Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shower has no cold water...

I can't get any water to come out of the shower head when I turn the cold water valve on. So of course I have to use hot water which is too HOT to touch after about 1 second. I took it to the dealer last year for this and I don't remember what they said was wrong, and I am not sure if they even fixed it. So is there anything that anyone knows of that is a common issue with this shower.

Also is it good practice to replace the Engine water pump impeller every year? And how long does it usually take to perform that task.

Daman

The shower is really a pretty simple device, there is really only a few things that can cause the problem you describe:

1a. Cold water line not connected to anything - Assuming the VDs are the same as the DDs in this regard, you should find a Tee in the line between your raw water impeller and your tranny oil cooler. At a minimum, you should be able to follow the blue hose from your mixing valve to some point on your raw water intake.

1b. Cold water line connected to hot water source.

2. Blocked cold water line - disconnect both ends and see if you can blow air through.

3. Bogus mixing valve - even though you are turning the cold water knob, the valve isn't actually opening.

As for the impeller, you'll find basically two camps around here: (1) the 'doing it every year is cheap insurance' camp, and (2) the 'every three years is good enough, why waste the money/time' camp. There really isn't a wrong answer, other than the 3rd camp: the 'I've never changed my impeller' camp, which is typically followed by entry in the 'my engine just spiked temp, and won't run worth a crap, what happened' camp.

I can tell you on a DD it is very quick to change the impeller, maybe 20 minutes. I've heard you have to be a bit of a contortionist on the VD.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I had the same problem. I’d say it’s more than likely a clogged screen just inside the cold water inlet on the mixing valve. Just pull the valve body out, disconnect both the hot and cold, and see if you can reverse flush the unit through the nozzle hose or just clean the screen. Mine had rust / scale across both screens. Had to pull the panel to gain access to the back of the mixing valve & hoses.

Excellent suggestion - I haven't had that problem with mine, so it didn't really come to mind. But I know others have had that problem - tvano has tried a couple experiments with trying to put filter screens in each line where they could be more easily accessible, but I don't know if he ever had much success.

I will check that out this weekend thanks for the input guys, I like the PM direction of changing it every year rather than the three year good to go method.

-Daman

I had the same problem. I’d say it’s more than likely a clogged screen just inside the cold water inlet on the mixing valve. Just pull the valve body out, disconnect both the hot and cold, and see if you can reverse flush the unit through the nozzle hose or just clean the screen. Mine had rust / scale across both screens. Had to pull the panel to gain access to the back of the mixing valve & hoses.

That's the first thing that I check on this kind of thing, & it's usually something that's clogging up the screen.

BTW Daman, I sent you a pm a looooong time ago that I think you haven't read yet. Get me your address so I can send you a sticker. :)