Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom tie downs

MalibuJim

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but how many people use transom tie downs when trailering. I used them with our last boat (Response). And I think "better safe than sorry". However, my dealer suggested not using them, especially since we now have a V-Drive and the weight of the engine will hold the boat to the trailer. We don not trailer our boat very far, but I am concerned that the boat will bounce around without transom ties.

-Jim

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• auto

• Ronnie

• Baddog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use 'em all the time. They are required in some states. Plus, piece of mind for me. Takes 30 seconds to put them on, so why not...

Not a very smart suggestion imho, that's like don't wear your seatbelt argument. I only go about 7 miles to my local lake and never travel w/ out them so why risk it? If you're involved in an accident and don't have the tie downs the insurance company may make you partially guilty by creating more damage.

Never have used them. I concur with the argument about the weight. I mean my boat weighs 4000# without gear, so I doubt it is going to bounce anywhere. I towed it home all the way from Cleveland, TN to Little Rock, AR...about 11hr drive and it never moved. I have, however, added an additional safety chain to the single tow strap on the front of the trailer. That way if the strap breaks on the ramp, my boat doesn't go sliding off the trailer. Whistling.gif

I always use them. Last summer a guy towing a bass boat 3 blocks from his house lost his trailer with boat on it as he was driving to fast around a sharp corner, did not have his ball clamp down on the tong or safety chains hooked. The truck in front of me hit the rig separating the boat from the trailer as he ran over the trailer. The bass boat flew up over his truck missing me in my new Tahoe by inches, I was very lucky. The back of the boat with the motor spun around inches over my hood and from my windshield, hit the ground next to my door and slid over 50 yards in the street before it stopped. He did not have anything tied down let alone the transom. The point I am trying to make is, that was in town blocks from his house. What could it hurt to have the transom tied down?

I never used them on my XTI. I think that if you dont use the wide ones that bolt to the trailer, you might as well not bother.

There was some pictures last year of someone that was rear ended. I remember the strap broke and not sure if the final result was a good thing or bad thing they had them.

I always use them. Last summer a guy towing a bass boat 3 blocks from his house lost his trailer with boat on it as he was driving to fast around a sharp corner, did not have his ball clamp down on the tong or safety chains hooked. The truck in front of me hit the rig separating the boat from the trailer as he ran over the trailer. The bass boat flew up over his truck missing me in my new Tahoe by inches, I was very lucky. The back of the boat with the motor spun around inches over my hood and from my windshield, hit the ground next to my door and slid over 50 yards in the street before it stopped. He did not have anything tied down let alone the transom. The point I am trying to make is, that was in town blocks from his house. What could it hurt to have the transom tied down?

Got any pics of that that sounds amazing...

We always use them and only have forgotten about them once in the 8 years we have had a Malibu, which was an interesting experience to say the least. Sometimes if the boat isn’t exactly centered on the trailer we tighten one side and leave the other side loose and let the road bounce it back into place. It’s just another piece of mind that takes all of 30 seconds to take care of.

Always use them! Always.

Somebody here towed a boat for 11 hours and the boat didn't move so that's a good enough reason to not use them?????? You're not serious? And a dealer made a suggestion that was ok?

Often I can drive over 2 hours on the highway without using my brakes.... does that mean I don't need brakes?

I never had a flat tire on my trailer..... so does that mean I don't need a trailer spare of jack or wheel wrench?

Somebody may use the logic that as the boat/trailer hit a bump.... they all go up and down at the same speed etc etc. What happens if the trailer wheel hits the edge of the pavement/shoulder during a semi-emergency highway maneuver..... where the boat/trailer momentum is now lateral to the direction of travel..... the trailer wheel hits the edge of the pavement... but the boat wants to keep going in the original sideways direction. Gold old Sir Isacc Newton (Newton's 3 Laws) would roll over in his grave hearing that transom tie-downs aren't needed.

What is somebody saving by not putting them on..... maybe 2.65 minutes? Of course they should go on.

Always use them! Always.

Somebody here towed a boat for 11 hours and the boat didn't move so that's a good enough reason to not use them?????? You're not serious? And a dealer made a suggestion that was ok?

Often I can drive over 2 hours on the highway without using my brakes.... does that mean I don't need brakes?

I never had a flat tire on my trailer..... so does that mean I don't need a trailer spare of jack or wheel wrench?

Somebody may use the logic that as the boat/trailer hit a bump.... they all go up and down at the same speed etc etc. What happens if the trailer wheel hits the edge of the pavement/shoulder during a semi-emergency highway maneuver..... where the boat/trailer momentum is now lateral to the direction of travel..... the trailer wheel hits the edge of the pavement... but the boat wants to keep going in the original sideways direction. Gold old Sir Isacc Newton (Newton's 3 Laws) would roll over in his grave hearing that transom tie-downs aren't needed.

What is somebody saving by not putting them on..... maybe 2.65 minutes? Of course they should go on.

I agree completely!

Always use them, there simple to put on and with the Extreme trailer and the ratchet straps it takes about 5 seconds. Would you put a Porsche on a trailer and not strap it down because it has a parking brake and is heavy enough. Frustrated.gif Same thing to me, I spent good money on my boat and would hate to lose it for a dumb thing like that.

I use them when traveling with the boat, but I pass when just taking the boat out for a one mile ride to the gas station which is every second or third day while on vacation. It's all back roads traveling about 25 mph.

Last year, I got cut off driving through town, and swerved to miss a guy shooting for a turn lane.. in the commotion, the trailer got flung into the median, and up the curb and back down. No way the boat would have stayed centered on the trailer as it found its way back down the curb.

Ended up bending the trailer axle - pretty ugly, but the boat was safe. Note this all happened "In town".. I think in town driving is more risky than open freeway

This argument is the equivalent to arguing why you don't need a seat belt.

Last year, I got cut off driving through town, and swerved to miss a guy shooting for a turn lane.. in the commotion, the trailer got flung into the median, and up the curb and back down. No way the boat would have stayed centered on the trailer as it found its way back down the curb.

Ended up bending the trailer axle - pretty ugly, but the boat was safe. Note this all happened "In town".. I think in town driving is more risky than open freeway

This argument is the equivalent to arguing why you don't need a seat belt.

Look out you agree w/ me again... Tongue.gif

Not a very smart suggestion imho, that's like don't wear your seatbelt argument. I only go about 7 miles to my local lake and never travel w/ out them so why risk it? If you're involved in an accident and don't have the tie downs the insurance company may make you partially guilty by creating more damage.

I'm with him

Last year a guy in front of me went over a railroad track and I thought the boat was going to land on my hood!!

I have the retractables mounted to my trailer; it takes less than 10 seconds to hook'm and un hook'm.

I think they should ALWAYS be used.

This fall my uncle was in a bad accident. The truck went off the road and ran into an abrupt incline. The 23' jet sled (Heavy) broke the straps and the front winch location. The boat kept going forward and went through the canopy and all the way up to the front row of seats in a newer Chevy 3500 crew cab.

Even though all the safeguards were in place, one of the guys died. This is an extreme case, but there is a possibility that the other passengers could have been hurt even worse if the straps weren't used.

Thats just what I think. Chad

I say it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If you don't feel right about having the boat back there without straps, then use straps. Who cares what other people think/say? For the peace of mind, it's well worth the small investment in monetary terms for the straps and in time each time you put them on. I have some $30 straps that some folks would say are a WOM. I use them because it feels right to me. If somebody else doesn't want to use them on their boat, that's their business. Do whatever feels right to you.

Holy cow MalibuJim...got some pretty strong opinions here. I happen to agree with the majority on this one. First, it doesn't take that long so why not use them. Secondly, I can't believe that a dealer said not to use them!!!!!!!!! What the hell was he thinking...and thirdly, I think it is kind of funny that we spend hours if not days waxing our boats (and trailers for some of us), we put our toys in padded bags, don't let anyone where shoes in our boats...basically treat our boats better then our trucks and houses and we question using straps...not any more anyway!!! :Doh::salute:Closed.gif

We always use tie down straps without fail, in town or road trips. The risk, not only to my family and I, but to anyone else sharing the road, is more than enough reason to be sure of this easy safety precaution. Not to mention any unwanted damage to our water tractor.

Always put them on the trailer as soon ASAP. This boat we have now (23' WSLSV) was on the way home from delivery at a local lake. I had a friend following us home. He said the boat was at times bouncing 3 inches OFF the trailer and this was on the highway. Got it home and installed retractable straps the next day. Always tow with them. My straps are very close to the gelcoat so we slip the belt through a sheep skin seat belt pad to keep the belt off the gel.

I use tiedowns, my 5 year old is in charge of putting the straps on she isn't strong enough to ratchet them, yet. I was told for short trips they aren't necessary but on a long haul put em on. I put the tiedowns on no matter what though because I feel better and it gives my little one something to do.

I can remember making fun of my racing buddies who used to use 4-5 tiedowns on their racecars and I would only use two...until one day my car almost fell off the trailer at a stop light. I got lucky as the car was almost off the trailer but the 4" exhaust got caught, however I had to pull into a low income housing development to put the car back on the trailer, I was a little nervous.