Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More bottom of the boat questions

CedarLakeSkier

I have some marks on the bottom of my hull where the boat rest on the supports for our boat lift. I noticed it when it was sitting on the trailer, although most of it is covered on the trailer as well.

My question is, does anyone worry about this and try to buff these marks out of the hull?

The roughness certainly would "break the surface tension" (see the waxing thread), but it just doesn't look that good roughed up.

I would imagine to do anything about it you would have to hang the boat without any support underneath so you could work on it. If you didn't fix this on a regular basis, would you try to do something about it when it was time to sell the boat?

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this...

How do you drive in/out of your lift? If you are powering on/off the lift, you may be causing abrasion unnecessarily. Same with the trailer, really, if it isn't deep enough upon launch/retrieve.

I don't hang the boat to work on the hull, because I do neither of the above, nor do I have the immediate means or see the value. I do wax the forward portion of the hull, back as far as the trailer bunks. I doubt any wax holds up on the wetted surface during use. When it's time to sell the boat, the prospective buyer can show up, unannounced, on any day that ends in Y.

How do you drive in/out of your lift? If you are powering on/off the lift, you may be causing abrasion unnecessarily. Same with the trailer, really, if it isn't deep enough upon launch/retrieve.

I don't hang the boat to work on the hull, because I do neither of the above, nor do I have the immediate means or see the value. I do wax the forward portion of the hull, back as far as the trailer bunks. I doubt any wax holds up on the wetted surface during use. When it's time to sell the boat, the prospective buyer can show up, unannounced, on any day that ends in Y.

VinRLX,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't power on or off the lift. However last summer (the first summer I had the boat) the lake level dropped to the level that the boat wouldn't "free float" off of the lift, I actually had to push against the lift to get the boat on. In addition, our boat lift has the "Ultrabunks" from Shorestation. I was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

post-1563-1177625072_thumb.jpg

I don't think the marks are coming from the trailer. I've only had it on the trailer about 3 times and the marks don't match the trailer.

The end result is that they are there now, I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile to try to have something done about it and, if so, have it done now or just when I want to sell the boat.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

The marks came perhaps when you had to push against the lift?

Regardless, it is a question of how deep the scrapes are. Beyond the gelcoat, get it fixed now.

The marks came perhaps when you had to push against the lift?

Regardless, it is a question of how deep the scrapes are. Beyond the gelcoat, get it fixed now.

Not beyond the gelcoat, just two parallel cosmetic scuffs, about 6 feet long, where the "Ultraguards" lift the hull out of the water.