Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil Marine 15w40

WaveMake'nLSV

Been reading and rehashing thru some of the old synthetic oil threads...and plan on switching to Amsoil when I get > 100 hr mark. But until then, the oil looks a tad darker than I want it to and plan on changing it now (78hr) and then making a switch at 100. I know it is overkill and I have been "acused" of being OCD. ROFL.gif

Went to 3 different Boat Places Saturday and they ALL looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked if they had MARINE SPECIFIC 4 cycle oil. They wanted me to buy OUTBOARD 4 stroke and I refused. Others said that he puts SAE40w in all the new Cobalts with the 5.7L in it. But I want to stick with the MARINE rated stuff.

Looks like I am trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack in the retail world around here anyway.

Cannot find it locally and need to order some. Any idea?

Have checked West Marine and others on the LINKS section.

TIA,

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

Just called them...a they don't carry it, around here anyway. Cry.gif

Thanks anyway....

NEXT?

Go to your local Napa Auto Partsstore and pick up some 15w40 there. There are plenty in the Little Rock area.
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

You should be able to find Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade 15w40 around there. Check the Chevron site. At the bottom of the link they give a list of places that carry the oil, including Autozone and Costco.

Is Delo a marine grade? Seems like I read Delo was a good oil, in one of the various oil threads I trudged thru this afternoon.

You should be able to find Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade 15w40 around there. Check the Chevron site. At the bottom of the link they give a list of places that carry the oil, including Autozone and Costco.

Looks like Delo is a diesel oil...does that matter? Dontknow.gif

Not trying to stir the oil thread pot, btw

Is Delo a marine grade? Seems like I read Delo was a good oil, in one of the various oil threads I trudged thru this afternoon.

Actually...they do have it by the gallon. But hate to buy 2 gallons and throw away 1/2 of it. I don't like to re-use oil once the container has been opened for some time. Yeah...I know, I am OCD. ROFL.gif

I can buy Pennzoil Marine oil right off the shelf at West Marine. I don't know if they sell it on line.

Oh, come on now!

This isn't brake fluid we're talking about. So, you'd rather waste all this time looking for qt. bottles of it when you know you can get it at W.M. You need help.

LOL...Thanks! Innocent.gif

Guess they draw out of partially filled 55 gallon drums all day for a long time, until its gone. Crazy.gif

Oh, come on now!

This isn't brake fluid we're talking about. So, you'd rather waste all this time looking for qt. bottles of it when you know you can get it at W.M. You need help.

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

But they don't have the PZ3 Filters...so there. What is the Napa Part number for that one, schmarty pantz. Tongue.gif

I don't mind running the Napa Gold Filters, they have always done really well in the filter tests I have seen.

I can buy Pennzoil Marine oil right off the shelf at West Marine. I don't know if they sell it on line.

WOW!

For anyone watching this thread and looking also for oil filters...there is a comprehensive list on this thread and other information:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....ic=1249&hl=

Engine Oil Filter All 5.7 Liter:

Pennzoil PZ3

Mobil One M1-302

Fram CPH 30 / PH 30

Napa 1069

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

NAPA 1069

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

Can you tell I am bored...?

Cheers.gif

Just trying to research a bit...(I know, I know) and give back to the group! Whistling.gif

Scott - you mean you searched that out, amongst all your posts today Tease2.gif
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

Cheers.gif

Just trying to research a bit...(I know, I know) and give back to the group! Whistling.gif

Does your "research" consist of asking us a different question every hour? Tease.gif

Cheers.gif

Does your "research" consist of asking us a different question every hour? Tease.gif

He's just giving you plenty of opportunity to post useless replies. ROFL.gif

WOW!

For anyone watching this thread and looking also for oil filters...there is a comprehensive list on this thread and other information:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....ic=1249&hl=

Engine Oil Filter All 5.7 Liter:

Pennzoil PZ3

Mobil One M1-302

Fram CPH 30 / PH 30

Napa 1069

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

NAPA 1069

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

Napa 1069 is on that list twice. I use the Napa Gold filter which is built by Wix.

There's no such thing as a "marine specific" oil. Pennzoil Marine is just Pennzoil's 15W40 diesel oil with a different label. Indmar calls for 15W40 that meets (or exceeds) API service classification CH-4/SJ. Those oils are currently classed at CI-4/SL. Pennzoil or Rotella T are generally most easily found. Walmart usually sells the Pennzoil. NAPA usually sells Rotella T.

Filters - the Pennzoil PZ-3 that Indmar recommends is made by Fram and among the most poorly rated filters around. A much better filter is a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069. These two are the same filter. Indmar's recommendation of Pennzoil oil and filter is based on a marketing agreement and has nothing to do with quality.

There's no such thing as a "marine specific" oil. Pennzoil Marine is just Pennzoil's 15W40 diesel oil with a different label. Indmar calls for 15W40 that meets (or exceeds) API service classification CH-4/SJ. Those oils are currently classed at CI-4/SL. Pennzoil or Rotella T are generally most easily found. Walmart usually sells the Pennzoil. NAPA usually sells Rotella T.

Filters - the Pennzoil PZ-3 that Indmar recommends is made by Fram and among the most poorly rated filters around. A much better filter is a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069. These two are the same filter. Indmar's recommendation of Pennzoil oil and filter is based on a marketing agreement and has nothing to do with quality.

TRUE!!! 'Big Mac'

There is a new certification for marine rated 4-stroke oil known as FC-W. From what I have read, no regular automotive oil can pass the certification for the FC-W rating. I checked today and my local Wal-Mart is caring an FC-W rated oil. This stuff is expensive and maybe its overkill but its the only thing I will put in boat from here on out.

FC-W oil

OK...here is what I have concluded.

I am going to put Shell Rotella 10w40 and Mobil One M1-0302 filter. Have heard many great things about Rotella and in fact, that is what a mechanic buddy of mine runs in all his stuff and what I run in my Duramax. I agree with BigMac, and I guess the bottom line is that as long as the oil meets or exceeds the CH-4/SJ requiredments by ASI then I am golden.

Interestingly, Mobile One came out with a new oil that is CJ-4/SM or something like that. I think Rotella has the same rating, just in smaller writing.

Thanks for the all the help and hopefully this thread will help out another Bu'owner here, until I can successfully re-hash an already well-trodden thread! Rockon.gif

I think that is primarily a 4-stroke OUTBOARD oil. Not sure there is any difference or not b/t an outboard and INBOARD engine as far as the goings-on internally. But since Yamaha, Honda, Mercury are all pushing the 4-stroke outboard, I bet THAT is what sparked it.

There is a new certification for marine rated 4-stroke oil known as FC-W. From what I have read, no regular automotive oil can pass the certification for the FC-W rating. I checked today and my local Wal-Mart is caring an FC-W rated oil. This stuff is expensive and maybe its overkill but its the only thing I will put in boat from here on out.

FC-W oil

I agree the push was for outboards but the oil I saw today was FC-W rated and said it was for inboards and stern drives, I think it was quicksilver brand. I read an article in Boating Magazine that strongly recommended using FC-W rated oil for any marine use engine: outboard, sterndrive or inboard. I'm far from an expert but that is what I read.

I agree based on what you have shown...BUT, Indmar will have to come out and disprove their previous recommendations in order to cause REAL concern, IMHO. And believe me...I am a sucker for a better mousetrap!!!! Am sure someone, maybe the engineer type on here, will comment.

Am sticking with the majority in that, as long as it exceeds current recommendations by the manufacturer, it should be good. I change mine every 30-40 hr anyway, so it is all likely an overkill. Dontknow.gif

I agree the push was for outboards but the oil I saw today was FC-W rated and said it was for inboards and stern drives, I think it was quicksilver brand. I read an article in Boating Magazine that strongly recommended using FC-W rated oil for any marine use engine: outboard, sterndrive or inboard. I'm far from an expert but that is what I read.