Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with depth sounder

Love2Board

I have a Hawkeye depth sounder to install, and I don't know where to put the transducer. I would rather not use a thru-hull, I'd rather just glue it in place. Does anyone know where the best place to put the transducer is?

I temporarily mounted it right under the transmission (direct drive), and it didn't read anything. Probably because of the bilge pan. Should I drill a hole in the bilge pan to ensure that I mount the transducer directly to the hull?

Can I get a little help please?

I have a Hawkeye depth sounder to install, and I don't know where to put the transducer. I would rather not use a thru-hull, I'd rather just glue it in place. Does anyone know where the best place to put the transducer is?

I temporarily mounted it right under the transmission (direct drive), and it didn't read anything. Probably because of the bilge pan. Should I drill a hole in the bilge pan to ensure that I mount the transducer directly to the hull?

Last year I mounted one in the forward portion of the bilge, right behind the front balast bag, I had the same concern about not using a through hull mount. I used Epoxy and part of a plastic cup to make a level area to mount to on the hull because where it needs to be away from the keel, is sloped because of the forward location. After that set up, it just gets epoxied in place. The trick is you need to mount it over a thinner portion of the hull, and under the tranny is a pretty thick part of the hull. The other thing is there needs to be no air bubles in your epoxy, or it won't work well if at all.

I spent a half hour in the boat on the ramp one cold cloudy day with the bilge full of water and the unit hooked up to a spare battery to find a good location to mount it. The instructions that came with it recomended filling the bilge with water in order to test the unit where you would like to mount it.

Last year I mounted one in the forward portion of the bilge, right behind the front balast bag, I had the same concern about not using a through hull mount. I used Epoxy and part of a plastic cup to make a level area to mount to on the hull because where it needs to be away from the keel, is sloped because of the forward location. After that set up, it just gets epoxied in place. The trick is you need to mount it over a thinner portion of the hull, and under the tranny is a pretty thick part of the hull. The other thing is there needs to be no air bubles in your epoxy, or it won't work well if at all.

I spent a half hour in the boat on the ramp one cold cloudy day with the bilge full of water and the unit hooked up to a spare battery to find a good location to mount it. The instructions that came with it recomended filling the bilge with water in order to test the unit where you would like to mount it.

Thanks. Good info! Tell me more about the plastic cup you used for leveling.

Thanks. Good info! Tell me more about the plastic cup you used for leveling.

I just cut the bottom out of a disposable plastic cup that was large enought to fit the transducer into, the transducer for mine is round, used a couple pieces of duct tape to hold it in place and put just enough slow-setting epoxy in so that it covered the hull. It ends up being thicker on one side than the other due to the angle of the hull. Points straight down into the water though.

Waited over night, took out the plastic cup and duct tape and epoxied in the transducer.