Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Speed Control

dalt1

Got out this weekend and played with setting Speed control at 11MPH and it would not engage at that speed. Had to set it higher then lower it to 11 but it still would not lower below actual speed of 12 MPH. Tried setting in RPM mode at 2300 RPM and it won't set there either. Any suggestions? This is on an 06 VLX.

That seems strange to me. Mine is an 06 and have no problems setting at 10mph and having it catch from the start. Haven't done it for a long time buy I'm pretty sure I can set at 7 or 8 and it will lock on from the start. Just trying to give you some reference. Sorry it wasn't much help.

All you need is the ECM updated. My '06 did the same thing until my dealer upgraded it. Mine was an early '06. Some of the later ones were already updated before delivery.

All you need is the ECM updated. My '06 did the same thing until my dealer upgraded it. Mine was an early '06. Some of the later ones were already updated before delivery.

Mine was bought in Oct 05 so it is an early build also.

Take to dealer and have them upgrade it. Be careful they may try and charge you. Mine tried but failed. Good luck!

Talked to local dealer today. Said easy fix 5 min, but backed up 2 weeks and need appointment, has to check to see if it is covered under warranty. I don't understand an appointment need if it is a 5 min fix? It is stated in brochures that speed control is good for surf speeds so it will be warranteed. Page 8 caption 1 of 2006 Malibu brochure. I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about my local dealer yet, can you tell?

dalt1: I was a little concerned after what you wrote because TNT is my dealer as well. I called and asked Andrew and he said that he was covered up with service work. He also said that you bought your boat from another dealer and he has to service his customers that bought from him first. Every time I have had any issue he has been right on it, but I bought mine from him. TNT has been nothing but awesome. I would not get too upset, everyone is trying to get ready for the summer.

dalt1: I was a little concerned after what you wrote because TNT is my dealer as well. I called and asked Andrew and he said that he was covered up with service work. He also said that you bought your boat from another dealer and he has to service his customers that bought from him first. Every time I have had any issue he has been right on it, but I bought mine from him. TNT has been nothing but awesome. I would not get too upset, everyone is trying to get ready for the summer.

Ride

PM sent to you.

There's a reason you didn't buy from these people, and they just showed you why. Its a 5 minute fix, WTF? Service, service, service. In fact, Service after the sale!

This is the problem with dealers!!!!!!! Guns.gif They make an ok pop on the upfront sale. But, what comes after that? Service and accessory sales. A well run service dept is the bread and butter of any boat, car, motorcycle dealership. If he gave you good service, you'ld come back. Next time you want to buy a boat, you'ld come back.... What the F is wrong with these people? Crazy.gif

Rant off Surprised.gif

I have a friend who bought a Malibu in Las Vegas but lives in Lake Havasu (2-1/2 hours away). He checked around and found boat shop that was Indmar certified. That shop called Malibu and became and authorized Malibu Repair Shop (Lakeland Marine in Lake Havasu). Maybe you could find a repair center in your area and get them to become a Malibu repair shop? Maybe the local MC shop could help you out with the ECM:) Just a thought.

Ride

PM sent to you.

I bought a used boat and brought it home from Baltimore MD. Still has 2 years of factory warranty left. I paid to transfer warranty and got inspection done. It was not a new purchase made out of local territory then brought here for them to service. So that means my Malibu warranty means less because Why? If they want customers to buy their next new boat from them, they are not showing it that way.

Edited by dalt1

dalt1, I sent you a pm.

In all fairness to the dealer, I should get my boat serviced first since I bought from him. I am in no way saying that he should not service all the boats but the customers that buy from the dealer should always be first in line. TNT has been an awesome dealer and when I talked to Andrew he said that it was two weeks because he had a lot full of boats promised out as well as several new ones to deliver. This thing is getting blown way out of proportion. It is a minor fix that the dealer said he would fix. Good luck dalt1.

Edited by ride4fun

dalt1,

In fairness to the dealer, this time of year they are probably having a hard time squeezing anyone in.

Have you tried this to "get you over the hump"? Find out what RPM your engine is at when you are at surfing speed. Switch the malibu speed control to RPM mode. You may have to set it to higher RPMs to kick in, but then drop it down where you want it.

The effect is the same, but it's based on RPM instead of speed. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try until they can work you in.

dalt1, I sent you a pm.

In all fairness to the dealer, I should get my boat serviced first since I bought from him. I am in no way saying that he should not service all the boats but the customers that buy from the dealer should always be first in line. TNT has been an awesome dealer and when I talked to Andrew he said that it was two weeks because he had a lot full of boats promised out as well as several new ones to deliver. This thing is getting blown way out of proportion. It is a minor fix that the dealer said he would fix. Good luck dalt1.

Do you apply this same mentality with your local Ford, Chevy or other automobile dealerships?

I sure hope you never take your BU on a roadtrip and have a warranty issue. If all dealerships applied this mentality, you would be towing it straight home. :)

There's a reason you didn't buy from these people, and they just showed you why. Its a 5 minute fix, WTF? Service, service, service. In fact, Service after the sale!

This is the problem with dealers!!!!!!! Guns.gif They make an ok pop on the upfront sale. But, what comes after that? Service and accessory sales. A well run service dept is the bread and butter of any boat, car, motorcycle dealership. If he gave you good service, you'ld come back. Next time you want to buy a boat, you'ld come back.... What the F is wrong with these people? Crazy.gif

Rant off Surprised.gif

I have a friend who bought a Malibu in Las Vegas but lives in Lake Havasu (2-1/2 hours away). He checked around and found boat shop that was Indmar certified. That shop called Malibu and became and authorized Malibu Repair Shop (Lakeland Marine in Lake Havasu). Maybe you could find a repair center in your area and get them to become a Malibu repair shop? Maybe the local MC shop could help you out with the ECM:) Just a thought.

Sorry for hijack but....

Stewart, thanks for this post. You just saved me a 500 mile round trip for service work!!! Yahoo.gif I keep my boat in Needles and its only 30 minutes to Lake Havasu. So can Lakeland take care of warranty issues too? This is why this website rocks! Rockon.gif

Rob

Sorry for hijack but....

Stewart, thanks for this post. You just saved me a 500 mile round trip for service work!!! Yahoo.gif I keep my boat in Needles and its only 30 minutes to Lake Havasu. So can Lakeland take care of warranty issues too? This is why this website rocks! Rockon.gif

Rob

From what Richie told me YES. I would suggest calling Richie or Renee at Lakeland Marine, 1625 W. Acoma, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403, (928) 453-1155 to double check, but when I was there in October he said he was an authorized Malibu Repair/Warranty Center. Tell them Stewart sent you :) He can also do Extreme trailer warranties as well. Or another place for Extreme trailer warranties is another friend Gary at Gary's Auto & Marine Inc., 140 N. Lake Havasu Ave. LHC, AZ (928) 855-6555. They did my Extreme warranty repair on the spot when I was there last October. (2 bad oil bath seals (?) ) Anyways, they replaced all 4.

Sorry for hijack but....

Rob

From what Richie told me YES. I would suggest calling Richie or Renee at Lakeland Marine, 1625 W. Acoma, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403, (928) 453-1155 to double check, but when I was there in October he said he was an authorized Malibu Repair/Warranty Center. Tell them Stewart sent you :) He can also do Extreme trailer warranties as well. Or another place for Extreme trailer warranties is another friend Gary at Gary's Auto & Marine Inc., 140 N. Lake Havasu Ave. LHC, AZ (928) 855-6555. They did my Extreme warranty repair on the spot when I was there last October. (2 bad oil bath seals (?) ) Anyways, they replaced all 4.

Great, thanks!

I have to agree with ride on this one. If you bought a new or used boat from that dealer you should get priority over someone that went out of state. I supported my dealer by buying from him and he should support me by helping with my problems first over someone that did not. This is not like buying a car. Regardless Im sure he will get you the fix it is a busy time of year.

I have to agree with ride on this one. If you bought a new or used boat from that dealer you should get priority over someone that went out of state. I supported my dealer by buying from him and he should support me by helping with my problems first over someone that did not. This is not like buying a car. Regardless Im sure he will get you the fix it is a busy time of year.

Your right,

Car dealers don't have territories

Car dealers don't have service departments

Car dealers don't handle warranty repairs

Car dealers don't sell accessories and parts

Car dealers don't ever have to deal with people who buy out of there area

Boat dealers on the other hand don't have any of the above characteristics :lol:

Now, I'm not saying that guys who bought form a certain dealer shouldn't get better service than a guy who didn't. But, to tell a fellow customer that because he didn't buy a boat there he will put him at the back of the line is not a good practice. John Q public has know idea what boat in that yard was bought at a certain dealer or not. In this case, they could earn this guys business in the future. We are only talking about a 5 minute fix, right? It not like he's asking for a rebuilt engine or something..... This is just a case of a dealer giving a head trip. Which in the end is not a good business practice.

PS, I don't want to turn this thread into a total dealer rant. I guess it just erks me when a dealer makes a public statement like that. It doesn't help the boating community and it doesn't help Malibu. It really hits home because a friend of mine basically got blackmailed into buying a boat from a dealer that has a similar business practice...... And its not right.

malibu only produces like 4500 boats a year how in world is that like car selling. We all are in it for a deal who isnt into saving money but those five minute fixes on every Joe Blow starts to add up. Im just sick of everyone comparing selling boat to selling cars it is a completely different world!

Rob you are right and I agree. If I were a dealer I would not tell someone over the phone that it is covered by warranty without knowing what the problem is and until I could verify that the customer paid to have the warranty transferred. 2nd he said that he would fix it but he was backed up. Unlike car dealerships there is only one dealer in a territory so he has alot of boats to fix. I also believe that if I do all my business with my dealer I should have my boat service first before someone else who lives in the territory and bought outside the territory. Stewart it is not like he was on a trip from another state and stopped in with a problem. It is obvious that with nearly 5400 post that you will agrue until the end so I am done. I am sure dalt1 will get his boat fixed with no problem, it may just not be yesterday like everyone wants it to be.

I am so done with this. Good luck dalt1, just stay in touch with him and it will get fixed. Rockon.gif

Rob you are right and I agree. If I were a dealer I would not tell someone over the phone that it is covered by warranty without knowing what the problem is and until I could verify that the customer paid to have the warranty transferred. 2nd he said that he would fix it but he was backed up. Unlike car dealerships there is only one dealer in a territory so he has alot of boats to fix. I also believe that if I do all my business with my dealer I should have my boat service first before someone else who lives in the territory and bought outside the territory. Stewart it is not like he was on a trip from another state and stopped in with a problem. It is obvious that with nearly 5400 post that you will agrue until the end so I am done. I am sure dalt1 will get his boat fixed with no problem, it may just not be yesterday like everyone wants it to be.

I am so done with this. Good luck dalt1, just stay in touch with him and it will get fixed. Rockon.gif

That was so perfect that I could not hold back.

First off, I have had to hook up a lap top and download from Diacom into a v-drive several times so I know what I am talking about. It takes a minimum of 15 minutes just to get every thing hooked up and working. Thats if the two are communicating , if they are not it takes several tries. Sometimes you even have to reboot the laptop to get them talking. It is fast once you get it all working.

Second, you could not pick a worse time of year for making any demands on a dealer. They don't have any extra time period.

Quite trying to compare cars to boats, there are no comparisons to be made. If cars sold seasonally we would be closer!

dalt1 - be patient, they will fix it. Call them and schedule an appointment, ask them if they will call if anyone drops out, tell them you will get all the crap out of the boat that might be in there way, tell them you will pull in and not even unhook yor boat, and lastly, if they can work you in take them a case of beer and thank them for helping you out.

If you want someone to b**** at, call the dealer that sold the boat new without downloading the correct calibration.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I learned late last year that my cruise would not hold at the slower surfing speeds...about 11 or 12 is as good as it would do. (i have an early 06 v-ride). After reading on TMC.com or maybe wakeworld last year that their might be a fix with an updated software download, I figured I would have my dealer take care of it when I dropped it off for the next service. Well I forgot about it when I had the boat there last and didn't remember until I saw this thread. So I gave my service guy a call. He told me that he wasn't aware of an updated version to address that issue but he was aware of the issue itself as he had had the same problem in his 06. He told me to swing by and he would hook up his laptop and see what we could do. So I went by early this morning and he downloaded the latest version. It showed a list of items that the latest revision addressed but I don't remember what they were except for the one that said something about allowing slower cruise speeds to be set! Yahoo.gif I would say that it only took 10 minutes tops from the time he climbed in the boat until he climbed out. The only down side was the two + hour round trip drive with the boat in morning traffic! It will be worth it however if the fix works. Wouldn't it be nice if my boat had an IP address and I could hook it up to my cable modem and let the dealer log in remotely! Probably won't be long before it's a reality....then I guess some hacker would figure out a way to blow my engine up. Anyway, just wanted to let the folks with this issue know about what my dealer did and how easy the process was. I hope to get out this weekend and try it out if the rain will hurry up and leave!