Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Integrated Bow Sack

VLXRonnie

I found this posting on WSR discussing the addition of an aftermarket bow sack that fits under the bow seat storage area. Has any one tried this sack?

If so, what do you think about it?

link to the sack:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakebo...ed_bow_sac_w711

link to the post:

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....allast&st=0

Skicrave...If you are available, I would love to here your experience's if in fact you have installed one.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VLXRonnie

• Steck

• WakeGirl

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha. That was my original post and I still havent solved this issue. Hopefully this year I can resolve my issue. Right now I am leaning to the lead but I would like to see if "taking the overflow from the center mls and running it to the front to fill the sac. On this line I would also add a valve to keep water in the sac. To drain I figure I can let it gravity back into the center and let the center pump it out." would work...

Ha. That was my original post and I still haven't solved this issue. Hopefully this year I can resolve my issue. Right now I am leaning to the lead but I would like to see if "taking the overflow from the center mls and running it to the front to fill the sac. On this line I would also add a valve to keep water in the sac. To drain I figure I can let it gravity back into the center and let the center pump it out." would work...

Yeah, I am thinking about either lead or this bag too. Like in your post, I wonder actually how long it will take to fill a 500# tank and a possibly 800# bag from one pump. I took a quick look last night at the center ballast tank and pumps; am I correct in assuming the pump with the quarter turn valve is the fill pump and the one with out is the discharge pump? Also, is the vent line for the tank the hose that is connected to the tank nipple on the aft portion of the tank?

Have you thought about installing separate pumps for the bag?

Hopefully we could find some one that has accomplished this installation.

I have thought about adding seperate pumps but dont really want to drill any holes in the boat. I was thinking if I "T"ed off the pick up and place another pump I could fill quicker and to drain I could add a T in the drain line (likewise with the vent) with a pump to drain, but I dont know how well this would work.

Lead just seems easier and cheaper, by the time you by the pumps, however we have to drive at least 30 mins to the lake and transporting lead would get to be a pain (transfering to the truck, then to the boat).

I wonder how much water you really can get in one of those...I know its not 800lbs.

I have thought about adding seperate pumps but dont really want to drill any holes in the boat. I was thinking if I "T"ed off the pick up and place another pump I could fill quicker and to drain I could add a T in the drain line (likewise with the vent) with a pump to drain, but I dont know how well this would work.

Lead just seems easier and cheaper, by the time you by the pumps, however we have to drive at least 30 mins to the lake and transporting lead would get to be a pain (transfering to the truck, then to the boat).

I wonder how much water you really can get in one of those...I know its not 800lbs.

I can agree with not drilling any holes in my boat either. I would be to afraid I would F something up. I thinking some type of manifold system that SSLXi made for his ballast system. Manifold

As for the Lead it does seem easier, but I know I will also grow tired of moving them. IIRC if you just move the bags from the bow to the back you wont risk exceeding the hitch rating on your tow vehicle.

Lets hope someone will chime in with some experience with this situation.

Skicrave (hint, hint)

You have really got me thinking about going the sac route instead of the lead. Sure it will be more work, but in the long run I think it may be a better fit to my needs.

I've got ballast up front under the seats. It has been wonderful. Here's what I did:

I used the side sacs instead of the bow sac:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakebo..._side_sacs_W703

Why? Because I wanted room at the very front of the bow for a drain pump and my boat anchor. I screwed an aerator pump into the center bildge drain and wired it in with my center ballast switch. I ran the hose on the drivers side, under the dash and to the front. I also tied in the bildge hose with a check valve to act as a burp and anti-siphon (look at how the factory center ballast was done. Same thing.) The hose runs to the front of the boat where it T's off to the two bags.

For draining, I used one pump at the bow that's also T'd off. Those drain lines run through the bags to the back so they can drain while cruising with the bow high. They empty through the side via an existing hole.

Last, but not least, I cut two plastic 1/4" thick boards that fit on top of the bags to prevent them from lifting the seats.

I suppose you want pictures now. I'll get some soon. Thumbup.gif

Yeah some picture would be nice...I have been thinking about simer pumps vs aerator pump. Any thoughts?

So right now, I am thinking either make a manifold off the center ballast fill thru-hole or use the bilge hole. If using aerators I would have to have a check valve next or do you think since hose is higher than the pump that this is unnecessary, and then the sac. (vent Line also would be added) To drain I would then just go straight from the pump and T into the midship ballast drain line.

Do you guys foresee any problems?

Would the simer pump have enough back pressure to drain back through the bottom of the boat?

Yeah some picture would be nice...I have been thinking about simer pumps vs aerator pump. Any thoughts?

So right now, I am thinking either make a manifold off the center ballast fill thru-hole or use the bilge hole. If using aerators I would have to have a check valve next or do you think since hose is higher than the pump that this is unnecessary, and then the sac. (vent Line also would be added) To drain I would then just go straight from the pump and T into the midship ballast drain line.

Do you guys foresee any problems?

Would the simer pump have enough back pressure to drain back through the bottom of the boat?

I am currently having the integrated bow sac istalled in my 21LSV by my dealer. They are putting a brass T in place of the intake pump for the midship ballast. Then running two separate pumps off the sides. One for the midship ballast and one to fill the integrated bow sac. The fill hose will connect at the U. They will drill a hole in the side of the boat for the drain pump and vent the sac through the same tubing for the midship ballast. I will be able to fill and drain the integrated bow sac and midship ballast independently.

When do you get your boat back? Could you post some pics when you do get it back?

I wonder if they are using a check valve or a loop.

Sounds like everyone is gearing up for ballast projects. I think I might be able to help with some great priced Fly High sacs left over from the Elevate Ballast Systems (RIP). I will inventory what I have in the back and discount for crew members. I might have other parts available as well. Email me with any questions.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Spencer

When do you get your boat back? Could you post some pics when you do get it back?

I wonder if they are using a check valve or a loop.

I will post some pictures next week.

Steck, you shouldn't need a check valve as long as you vent the line. This will break any siphoning backflow. I like the way Shone described and will probably modify mine slightly with the T fitting. It's a pain to get to the drain plug under the V-drive all of the time.

I would stay away from the Simer pump for a few big reasons. They can't run dry or else you'll burn up the impeller. Also, they're quite loud. You may think thaat you can muffle the sound, but you'll still hear a whirring sound and it's constant. It WILL drive you nuts. I learned that from experience. Lastly, they are slow. Aerator pumps are at least twice as fast and totally silent.

Dibs on a bow sac...

Thumbup.gifPlus1.gif

Steck, you shouldn't need a check valve as long as you vent the line. This will break any siphoning backflow. I like the way Shone described and will probably modify mine slightly with the T fitting. It's a pain to get to the drain plug under the V-drive all of the time.

when you mention the drain plug by the V-drive, are you planning to use that thru hull as a fill point for the ballast pump?

I would stay away from the Simer pump for a few big reasons. They can't run dry or else you'll burn up the impeller. Also, they're quite loud. You may think thaat you can muffle the sound, but you'll still hear a whirring sound and it's constant. It WILL drive you nuts. I learned that from experience. Lastly, they are slow. Aerator pumps are at least twice as fast and totally silent.

Great points for the aerator pumps.

Do you think I would need them(check valve) for the drain lines if I "T" them together? This way one tank draining wont fill water into the other instead of going out of the boat.

when you mention the drain plug by the V-drive, are you planning to use that thru hull as a fill point for the ballast pump?

I was thinking the drain plug near the mid ship ballast.

If you check out this thread BALLAST, I added 2 pumps and 1080lbs of weight to my boat without drilling holes below the waterline. I am done with my project so if you wanna ask questions you can use that thread :)

JSP>> Your new system looks awesome. Thumbup.gif Thanks for documenting your installation. I know I will use it as a reference while doing my install. One concern that I have is drilling holes for the venting and draining of the sacks. How did you drill your holes? Dontknow.gif What did you do to prevent the gel coat from cracking? Dontknow.gif

Thanks,

Ronnie

JSP>> Your new system looks awesome. Thumbup.gif Thanks for documenting your installation. I know I will use it as a reference while doing my install. One concern that I have is drilling holes for the venting and draining of the sacks. How did you drill your holes? Dontknow.gif What did you do to prevent the gel coat from cracking? Dontknow.gif

Thanks,

Ronnie

I used a 1" bit (not sure what its called) but if I would have had one, I would have used a hole saw bit. This time I didn't so any taping off, I just ran the drill in reverse to get through the gel coat then drilled it. It was super easy, but the fiberglass dust is nasty to breath and makes a mess so be ready with your shop-vac. Like I said in my thread, if I were to do it again I would opt to not put in a vent line as there was hardly any air trapped in the sacks when full.