Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Refurbishing

Been away from the site for 3 months and trying to catch up on the 49 pages of unread posts. But you don't care about that.

Last year I posted pictures of my concept of a great Goose Guard and got blasted by a lot of "friends" here about the condition of my teak swim platform. I bought the Teak Guard kit last year but ran out of season, so . . . . . .

Yesterday I started the refurb job and so far it looks much better. But, how many coats of the Teak Guard stuff should one put on? Can you put too many?

Whaddaya think?

From the website:

Applying TeakGuard Finish

As soon as practical after the wood is dry, apply the first thin coat of TeakGuard Finish with a foam brush. Working the TeakGuard Finish into the surface of the wood it essential to creating the bond between the wood and the TeakGuard Finish. Delaying just one or two days will allow the heat of the sun to draw fresh oils to the surface and give mold spores time to find your teak. For best results, apply a second thin coats after 30 minutes and allow to cure for 24 hours.

Lightly buff the surface with dry bronze wool to remove the grain rise and smooth the surface. Using the bronze wool earlier can remove too much of the finish. Remove the dust and another debris from the surface with a tack cloth or damp rag, then apply 2 additional thin coats of TeakGuard Finish leaving 30 minutes between coats.

If a deeper color or finer finish is desired, allow the last coat to dry for 24 hours, then buff the surface lightly between every other coat with bronze wool or wet sand the finish with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper, dust and apply additional coats to achieve the desired color and finish.

Avoid applying TeakGuard Finish during the heat of the day in the sun to allow time for it to penetrate the wood. TeakGuard Finish should take 15 to 30 minutes to be dry to the touch, but it takes 24 to 48 hours to completely cure and develop maximum film strength. When applying multiple coats of TeakGuard to decking in a single day, avoid twisting or dragging motions with your shoes and tools for the first 6 hours. Even though the TeakGuard Finish is dry to the touch, the polymerization process is far from complete.

I used it for the 2nd time.

I put 4 coats over a 2 day period.

I get 2 full seasons out of it that way and my seasons are 150 engine hours with the boat sitting in water 600 hours.

I only do a light buff between coats 1 and 2.

I've never used teak guard, so I can't help you much there. But I will say how well it looks will all come down to prep work. I just refinished mine over the weekend. I didn't think I knew what I was doing but it came out looking awesome. For the most part I was just using jugs of stuff left over from doing my deck. I started with Behr #64 finish remover (blue jug), scouring with a copper brillo pad (like steel wool only copper). Then I used the teak cleaner that came with my oil. Again, I scrubbed with the copper pad. Then I finished with Behr #63 brightener (green jug). I used a power washer between steps. After letting it dry good, I put a couple coats of oil on and wow, it could pass for brand new. Now how long the oil lasts, I guess time will tell. Maybe I should do like mentioned above and use some light sand paper and do another oil coat.

Don't recomend powerwashing wood - it raises the grain

To maintain your teak, just reapply a couple light coats of oil every month or so... reduces the need to to toally overhaul the thing

Don't recomend powerwashing wood - it raises the grain

To maintain your teak, just reapply a couple light coats of oil every month or so... reduces the need to to toally overhaul the thing

As long as you keep the nozzle at an appropriate distance and keep it fanned out, power washing is fine. It was much easier to do the teak than my cedar deck. The cedar is softer, and I power wash it all the time.

MalibuNation

Somewhere in the instructions they refer to 5 coats. Been working hard around the house and have cleared the plate and this is my next project. Surprised.gif

Not sure if I'll put on 5 coats ... we'll see.

Edited by jchooper