Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gelcoat repair NW New Jersey?

Anyone know of a place that repairs gelcoat and does polishing and possible wet sanding in Northwestern New Jersey. I've been looking for over a year and can't find anyone. I've been reading the post and I'm tempted to try it myself but would rather have a pro do it. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Anyone know of a place that repairs gelcoat and does polishing and possible wet sanding in Northwestern New Jersey. I've been looking for over a year and can't find anyone. I've been reading the post and I'm tempted to try it myself but would rather have a pro do it. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

I never checked but I assume you have: Does Sanbar do it? If you find a plce let me know, please. I ahve a little refurbishing needed.

Sanbar said they did'n't do it. Doug at Morris Marine was supposed to do it over the winter but just kept jerking me around. Now I can't find anyone. I'll try the Greenwood lake are even though its kind of far.

Thanks

Perhaps some of the places along the shore but I don't know anything about them.

Electricjohn??

i have a buddy who owns an auto body repair place who repairs fiberglass, however he's in illinios. check around at some of your local auto body places, maybe they can help.

we also have several snowmobile repair places that fix fiberglass, not sure how much snowmobiling is done in NJ, but i though i'd throw it out there.

Thanks, John

What do you mean by NW-NJ? I'm looking up a dude in C-NJ now, will post later.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks, John

What do you mean by NW-NJ? I'm looking up a dude in C-NJ now, will post later.

I'm in Byram Township in Sussex County. (the very bottom of Sussex county)

The Shore is about 2 hours easily trailering a boat. But I'll try that too if it gets to it. I did talk to a body shop yesterday and he said he doesn't do getcoat repair but that he paints boats. Anyone ever hear of this? He said it was a lot cheaper and that he does it all the time including his own.

All I'm really looking to do is have the bimini top hardware taken out. They all look like they have been pulled out in the past and I'm never going to use the bimini so I figure I would just have them taken out. So its just some screw holes that would need to be filled. Other than that there are a couple of minor scratches and two really small dull spots that would probably come out with a polisher and some light compound but I'm still not confident enough to attempt it yet.

I've been looking for a body shop that specializes in fiberglass but haven't found one yet. Thanks for the info so far and If I ever find some one I'll let you all know.

I'm going to call a place called Danforths tomorrow and check them out.

John

John,

Try the web site, morganmarine.com, they have a fiberglass guy that they used to list on the site, but he is not listed anymore. He is still in bussiness as I see his truck in his driveway. I think he works as a mobile repair shop but not positive. He did a big job on my buddies 26 ft. Grady White last season and you can not tell were the repair work was done. Call the marina to get his number. Hope this helps. edit; He goes by the name Fiberdecks or something like that.

electric John

Edited by electricjohn
Perhaps some of the places along the shore but I don't know anything about them.

Electricjohn??

i have a buddy who owns an auto body repair place who repairs fiberglass, however he's in illinios. check around at some of your local auto body places, maybe they can help.

we also have several snowmobile repair places that fix fiberglass, not sure how much snowmobiling is done in NJ, but i though i'd throw it out there.

ALL the snowmobiling in New Jersey is done in Upstate New York. That's just the way it is.

you could always get a thin piece of stainless steel and make some type of descrete cover for your holes for the bimi or drill some symetrical holes in it for a little flare and non-slip surface.

My old echelon has plastic type pads that run on the top of the gunwales where I guess you are supposed to step or grab to get in and out of the boat. I am soon going to be replacing with some stainless. this will be alot cheaper option in my opinion.

The Shore is about 2 hours easily trailering a boat. But I'll try that too if it gets to it. I did talk to a body shop yesterday and he said he doesn't do getcoat repair but that he paints boats. Anyone ever hear of this? He said it was a lot cheaper and that he does it all the time including his own.

All I'm really looking to do is have the bimini top hardware taken out. They all look like they have been pulled out in the past and I'm never going to use the bimini so I figure I would just have them taken out. So its just some screw holes that would need to be filled. Other than that there are a couple of minor scratches and two really small dull spots that would probably come out with a polisher and some light compound but I'm still not confident enough to attempt it yet.

I've been looking for a body shop that specializes in fiberglass but haven't found one yet. Thanks for the info so far and If I ever find some one I'll let you all know.

I'm going to call a place called Danforths tomorrow and check them out.

John

Boat painting is fairly common with the small go-fast crowd that mainly run high-powered small (16-21ft) jet, I/O or V-Drive boats. Many of these boats are older and have been partially or completely restored. Many owners find painting to be a very good alternative to gelcoat and it is possible to do different types of artwork (like you would see on a custom bike) in the paint. Painting is pretty rare when it comes to ski/wakeboats.