Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast idea

UWSkier

Since our boat is never and probably will never be on water other than on our small lake, I was thinking of a custom ballast setup that works something like this.

4 sacs, two small ones under the bow seats, two 750 pounders in the V drive hatches. All plumbed together via common garden hose with Apollo ® valves between all sacs.

I figure I will always want both bow sacs full for surfing, so one of those will get the fillup hose attached to it and the valve between them will rarely be closed.

Here's how it works. Pull up to the dock where you have a high flow pump. Connect the filler hose from the bow sacs. Using your valves, you isolate whichever rear sac you don't want filled. Get to pumpin. If you want to switch from goofy to regular, use your valves to isolate the rear sacs from the front, and open the hose between the two sacs. Squeeze all the water from the one side to the other, and close up the valve again. To empty, pull up to the dock and suck the water out. I would build some sort of wheeled carrier for my pump.

Also figure I'd get a Tsunami and an extra sac to use when running a light crew.

Thoughts? I figure this would be faster than messing with pumps and hoses out on the lake and an electric, shore-powered pump should be able to do the job in half the time.

Welcome to the dark side.... :)

It's thoughts like these, my boy, that lead to bigger and bigger wakes, and to thoughts of pounding those wakes with a wakeboard. he, he, he....

It's thoughts like these, my boy, that lead to bigger and bigger wakes, and to thoughts of pounding those wakes with a wakeboard. he, he, he....

Nah. Our lake has become overrun with tubers in the mid day hours. I figure if I can't find decent water when they're out there, I might be able to take a few of them out when they unexpectedly plow into my colossal wake. Innocent.gif I'll always be a slalom skier. I just need something easy on the muscles that I can do in choppy water that won't wear me out for dusk skiing, like surfing. Thumbup.gif

Edited by UWSkier

Uh hum, right. That's how it starts.

Glad you're looking at it that way. BTW - wakeside.com is having a sale on wakeboards right now, you might want to check it out :)

[

Nah. Our lake has become overrun with tubers in the mid day hours. I figure if I can't find decent water when they're out there, I might be able to take a few of them out when they unexpectedly plow into my colossal wake. Innocent.gif

ROFL.gif

We often will fill some of the extemporaneous sacs while in the slip - with a garden hose from the water faucet.

Gives the crew something to do while I'm putting my sunscreen on

Try Hydrofoiling! No matter how rough the lake gets the ride is always smoooooth Thumbup.gif

Nah. Our lake has become overrun with tubers in the mid day hours. I figure if I can't find decent water when they're out there, I might be able to take a few of them out when they unexpectedly plow into my colossal wake. Innocent.gif I'll always be a slalom skier. I just need something easy on the muscles that I can do in choppy water that won't wear me out for dusk skiing, like surfing. Thumbup.gif

The only thing I can think of is for an emergency, keeping a submersible aerator around. We've had a couple of times we needed to empty for various reasons while on the lake. If that were to happen, you may want something other than your bilge to get the water out!

We had one sack split right at the seem and 600lbs of water went gushing about, of course it all went to the side that the other 600lbs was on and we had a pretty scary lean going on darn near over the sides (this was on our older '95 sunsetter). The sides were lower than on our VLX so we had to get rid of water before a wave came in. Just incase, probably a good idea to spend the $50 to have it safe