Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil Marine 15w40

WaveMake'nLSV

I think that is primarily a 4-stroke OUTBOARD oil. Not sure there is any difference or not b/t an outboard and INBOARD engine as far as the goings-on internally. But since Yamaha, Honda, Mercury are all pushing the 4-stroke outboard, I bet THAT is what sparked it.

I'd use what Indmar recommends. I use Rotella T because that's what they happen to have on sale in the spring at Fleet Farm.

People really tend to overthink this oil stuff. Indmar has a huge stake in longevity and health of their engines, both from a reputation standpoint and especially warranty liability, so I think it's reasonable to assume that they've given their lubrication recommendations some serious thought. Personally, I see no reason to try to out-think Indmar on something like this.

Am sticking with the majority in that, as long as it exceeds current recommendations by the manufacturer, it should be good. I change mine every 30-40 hr anyway, so it is all likely an overkill. Dontknow.gif

Truer words never spoken, IMHO.

wix 51060 is the larger version of the 51069 holds a little more oil some think this is better fits under my vlx check for clearence problems before purchase. Wix is a far superior filter ( wix supplies napa with thier gold filters)

• 1 month later...
There's no such thing as a "marine specific" oil. Pennzoil Marine is just Pennzoil's 15W40 diesel oil with a different label. Indmar calls for 15W40 that meets (or exceeds) API service classification CH-4/SJ. Those oils are currently classed at CI-4/SL. Pennzoil or Rotella T are generally most easily found. Walmart usually sells the Pennzoil. NAPA usually sells Rotella T.

Filters - the Pennzoil PZ-3 that Indmar recommends is made by Fram and among the most poorly rated filters around. A much better filter is a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069. These two are the same filter. Indmar's recommendation of Pennzoil oil and filter is based on a marketing agreement and has nothing to do with quality.

So, to revive this thread.

At OSH I found Valvoline 'Premium Blue' 15W-40 'Diesel Engine Oil'

If what BM states is true, then it's irrelevant what other gobbledygook is on the sticker - just pay attention to the #'s right? So, it said 15W-40, so I bought a gallon.

There's no such thing as a "marine specific" oil. Pennzoil Marine is just Pennzoil's 15W40 diesel oil with a different label. Indmar calls for 15W40 that meets (or exceeds) API service classification CH-4/SJ. Those oils are currently classed at CI-4/SL. Pennzoil or Rotella T are generally most easily found. Walmart usually sells the Pennzoil. NAPA usually sells Rotella T.

Filters - the Pennzoil PZ-3 that Indmar recommends is made by Fram and among the most poorly rated filters around. A much better filter is a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069. These two are the same filter. Indmar's recommendation of Pennzoil oil and filter is based on a marketing agreement and has nothing to do with quality.

So, to revive this thread.

At OSH I found Valvoline 'Premium Blue' 15W-40 'Diesel Engine Oil'

If what BM states is true, then it's irrelevant what other gobbledygook is on the sticker - just pay attention to the #'s right? So, it said 15W-40, so I bought a gallon.

As long as the sticker also says that it meets or exceeds API service classiification CI-4/SL (most "diesel" oils do), you'll be good to go.

Edited by Big Mac

I have been running Shell Rotella T 15w40 and Mobil One filter. Ran it for 25 hrs and checked it...and it was pretty dark. Sooooo, had just reached 100+ hrs on the motor, so was going to change over to Mobil One full synthetic, but couldn't readily find it at the time (loca Auto Parts store out of it at the time) so just went with Rotella T again. Going full synthetic next time for sure.

Was surprised to how seemingly DARK the oil was at only 25 hr of use. Course with the boat loaded for surfing and a couple people on board, I am pushing 7000-7500# thru the water at 10 mph, so I recon that is a tad bit of a workload for my HH.

As long as the sticker also says that it meets or exceeds API service classiification CI-4/SL (most "diesel" oils do), you'll be good to go.
I have been running Shell Rotella T 15w40 and Mobil One filter. Ran it for 25 hrs and checked it...and it was pretty dark. Sooooo, had just reached 100+ hrs on the motor, so was going to change over to Mobil One full synthetic, but couldn't readily find it at the time (loca Auto Parts store out of it at the time) so just went with Rotella T again. Going full synthetic next time for sure.

Was surprised to how seemingly DARK the oil was at only 25 hr of use. Course with the boat loaded for surfing and a couple people on board, I am pushing 7000-7500# thru the water at 10 mph, so I recon that is a tad bit of a workload for my HH.

There is no Mobil 1 oil that meets Indmar's requirments. If you want to use a Mobil synthetic for some reason, consider something in the Delvac line.

From the web site:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr...asp?product=112

# The first approved Cummins CES20071 and CES20076 lubricant

# Meets or exceeds current OEM standards for all diesel-powered light trucks

# Meets or exceeds the following engine manufacturer's specifications:

Cummins CES 20078, MACK E0-N Premium Plus, CES 20076, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel (4-stroke), International, VDS-2 and Volvo VDS-3. Also meets ACEA E5-99, Global DHD-1, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SL

On another page it states the same, but lists them as API approved ratings.

B Mac,

I wonder if Amsoil makes an oil suitable? I just want to put a SUPER HIGH quality 100% synthetic in my HH on the next oil change.

T'anks,

B Mac,

I wonder if Amsoil makes an oil suitable? I just want to put a SUPER HIGH quality 100% synthetic in my HH on the next oil change.

T'anks,

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

ame_qt_350pxh.jpg

Personally, I'm not a believer in synthetic oil for boats - there's no benefit to synthetic over API-certified mineral-based oil in that type of application and it's a pointless expense. OTOH, a good quality synthetic oil (like Amsoil) won't hurt anything, and the increased cost of using synthetic is pretty negligible as a percentage of a boat's total annual maintenance cost. So if one is a true-believer in synthetic oil and doesn't mind spending the extra money, then go for it.