Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Core and Low RPM Y-Valve

summerfun

My heater started leaking last summer so I put a by-pass hose between the two valves until I could replace it. My friend had just replaced his last year and it cost him about $400 for new heater. I was not in a big hurry to spend that kind of money so I put it off until now. This spring however I found you can replace the core only for under $100, so I thought I would put that out there if anyone else runs into this problem. It was vary easy to replace. The core is only held in the box with a few screws. Take the old one out, slide the new one in. No problem. Check the web sites however, it was a little more expensive directly from Malibu.

I also decided this would be a good time to put in the low rpm Y-valve. As has been noted on this site many times, I plan on putting it BEFORE the impeller. I found it interesteing that when I picked up the valve from the dealer, (he only charged $15, less than I found them online) the dealer instructed me to put in AFTER the impeller and before the trans cooler. I told him that was wrong from everything I had ever read on this board. He said that is how they always put them on. I find in interesting that the dealer does not know how these are supposed to work and I feel bad for the people that pay the dealer to install them and they end up wrong.

Have a good summer. It is the first 80 degree day here, I am heading out.......

My heater started leaking last summer so I put a by-pass hose between the two valves until I could replace it. My friend had just replaced his last year and it cost him about $400 for new heater. I was not in a big hurry to spend that kind of money so I put it off until now. This spring however I found you can replace the core only for under $100, so I thought I would put that out there if anyone else runs into this problem. It was vary easy to replace. The core is only held in the box with a few screws. Take the old one out, slide the new one in. No problem. Check the web sites however, it was a little more expensive directly from Malibu.

I also decided this would be a good time to put in the low rpm Y-valve. As has been noted on this site many times, I plan on putting it BEFORE the impeller. I found it interesteing that when I picked up the valve from the dealer, (he only charged $15, less than I found them online) the dealer instructed me to put in AFTER the impeller and before the trans cooler. I told him that was wrong from everything I had ever read on this board. He said that is how they always put them on. I find in interesting that the dealer does not know how these are supposed to work and I feel bad for the people that pay the dealer to install them and they end up wrong.

My 2 outlet heater started leaking too. HeaterCraft has a 2 year warranty, so they sent me a new core, which is upgraded from the one that came on the boat originally. The new core isn't just the soldered heat exchanger, it's the entire grey box. A new 2 outlet costs about $83 from SkiDim or about $100 from HeaterCraft. The old fan and motor unit bolts back onto that and you connect back up the original hoses and wiring. I did note that the new grey core is a little larger than the original one they were using in 2004, so the re-mounting was just a little more problematic. Edited by Big Mac

$400? Your friend got taken. you can get a new core from Napa for about $35, or one from heatercraft (supposedly different material that will last longer, but I seriously question it) for more money.

Do a search on the site, and you can find the replacement part numbers for the 2 heater core.

Edited by Addictedto6
I found it interesteing that when I picked up the valve from the dealer, (he only charged $15, less than I found them online) the dealer instructed me to put in AFTER the impeller and before the trans cooler. I told him that was wrong from everything I had ever read on this board. He said that is how they always put them on.

The factory was (is?) installing them after the impeller. However, as you say, from everything here is seems as the after installation is not as effective.

$400? Your friend got taken. you can get a new core from Napa for about $35, or one from heatercraft (supposedly different material that will last longer, but I seriously question it) for more money.

Do a search on the site, and you can find the replacement part numbers for the 2 heater core.

I think he did too. The $400 was for a brand new unit plus install from the dealer, so I guess that is about the price for a brand new one. He was never told he could replace the core. When I told him that I was just replacing mine, he was a little upset.

I think he did too. The $400 was for a brand new unit plus install from the dealer, so I guess that is about the price for a brand new one. He was never told he could replace the core. When I told him that I was just replacing mine, he was a little upset.

How long ago did it happen? I would go after the dealer....