Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Managed to not get hit but...

hyperlitenerd

Well after a guy was leaving the dock in his I/O and hitting two boats, one being the sherrif, I had backed away very quickly to avoid this guy, which set me up to come in crooked into the trailer, the wind was not helping me either. I get up to the trailer, and tell my brother to grab one of the guide poles to steady me and even me out. my dad comes over too to help me, they have me centered and tell me to power up, but the boat is still crooked somehow, and goes to the right of the roller on the front of the trailer. So I try and back out, and we hear a nice grrrrind, so I put the boat in neutral, dad backs the boat in, gets it centered again (very challenging with wind ya know) and pulls the boat out of the water. It turns out that the prop hit the trailer, :(. The tips of the prop are bent in about 1/2 of an inch, and the trailer has a nice scrape on it. I am surprised all the prop did was take paint off the trailer, thats a tough trailer. but now we either need to replace the prop, or get it repaired.

Just telling my story for today.

Yeah, well I learned how to take the prop off, not too hard. But today was full of idiots everywhere, I guess following the the lake flows in a counter clockwise rotation rule is for the limited few... grrr Mad.gif

We also had a fellow malibu cut us off!! we were wakesurfing in this backsection of the lake so we are out of the way and our rollers wont attack everyone. and we just drive around in circles in there. but this malibu comes in, gets their rider ready, and take off to the main section of the lake, but by the time they were ready we were getting near them. So they take off, we have our rider up, they go directly in front of us maybe 30ft, So my dad just kills the throtle and dumps our surfer. the guy behind the other bu falls down maybe 15 ft in front of us. thankfully no one was hurt. Maybe everyone should take the california safe boaters course... oh well just another story from today.

Sorry to hear about that. Makes my 20 minute wait for a guy to get his pontoon boat loaded seem like not such a big deal. To top it off, once he had it loaded he pulls up about 20 yards and parks.....right where everyone turns up to start their back down. Unbelievable. Lame.gif

How deep was your trailer so that your prop hit?

Can't even think how this would be possible with my trailer unless I was "floating" on to it...

Not hacking on you...but wan't to make sure I am not missing something obvioius...

Dave

The trailer was in enough so that most of the bunks were in the water, then we drive it up the last little bit. It was really a freak accident, it hit the trailer up on top of where the prop gaurd is, but a little bit further. Ill try and get some pics up. It really surprised me when I heard the sound, I have come in weird ways before, but we managed to come out un scathed.

It can happen pretty easy if you come in crooked and miss the bow roller. My buddy was driving for me (he was recovering from an ACL repair) and wasn't used to landing my boat. He missed the trailer the first time because of a roller. I never noticed the damage until months later. It turned out he barely folded the tips on all three blades.

Thankfully, we had an uneventful day on the lake. Got home from church, grabbed the boat, on the water by about noon and there was only one other boat out... :) ...I was stunned. The boys hesitated about who was getting in the cold water first so I grabbed my slalom ski and got first water. Clap.gif My wife rocks as a driver... Thumbup.gif My younger went next and got up first pull Yahoo.gif then his buddy went, then my older boy, by this time a few other boats had shown up and the water wasn't flat anymore but...what a great day, I love summer. Yahoo.gif

I am so jelous of you NorCalibu!! we got out we were the 6th boat on the water, after my run which couldnt have been more than 25 min the wind picked up, by the time the next rider was in the water, we had wind chop :( then it got crowded yada yada yada I need to buy some land and make a private lake...

Loading the boat is the most nervious time I have when were out boating.

River current pushed my old Response over on top of the boat guide after the pvc gaurd floated away, $$$.

Then loading my boat on another river the PVC guide broke off and the metal part of the guide put a 3' and 1' gouge in my gel coat on my current boat. $$$. Cry.gif

Pass Norcal the oxygen.  He is hyperventilating.....

Did my excitement come through in the post? :)

I was really nervous about my younger son's first time out this year. It clicked for him at the end of last year and I was afraid he might go back to struggling with it...Nope! Yahoo.gif Getting the first water and some strong pulls on the slalom stick was great but watching my boys made my day. Yahoo.gif

i read a couple of comments that interest me. california, safe boating class, clockwise driving. first there is no safe driving in california. I grew up there and that term is relative. clockwise. time to go somewhere that the stinkin clock does not rule your world. sounds like elsenore ore somehwere close. I had been there over the years and I would never go back. I would rather drive to a private lake in palm desert or trek to mohave. have a great summer.

first there is no safe driving in california

A guy can dream cant he?

I go to anderson because it is the closest lake to me, only about 35-45min depending on traffic. Most of the time we can go out at the right time get our ridding in and get out before the idiots show up.

I have been wanting to build a private lake on this long dirt strip near my house, i've looked at the strip, it would be perfect. The only thing holding me back are funds and zoning laws.

I have been wanting to build a private lake on this long dirt strip near my house, i've looked at the strip, it would be perfect. The only thing holding me back are funds and zoning laws.

Well, that and water rights. Biggrin.gif Good luck gettin' the water when that desert known as So Cal keeps installing lawns with every house. Cry.gif

I too am a little confused how the boat could get so crossed up that the prop hits the trailer especially if the guide post is there. I'm not trying to bash you in any way, but at least with my trailer setup, it would be very difficult to miss unless the trailer were very very deep.

I sink my fenders just under the surface of the water, and the bunks end up being at an angle where it's going to be real tough to miss.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Well, that and water rights. Biggrin.gif Good luck gettin' the water when that desert known as So Cal keeps installing lawns with every house. Cry.gif

I sent many gallons or refined beer down there... ROFL.gif

I too am a little confused how the boat could get so crossed up that the prop hits the trailer especially if the guide post is there.  I'm not trying to bash you in any way, but at least with my trailer setup, it would be very difficult to miss unless the trailer were very very deep.

I sink my fenders just under the surface of the water, and the bunks end up being at an angle where it's going to be real tough to miss.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I'm thinking the same thing. As long as I take it slowly, the boat centers itself perfectly each time I we load. Could be he was in such a hurry, the boat didn't have time to settle itself properly on the bunks.

What happened was the trailer was sitting at a bit of an angle compared to the dock. I was going a bit faster than I do normally, battling the wind. I came into the trailer too far on the left, my brother in the bow grabbed the guide and pushed me off hoping to center me. The wheel was still turned most of the way to the right, so when I taped the gas it over did the push to the right, putting the bow to the right of the bow roller. I paniced, put it in reverse, and the back of the boat hit the trailer, the prop then hit the trailer. Dad then told me to not touch anything, after putting it in neutral of course. He then grabbed the bow centered it, and cranked the boat onto the trailer. So it comes down to that I was trying to do it too fast. All the conditions were right for this to happen, and oh well, it happens. Normally if I come in bad, I will back away circle around and get it the 2nd time. but that day it was so crowded with so many idiots it was not an option. Next time I wont trash the prop.