Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Battery from Sears

WaveMake'nLSV

I have researched the mess out of batteries here lately. I had pretty much sold myself on the Optima Blue Top D34M but then started calling around. I called Sears, as they are supposed to be an Optima dealer. They quit dealing them and now sell the Die Hard brand of AGM Battery, called Marine Platiunum AGM or something. It is exactly the same price as the Optima Blue (could not find any better than $189 around locally), supposed to outperform the O.B. by 40% according to the sales dude and has 800+ CCA and 135hr RC at 30a draw. Pretty competent and maybe a tad better than O.B.

Oh and the selling point for me is a 6 year warranty with the first 3 YEARS FULL REPLACEMENT! BAM! I bought me one. Yahoo.gif

Optima is 3 yr I think, with the first 18 mo. full replacement.

Heading down to the boat to slap this puppy in!

Just thought some of you might like another, seemingly "better" (on paper and warranty) option than Optima. Not blasting Optima, so no flames please, rather...the market is now wide open with all sorts of AGM batteries and this seems like a decent deal with a smoking warranty.

Later,

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
I have researched the mess out of batteries here lately. I had pretty much sold myself on the Optima Blue Top D34M but then started calling around. I called Sears, as they are supposed to be an Optima dealer. They quit dealing them and now sell the Die Hard brand of AGM Battery, called Marine Platiunum AGM or something. It is exactly the same price as the Optima Blue (could not find any better than $189 around locally), supposed to outperform the O.B. by 40% according to the sales dude and has 800+ CCA and 135hr RC at 30a draw. Pretty competent and maybe a tad better than O.B.

Oh and the selling point for me is a 6 year warranty with the first 3 YEARS FULL REPLACEMENT! BAM! I bought me one. Yahoo.gif

Optima is 3 yr I think, with the first 18 mo. full replacement.

Heading down to the boat to slap this puppy in!

Just thought some of you might like another, seemingly "better" (on paper and warranty) option than Optima. Not blasting Optima, so no flames please, rather...the market is now wide open with all sorts of AGM batteries and this seems like a decent deal with a smoking warranty.

Later,

I just came from a stereo shop around the corner from my work and bought a one month old yellow top for $70, it doesn't have the hold down bracket but I'll find out how to hold it down.

No such deals around here.

I did, however also find a nice deal (thanks to johnsvt), on a Kinetik Battery. I ordered it from MillionBuy.com. He got his for cheaper on ebay but my paypal is hung up in fraud from a break in right now so no ebay for me. Looks like a great battery also! I ordered ONE of these primarily for my stereo.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/hc2400.asp

Got it for $250 plus SH

I just came from a stereo shop around the corner from my work and bought a one month old yellow top for $70, it doesn't have the hold down bracket but I'll find out how to hold it down.
No such deals around here.

I did, however also find a nice deal (thanks to johnsvt), on a Kinetik Battery. I ordered it from MillionBuy.com. He got his for cheaper on ebay but my paypal is hung up in fraud from a break in right now so no ebay for me. Looks like a great battery also! I ordered ONE of these primarily for my stereo.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/hc2400.asp

Got it for $250 plus SH

Man, I quess you got a good deal. I can't imagine the mark up on a MSRP of $449, I don't think I would spend that much money on a battery.....but if it you feel comfortable with it congrats on your purchase.

$450 for a battery? Whoa! Even $250+ is alot in my book.

There's no way I could sell that to the CFO.

I've had the stock Bu battery in mine and added another standard style from Kragen for the stereo. I do have an isolator and perko on/off, but never had a problem cranking.

EDIT:

I've just got a sub, two amps, four 5 1/4 inch cabin spkrs and four bullets on the tower. You may have a much bigger system and bigger needs...

Edited by chathamsolutions

I spent several hours this morning researching batteries also. Good timing Scott!!

I am in the finishing steps of designing my audio system, and I really want Optima Blue tops (D34M), but I need 2 of them, and $360 - $400 for 2 batteries just sounds awful.

Lib135 is correct – as of this morning my Costco had 7 in stock at $159.99 (D34M). The more I read, the more I realize I am wasting my time by trying to find a cheaper alternative. As of an hour ago I had decided to just bite the bullet, buy them, stack them sideways how I want, and not have to worry about it for years.

But, now that you bring up this diehard, my interest is peaked. I cannot find ANY info about them, (or even a diehard website??) any where. Can anyone provide any more information on them? Scott, can you take a pic or two of yours once installed?

Thanks,

Chad

I put a blue top 34 battery in our pontoon 2 years ago and was unable to get the E-tec outboard with it's 30 amp alternater to charge it. My Schumacher charger wouldn't charge it either, only thing that did was a battery tender which took days. Cry.gif I tried bringing it back to battery world and they said it charged fine on their charger. Dontknow.gif Apparently they seem to work fine with all the inboard owners on the board?

Stinger batteries

The sp800 and 1000 are about half the size of a standard battery. Good if your tight on space. And they come with their own case.

If you look at the picture in the link the black part of the battery is the case the red battery slides inside it. So you just screw the case to the floor and drop in the battery.

Edited by bigD

i had a farely new optima in my boat . i charged it up after it setting for the winter,got to the lake, turned the key and nuthn. i had to go to wal mart and buy a everstart, $65. the cheaper battery has never let me down. i had two on my previous boat( chris craft) and never had a problem. you can waste your money on the big boy but i prefer to spend my money else where

Here are pics...more when the install is complete.

It is pretty much the same size as the Optima Blue. And your right, Chad...nothing on their website yet. Only been out 4 months, supposedly and no problems yet. But heck, man...36 month FULL REPLACEMENT warranty is hard to beat, IMHO and it is the EXACT same price as Optima Blues (around here anyway).

post-2658-1177538935_thumb.jpg

Trying to post more pics...but problem with server.

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
So what was the cost?... and what are the dimentions? the blue top is 10 x 6.8 x 7.8 including the posts.. That is one of the advantages.

He posted the link a few posts back, fourth post to be exact.

Edited by 68Slalom

The Link was for the Kinetik battery I ordered today as well.

Another pic of the Die Hard

So what was the cost?... and what are the dimentions? the blue top is 10 x 6.8 x 7.8 including the posts.. That is one of the advantages.

He posted the link a few posts back, fourth post to be exact.

post-2658-1177543936_thumb.jpg

Last one...

BTW...I measured it, and it is within 1/16" of the Optima Blue specs someone above quoted. So I would say that are the SAME, FWIW.

Hope all this helps! Again, not bashing Optima...just another option for folks.

post-2658-1177543999_thumb.jpg

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
Last one...

BTW...I measured it, and it is within 1/16" of the Optima Blue specs someone above quoted. So I would say that are the SAME, FWIW.

Hope all this helps! Again, not bashing Optima...just another option for folks.

Thanks Scott!! I will check into one of thoes.

Nice Find Db252!

More output, more reserve and TWICE the warranty. Seems like it is a no lose situation. Hence the reason I jumped when I found it.

Just my $.02/worth as always! Whistling.gif

Here is the info that I found on the DieHard Platinum battery.

Click Here

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?ma...products_id=307

Opinions???

I'm shopping for a deep cycle battery. I was looking at Optima's D31M and I stumbled across this one. I will be using the battery not only for the boat (stereo is a non-issue) but running the D/C boat lift off the battery as well with a quick connect to the lift motor.

Looks impressive on paper....but it is still a SEALED LEAD ACID Battery. So if your going to mount it traditionally, not a big deal. Pretty sure you could mount on its side, but *I* would be less than comfortable doing so. One major spill on carpet/fiberglass and that part of the boat is toast.

Claimed performance seems impressive, however.

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?ma...products_id=307

Opinions???

I'm shopping for a deep cycle battery. I was looking at Optima's D31M and I stumbled across this one. I will be using the battery not only for the boat (stereo is a non-issue) but running the D/C boat lift off the battery as well with a quick connect to the lift motor.