Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing...How to get up?

WaveMake'nLSV

Out this weekend with a friends Landlock 5'6". I got up first try and rode for a bit. Pretty dang fun!!! My girlfriend, who is decent wakeboarder, tries and tries both Sat and Sun and cannot get up. We tried turning it sideways like you do wakeboarding, heels on the rear of the board all the way up to the front of the board. No matter what, the board would NOT flip up and give any resistance...so she just drank the lake every time. NOT very popular thing, btw.

Was thinking maybe putting a hand up there at the initial takeoff to get the board to flip up and offer some resistance, she could start pretty much like WB'ing.

She is 5'6" and about 125#. Figgered the board would just pop her right up...but it never flipped up and remained nearly horizontal EACH time.

TIA,

Coupla thoughts...

feet should be balanced on board, so somewhere in the middle... when boat starts going, she's got to push down with her heels to get the board to come down between her and the boat.

another way to do this is to go ahead and stand on the board, so its submerged... knees very bent, then just as boat starts moving, let it float up in front of her. this second method requires more balance, but the balls of your feet are already on the board as the boat gets going.

Is she pushing down with her heels the entire time? If so, that's a no-no. I usually start with the board floating on top of the water and my heels resting on the board. Once the boat goes in gear and provides some resistance, I give a little push down with the heels to set the board against my feet, but then just ride up like I would a wake board. Be lazy. Give a slight forward (upward) shove with your front foot, relax your back, don't push down with your heels, and you're up before you know it. Just like on a wake board. If you push down with your heels, you'll get water over the board and won't ever get up.

Edited by UWSkier
Is she pushing down with her heels the entire time? If so, that's a no-no. I usually start with the board floating on top of the water and my heels resting on the board. Once the boat goes in gear and provides some resistance, I give a little push down with the heels to set the board against my feet, but then just ride up like I would a wake board. Be lazy. Give a slight forward (upward) shove with your front foot, relax your back, don't push down with your heels, and you're up before you know it. Just like on a wake board. If you push down with your heels, you'll get water over the board and won't ever get up.

yep, what Matt said. However, once the boat is in gear I take one hand off the rope and give the board a little nudge to get it flipped up. Then I have the driver hit it.

Out this weekend with a friends Landlock 5'6". I got up first try and rode for a bit. Pretty dang fun!!! My girlfriend, who is decent wakeboarder, tries and tries both Sat and Sun and cannot get up. We tried turning it sideways like you do wakeboarding, heels on the rear of the board all the way up to the front of the board. No matter what, the board would NOT flip up and give any resistance...so she just drank the lake every time. NOT very popular thing, btw.

Was thinking maybe putting a hand up there at the initial takeoff to get the board to flip up and offer some resistance, she could start pretty much like WB'ing.

She is 5'6" and about 125#. Figgered the board would just pop her right up...but it never flipped up and remained nearly horizontal EACH time.

TIA,

oops, i mis-read your topic, I thought you were having trouble getting it up with your GF. However, back to the real issue.

This is not unusual for some people, I am not sure it they think it is harder than it really is or what. It seems that once they get it, they've got it.

First, do not use a ski rope handle, too dangerous.

Second, attach the rope to the tower.

Third, have her start to the rear and side of the boat.

Fourth, have her relax in the water with her heals on the surfboard, knees bent, once the boat begins a very gentle pull, she just stands up (like getting up from a chair). A lot of the time I am standing on the very slightest pull and am up before the boat is moving. (We start from the swim grid these days, but when you fall it is still a water start).

here is a link i found showing someone getting up it is good start, the board is huge though.

getting up

Ahem!!! Whistling.gif Never been an...well, nevermind. Tongue.gifInnocent.gif:blush:

oops, i mis-read your topic, I thought you were having trouble getting it up with your GF. However, back to the real issue.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Matt's description is pretty good.

If you'll be using the Landlock again, it has a rubber track top that covers almost the whole board. There's about 1 1/2 inches of board around the edge that isn't covered.

- Have the board floating in the water in front of her - heels on the board.

*Her heels should be right on the edge of that rubber tracktop, close to the edge of the board.

- Once the boat pulls away, she should push down on her heels and the pressure from the water should push the board up against her feet.

IMO this is a very critical point for the driver as well. I think the driver has just as much to do with getting someone up on a surfboard the first couple of times as the rider's skill. You've got to be staring at the rider or in your mirror so you can watch what they're doing and slowly give it gas at the right time so as not to drag them but not to pull them off the board either.

A veteral will want you to pull them up as quickly as possible, becuase this part of the process burns energy quickly and makes muscles sore for days if done wrong. But you've got to help the new rider get up as a driver. Don't just floor it and expect them to get up.

If all else fails, find another girl friend ;)

Yup...she did all that, but apparently didn't have enough weight and/or technique to get the board tipped up once the boat slowly went underway. Hence the reason, I think maybe reaching forward and giving it a slight nudge will help. Then I can ease the power on and pull her right up. I always thought lighter riders on bigger board = easier to get up...but the landlock is VERY VERY boyant.

Matt's description is pretty good.

If you'll be using the Landlock again, it has a rubber track top that covers almost the whole board. There's about 1 1/2 inches of board around the edge that isn't covered.

- Have the board floating in the water in front of her - heels on the board.

*Her heels should be right on the edge of that rubber tracktop, close to the edge of the board.

- Once the boat pulls away, she should push down on her heels and the pressure from the water should push the board up against her feet.

I think asking her to take a hand off and nudge the board will be a little too complicated.

find a smaller board for her - if it is too boyant, she won't be able to sink the board easily, becuase of the bad leverage. Her only hope, would be to move her heals closer to the edge, and then shuffling her feet closer to the middle once she gets on top of the board

Thats what I thought...or maybe just give up. Innocent.gif

Not sure I want to plunk down $250-400 for us EACH a board. She isn't a weakling and pretty decent at watersports, so I think we can TRY to get the board tipped. You pretty much have little or NO leverage with your heels right out in front pushing down on the board...it just kind of sank b/c of the weight of MY legs when I got up. I could see, too, it would be EASY to try to stand up too soon and fail as when trying to learn how to wakeboard. Gotta let the boat pull you up and not muscle it, IMHO.

I think asking her to take a hand off and nudge the board will be a little too complicated.

find a smaller board for her - if it is too boyant, she won't be able to sink the board easily, becuase of the bad leverage. Her only hope, would be to move her heals closer to the edge, and then shuffling her feet closer to the middle once she gets on top of the board

Once her heels are on the board put the boat in gear(this is where the board flips up onto her feet), once in gear have find her normal comfortable stance (wakeboard stance) and then go a few inches wider, once her stance is good then she'll be good to go.

Troy's right. Closer to the edge.

It's all about technique. My CFO is same height / size and she can do it, and she's a moderate wakeboarder.

The leverage comes from your heels pushing down (obviously not a position of strength) and the pull of the boat (very strong). So, she's got to hold the rope to her chest, let her legs do ALL the work and viola, the leverage from the boat will force the board against her feet. Just got to convince her to keep trying. Take it slow as the driver.

Once her heels are on the board put the boat in gear(this is where the board flips up onto her feet), once in gear have find her normal comfortable stance (wakeboard stance) and then go a few inches wider, once her stance is good then she'll be good to go.

Good advice. 'Take out the slack!'

I have seen a few people try to point their toes toward the boat (like a ballerina dancer) and never get the board to flip up. She has to push her heels down and point her toes up to the sky so the board can flip up.

I think that a lighter board will be much easier for her to get up on. That Landlock is very heavy for the smaller riders. My wife tried to get up on the LL and couldn't do it, then I gave her my Phase 5 Oogle and she popped right up the first time (and she is not a wakeboarder). I think the LL is just too big and heavy for the smaller riders.

So you can get a new smaller and lighter board or a bigger/heavier girlfried. Crazy.gifTease.gif

Good luck.

all good points said above.

for me when helping new riders up it is all about barely putting the boat in gear until they can get the board to flip up vertical, then i just gas it slowly while they stand up (just like getting up from a chair).

i've had lots of lightweight smaller riders get up on the landlock, but definitely can be a little more challenging than a smaller board -- but once she does it once or twice she will have it.

another point that was not mentioned, but not sure if it is an issue for her -- if she is wearing one of those "cool" non-coast-guard approved jackets, she might want to try one that is more boyant. for a newbie that could make all the difference...

it just takes some people longer than others to figure it out, don't give up on her.

Good Point...as she was wearing a loaner wetsuit at the time. LOTS MORE WEIGHT, I am sure.

another point that was not mentioned, but not sure if it is an issue for her -- if she is wearing one of those "cool" non-coast-guard approved jackets, she might want to try one that is more boyant. for a newbie that could make all the difference...

A lot does have to do w/ the driver. This weekend was my 1st time to surf & I was fortunate to have DQ behind the wheel. Popped right up the first time. Clap.gif Hang in there.

Take your time, like Krock said it does have alot to do with the driver. Start out fast, then slow it down and always have them pulled up on the side they are surfing that way they do not have to fight the whitewash and the drop in, it can be harsh.

Grant

DQ