Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

screws not stainless steel

Mike d Wakeboarder

well i just got my new 07 vlx about a month ago and a few days ago i noticed rust all over the docking lights. i can tell that it is coming from the screws. wouldn't you think that the screws would be SS since the lights are. i am going to go to my local hardware store this weekend and get all of the screws in SS. What other things on the boat are not SS that i should know about? :)

well i just got my new 07 vlx about a month ago and a few days ago i noticed rust all over the docking lights. i can tell that it is coming from the screws. wouldn't you think that the screws would be SS since the lights are. i am going to go to my local hardware store this weekend and get all of the screws in SS. What other things on the boat are not SS that i should know about? :)

The screws around the RF speakers.

I wouldn't put a single piece of hardware anywhere on a boat that's not SS, and I don't think Malibu would either.

if malibu would not then why are they rusting.

I wouldn't put a single piece of hardware anywhere on a boat that's not SS, and I don't think Malibu would either.

Some hung over assembler reached into the wrong box. Make the dealer replace them and check the rest of the boat.

there are MANY pieces of Malibu's that are NOT stainless steel. that has been my complaint with them for years. for just a few hundred more dollars at build time, they would make us salt/brackish water users much happier. some examples in older BUs (and maybe newer) are seat sliders, engine/seat lift/shocks, and even the screws that hold the dash in. First thing I did after getting my '00 was replace all the dash screws with SS hardware because of all the problems i had with my '99.

ya i think that i am going to go through the entire boat and replace all of the screws that are not stainless. Biggrin.gif

OK, I'll change my wording to "I don't think Malibu SHOULD either". The point I was trying to make as Baddog pointed out is somebody obviously grabbed the wrong screws. It still surprises me though because if I was in the boat building business I wouldn't have a bin of non SS screws to accidentally grab.

OK, I'll change my wording to "I don't think Malibu SHOULD either". The point I was trying to make as Baddog pointed out is somebody obviously grabbed the wrong screws. It still surprises me though because if I was in the boat building business I wouldn't have a bin of non SS screws to accidentally grab.

the point that i was making is that Malibu DOES NOT (or at least as late as 2000) use stainless steel fasteners everywhere. i used to promo for them, and the dealer i worked with told me that this was the case. So maybe in the case above it was a mistake, but in some cases they just don't do it. For example, i just replaced the seat sliders for the 3rd time for my 2000 RLX, and I tried to order stainless steel or galvinized but could not get it. The dealer went directly to Malibu, and they just don't make it. I believe now if you order the saltwater version, you will get all stainless steel components.

I believe now if you order the saltwater version, you will get all stainless steel components.

Saltwater version? I think that's MasterCraft--they are branching out. :)

ICBW, but i thought i read that you could order a BU saltwater version. you definetly can get the indmar with it.

my dealer told me that they have a saltwater addition, i was going to get one, but i just bought one that was at the dealer. i ride in the salt water so i will need to order a saltwater BU in a year or 2, because i can already tell i am going to have problems with it.

I have noticed the same thing, I have many screws that are not S.S. all the panel screws brackets are zinc plated. Most of the screws and bolts on the trailer are, but I'm not going to complain about it. I'm not going to be in any salt water anyways Dontknow.gif

Just be careful when screwing SS screws into anything made out of billet aluminum. Stainless steel is harder than most aluminum alloys and it will strip the holes out if over-tightened.

Just be careful when screwing SS screws into anything made out of billet aluminum. Stainless steel is harder than most aluminum alloys and it will strip the holes out if over-tightened.

point noted... thanks. Biggrin.gif

another thing that i have had problems with is the new SS embloms on the back of the boat. the embloms have rust marks on them already only after a few weeks and 19 hours on the boat. i use my boat in salt water but i wash it off very well after every use and then cover it. my dealer said that they will replace anything that rust, they also said that the quality of the stainless the Malibu is not super quality, so that could have something to do with it. Biggrin.gif

I don't think even lower grade stainless will rust. Are you sure it is not the screws that fasten it rusting?

i agree with you that no stainless should rust. but there are rust sports all over the emplums. i am going to polish them this weekend. i thing it might come off, but i am not sure. i sure hope that it will. Biggrin.gif

If it is rust on the surface sometimes if a steel shear or steel cutter is used to cut the stainless the residue from the steel will rust on the surface of the stainless.

If it is rust on the surface sometimes if a steel shear or steel cutter is used to cut the stainless the residue from the steel will rust on the surface of the stainless.

well it is on the surface, so i will hasve to polish them good and that might do the trick if that is what the problem is. Biggrin.gif

I don't think even lower grade stainless will rust. Are you sure it is not the screws that fasten it rusting?

It is stain-less, not stain-free. Lower grades will, in fact, show rust stains sooner.

Some differing statements on other websites. Stainless steel is not supposed to be magnetic. It appears that you can buy cheap enough grade of stainless to be magnetic and also get rust. The equipment that my company sells contains quite a bit of stainless steel. The only time I have ever seen any rust on our type of equipment was contamination from steel rubbed against and rubbing off on the stainless, or a steel shear having been used to cut the stainless. If there was ever any rust on our stainless you could buff it off with a scotchbrite pad and it never returns.

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cf...EB7809EC588F2D7

http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlesssteelgril...aa042305a_2.htm

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1182