

I have not read this entire thread, but I would never tow without them. I have forgotten them and the boat did not move, but I consider myself lucky. (uneventful tow...)

I also doubt the effectiveness of the ratchet straps themselves. (though I have them on my trailer) Just look at the way the ratcheting mechanism is built. It's all very light gauge steel. Some connections look to be just a "friction fit" or maybe the end had been "peened" or "mushroomed". I'm sure they are fine for day to day stuff, but I'm sure they would fail in a head-on. I am still looking for something better. Something is better than nothing....

Pat

I always use them. Last summer a guy towing a bass boat 3 blocks from his house lost his trailer with boat on it as he was driving to fast around a sharp corner, did not have his ball clamp down on the tong or safety chains hooked. The truck in front of me hit the rig separating the boat from the trailer as he ran over the trailer. The bass boat flew up over his truck missing me in my new Tahoe by inches, I was very lucky. The back of the boat with the motor spun around inches over my hood and from my windshield, hit the ground next to my door and slid over 50 yards in the street before it stopped. He did not have anything tied down let alone the transom. The point I am trying to make is, that was in town blocks from his house. What could it hurt to have the transom tied down?

Got any pics of that that sounds amazing...

We always use them and only have forgotten about them once in the 8 years we have had a Malibu, which was an interesting experience to say the least. Sometimes if the boat isn’t exactly centered on the trailer we tighten one side and leave the other side loose and let the road bounce it back into place. It’s just another piece of mind that takes all of 30 seconds to take care of.