Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

L@@KING for a wake surfboard

zilla

Hi Guys

You guys always have some awesome feedback .

Looking for a beginner wake surfer for everyone. Weight range is about 150 to 200 lbs

I know you can help Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Thanks in advance

Zilla

Hi Guys

You guys always have some awesome feedback .

Looking for a beginner wake surfer for everyone. Weight range is about 150 to 200 lbs

I know you can help Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Thanks in advance

Zilla

Check out the Hyperlite Landlock. It is a great beginner boat of a surf board that anyone can ride. Once you advance a shorter board will be wanted but the Landlock will always be perfect for beginners. Check your local dealer for closeouts from last year.

Thanks,

Spencer

I bought a Red Tide from Inland Surfer a few months ago. The Red Tide is their beginner board. I have not had a chance to ride it yet, but that thing looks darn sexy. I did a bunch of research over the winter, and lots of people had awesome things to say about Inland Surfer. I got mine at a great price since they were on sale, but they normally are not cheap…

Chad

I think the biger broadcast (the 5'2" or whatever it is) is a much better beginner board. You'll find the landlock to be really slow once you get used to surfing.

Does the inland surfer fit in your board racks? That is one reason I'd shy away from those... plus the ones I've ridden didn't seem to have good edging - more of a old school cruiser surfboard, than one you could really work the wave. (I'm not a board expert though)

I think the biger broadcast (the 5'2" or whatever it is) is a much better beginner board. You'll find the landlock to be really slow once you get used to surfing.

Does the inland surfer fit in your board racks? That is one reason I'd shy away from those... plus the ones I've ridden didn't seem to have good edging - more of a old school cruiser surfboard, than one you could really work the wave. (I'm not a board expert though)

I rode DQ's Broadcast this weekend @ the TX Spring Fling. My first time surfin'. Think that is the board I'm going with for now.

Totally agree. Whatever you buy, don't buy a purely beginner board because after about 3 trips you'll be wishing that you'd bought something that will allow more progression. The Landlock would not be a good choice IMO for that reason alone. The Broadcast is a good catch-all board that can be set up a lot of different ways using different fin placement as you progress.

Totally agree. Whatever you buy, don't buy a purely beginner board because after about 3 trips you'll be wishing that you'd bought something that will allow more progression. The Landlock would not be a good choice IMO for that reason alone. The Broadcast is a good catch-all board that can be set up a lot of different ways using different fin placement as you progress.

If you do end up going for the landlock change out the fins to only two 1.2 P wings. The board is a lot more fun to ride. I found that the fins that came with that board just stuck way too much and I couldn't really do anything except stand there and follow the boat around the lake. When the board is loose with the P wings I can cutback, slash, ride way back, pump the wave and get back in the sweet spot. I've spun 360 successfully a handful of times (tried many more) and rode back down the face. The beauty is that I ride it behind a Response LX.

Edited by Rod S

If you do end up going for the landlock change out the fins to only two 1.2 P wings. The board is a lot more fun to ride. I found that the fins that came with that board just stuck way too much and I couldn't really do anything except stand there and follow the boat around the lake. When the board is loose with the P wings I can cutback, slash, ride way back, pump the wave and get back in the sweet spot. I've spun 360 successfully a handful of times (tried many more) and rode back down the face. The beauty is that I ride it behind a Response LX.

Plus1.gif

It is a wide board though with a lot of floatation. Sometimes hard for smaller people to handle. We keep the stock fins in the boat and put them on for begineers.

Oops...I need to clarify. I'm riding the 5'6" Landlock. I forgot they went through all the changes in 05/06. I guess I'm basically on the 5'6" broadcast which I don't think would work well for your big boy beginner riders.

Edited by Rod S
Oops...I need to clarify. I'm riding the 5'6" Landlock. I forgot they went through all the changes in 05/06. I guess I'm basically on the 5'6" broadcast which I don't think would work well for your big boy beginner riders.

That one will work well for bigger guys. 5'6" is a lotta surface area on the water.

I use our old LandLock for surfing with Tarah (6 year old)

Surfin w/Tarah vid

Troy - not sure which inland surfers you are riding, but the blue and the yellow both have great edging and can carve the cra* out of the wake. You are correct though, they don't typically fit in standard racks -- DBOT5 is a great choice for those looking for a true surf rack that also holds your wakeboards without board clap.

The broadcast is a decent board as well, but the big brand companies don't have the wakesurf expertise (R&D) into it like the wakesurf specfic companies - Inland Surfer, Walker, Walzer, Phase 5, XBC, Shredd Stixx.

Too see what the best riders out there are riding check out this post - http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1177513043

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Inland Blue board for anyone -- beginners or experts can have a blast with this board!

Good clarification & I agree on the last part of that comment as well about the big boy beginners. A better compromise for people like that may be a board the same size but with more flotation. The Phase 5 Oogle, CWB Ride & LF Force Skimskate (not sure what the new model is called) would all be good choices for that upper weight range, particularly behind a direct drive boat. Behind a vdrive the Broadcast would be a great across the board-do anything for anyone type of board, but with the limitations that a direct drive will present a board with more flotation would be a good idea IMO. JM2C

Troy - not sure which inland surfers you are riding, but the blue and the yellow both have great edging and can carve the cra* out of the wake. You are correct though, they don't typically fit in standard racks -- DBOT5 is a great choice for those looking for a true surf rack that also holds your wakeboards without board clap.

The broadcast is a decent board as well, but the big brand companies don't have the wakesurf expertise (R&D) into it like the wakesurf specfic companies - Inland Surfer, Walker, Walzer, Phase 5, XBC, Shredd Stixx.

Too see what the best riders out there are riding check out this post - http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1177513043

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Inland Blue board for anyone -- beginners or experts can have a blast with this board!

Looked to me like only 1 inland surfer board in the winners circle -

For the OP - the big brand companies make plenty fun, easy to ride & grow on boards at a competitive price, that don't require replacement board racks. I shouldn't comment on the inland surfer line, other than to focus on the obvious drawbacks I see (the high cost and incompatibility with std board racks)

Looked to me like only 1 inland surfer board in the winners circle -

For the OP - the big brand companies make plenty fun, easy to ride & grow on boards at a competitive price, that don't require replacement board racks. I shouldn't comment on the inland surfer line, other than to focus on the obvious drawbacks I see (the high cost and incompatibility with std board racks)

Whistling.gif both of our Inland Surfers fit in the wbracks....

Hey - stay out of this jerk.. I always saw you red chubby sittin in the front of the boat (vs in a rack) Tease2.gif

OK, since someone broght up "big boys" I feel the need to chime in. Since I'll be in the market for a surfboard soon as well, I lot of the comments on this thread as well as others talk about the size of the board and the bouyancy due to material. I guess one of the questions I have to those of you have more expertise than I is...if I or other "Big Boys" out there have been skiing for years and wakeboarding for years, does our "experience" on other "water toys" not come in to play vs. a 250 pounder who has not really spent much time behind a boat???

Hey - stay out of this jerk.. I always saw you red chubby sittin in the front of the boat (vs in a rack) Tease2.gif

Cuz our rack was always full :Doh:

For Big Boyz I tend to think that the 5'6 would be a better choice. Remember, that board comes with 3 fins & you can change the characteristics of the board a lot by playing with that. Slider (my husband) is about 230 & rides the 5'6 - he started with stock fin placement, then took off the outer small fins & left the big center fin (making it faster & looser), & now he's replaced that center fin with one of the smaller fins so he's just running that one small fin in the center. The result is a very fast, loose board that's still large enough with enough flotation to accomodate a larger rider. This is the thing that makes the Broadcast so versatile IMO.

Well said Wakegirl...I appreciate the input. The fin placement gives the board the "upgradeability" that I want...if that isn't a word I don't care, I kinda like it!!! I have had the problem that some of the Crew have probably faced before when you spend$$$ on an entry level "whatever" and a half dozen rides into it your looking for an upgrade. I guess that's why this site is worth the "Chief-ness...$$$" becuase I save money with help from all of you! Sorry to steal your thread Zilla but I figured since you asked...hopefully this will help you as well. Clap.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gif

I am in the same boat so to speak and I need some help as well.... I was thinking about the broadcast as well, and I do not know what size I should go with..... 5'6" or 4'9" I am about 190 lbs and I am like the others have said have been around the watersports for a long time and I was thinking that maybe I should go with the 4-9 for me... But, like with a lot of people our equipment gets shared by everyone and that would be a wide range of sizes, from small girls between 100-120 lbs to some guys in the 225 range.... So, what is the consensous???? I have never done the wakesurf yet, tried at the real thing though..... I like the Broadcast because it does fit in my racks and I would not have to get another special rack...... And, if I get really into the surf thing, then I would upgrade to another high end board and deal with the rack issue later..... So, to boil it all down, do you think 4-9 or 5-6????? Thanks

I am in the same boat so to speak and I need some help as well.... I was thinking about the broadcast as well, and I do not know what size I should go with..... 5'6" or 4'9" I am about 190 lbs and I am like the others have said have been around the watersports for a long time and I was thinking that maybe I should go with the 4-9 for me... But, like with a lot of people our equipment gets shared by everyone and that would be a wide range of sizes, from small girls between 100-120 lbs to some guys in the 225 range.... So, what is the consensous???? I have never done the wakesurf yet, tried at the real thing though..... I like the Broadcast because it does fit in my racks and I would not have to get another special rack...... And, if I get really into the surf thing, then I would upgrade to another high end board and deal with the rack issue later..... So, to boil it all down, do you think 4-9 or 5-6????? Thanks

I have both Biggrin.gif

The 4-9 is more fun, but you need a nice wake to ride it comfortably... I personally usually ride the 5-6 (I'm ~199.95lbs ;))

I have both Biggrin.gif

The 4-9 is more fun, but you need a nice wake to ride it comfortably... I personally usually ride the 5-6 (I'm ~199.95lbs ;))

Plus1.gif

I'm 240lbs and have both boards, including a Red Chubbie and LF Skimskate. On the 4-9 Broadcast I can ride it ropeless under perfect circumstances same with the Chubbie and LF Skimskate (which does not fit in a board rack Mad.gif ). But with the 5-6 Broadcast I can pretty much ride it all day long on most any wake.

I have ridden the Phase 5 Oogle and Prop. The Prop was a little small for me while the Oogle was like a Faster 4-9 Broadcast IMO.

Like Wakegirl said, you can change the fin placements and it will change the ride characteristics. We have only experimented with this slightly, and it really comes down to personal preference.

Well said Wakegirl...I appreciate the input. The fin placement gives the board the "upgradeability" that I want...if that isn't a word I don't care, I kinda like it!!! I have had the problem that some of the Crew have probably faced before when you spend$$ on an entry level "whatever" and a half dozen rides into it your looking for an upgrade. I guess that's why this site is worth the "Chief-ness...${:content:}quot; becuase I save money with help from all of you! Sorry to steal your thread Zilla but I figured since you asked...hopefully this will help you as well. Clap.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gif

Dont even worry thats what we are all here for

Clap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gif