Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POP Sacs.....anyone using them?

here we go

Looking for a way to add weight to the boat. I have no Ballast system. I appreciate the info on the Fat Sacs in the thread I started below.

Someone mentioned these 2" thick flat bags (40lbs each) that you could put in the locker (rear, mid and front seats). Seems to me this would be the fastest way to add weight (and get rid of weight) instead waiting to fill and empty huge water bags. I know it would be a lot of carrying on and off the boat, when you don't want them on the boat, but the dockisn't far away, and I have a storage locker/Bin on the dock that I could transfer them to.....

I'm thinking this would be less bulky, and faster.

Anyone agree, or disagree? Share your experience if you would about these POP Bags.

Thanks!

After seeing them in stusumm's boat last summer I went out and bought some myself. They work great for all of the reasons stated above.

I run about 500+ lbs of them in my '06 VLX. Mostly in the nose and then a few to move side to side or front to back as people move around. It's nice just tossing a bag or two instead of asking people to move.

They're not bad, I don't take them out of my boat but usually move them from the front to the back because of the way our lift works. They're a good size/weight that you can move a few around at a time without too much effort but they still make a good impact.

on a side note, troy who supplies them is a super nice guy, got the wife and I out while on vacation this winter!

http://www.pop-products.com/

I use them. I keep several in the storage areas of my bow ( I don't have the front ballast) and I keep 2 on the left side of the boat to counterbalance my weight and then I use 5 others as I find the need. I really like them.

I run about 500+ lbs of them in my '06 VLX. Mostly in the nose and then a few to move side to side or front to back as people move around. It's nice just tossing a bag or two instead of asking people to move.

They're not bad, I don't take them out of my boat but usually move them from the front to the back because of the way our lift works. They're a good size/weight that you can move a few around at a time without too much effort but they still make a good impact.

on a side note, troy who supplies them is a super nice guy, got the wife and I out while on vacation this winter!

I am thinnking about getting some Pop bags for my '06 WS. Do you move them from the bow to the back before you retrive your boat on the trailer or do you just leave them in their prospective locations in the boat the whole time? I am thinking that with all that weight in the bow it could exceed the tounge and hitch capacity.

Edited by VLXRonnie

Cannot comment directly from experience, but since I am planning on maybe getting 400# worth...I would think moving them to the back or certainly just the center of the rear would help the weight dist. out quite a bit.

I plan to have at least 2 dry cell batteries under the observer seat, 3 amps and a sub all on that side...plus the observer...so I plan to put a couple hundred lbs behind the kickplate in front of the heater...just to keep things more even baseline before we start adding folks.

$375 for 400# seems like alot tho. Cry.gif

I am thinnking about getting some Pop bags for my '06 WS. Do you move them from the bow to the back before you retrive your boat on the trailer or do you just leave them alone? I am thinking that with all that weight in the bow it could exceed the tounge and hitch capacity.

I checked out the link....does $700 seem high for 800lbs to anyone else? Are there other products that aren't so costly that are pretty much the same idea?

Also, my driver (Dad / 63 years old) is concerned about the weight limit posted on the boat for max capacity. He says..."if you have 1000lbs in the back (wedge), and 800lbs of extra weight (bags of lead or sacs of water) and 6 people on the boat, aren't you pushing the safety limit?" He's afraid we'll sink......any help on this to set his mind at ease would be great.

How much weight can a 2005 21.5' Malibu LSV Diamond Hull handle?

Thanks!

Edited by here we go

I almost got 900lbs of free lead shot, but someone called before I did and picked them up Cry.gif There was an add in the local paper and a guy was just giving it all away to the first person who called. I was going to melt them down, pour them into casts, and the coat them in a rubberized bed liner/undercoating. I would love to have some lead/steel weight but I wouldn't want to trailer it around...especially with the price of gas!!!

I'll be getting a workout this year I have a feeling. Loading and unloading the lead bags. My dealer in town said it's too late to install a custom ballast system this season, suggested that it be done over the winter months.

So what about that weight limit thing?

How much weight can you carry safely?

I'm assuming these things don't have neutral buoyancy like water sacks do? They look nice and easy, but I'm not a big fan of putting stuff in my boat that could potentially drag it to the bottom.

I am thinnking about getting some Pop bags for my '06 WS. Do you move them from the bow to the back before you retrive your boat on the trailer or do you just leave them in their prospective locations in the boat the whole time? I am thinking that with all that weight in the bow it could exceed the tounge and hitch capacity.

I leave about 160 lbs up front all the time. My bow rides noticably lower than a buddy's VLX, which is what I wanted. I haven't noticed any problem getting the boat back on the trailer.

I checked out the link....does $700 seem high for 800lbs to anyone else? Are there other products that aren't so costly that are pretty much the same idea?

Also, my driver (Dad / 63 years old) is concerned about the weight limit posted on the boat for max capacity. He says..."if you have 1000lbs in the back (wedge), and 800lbs of extra weight (bags of lead or sacs of water) and 6 people on the boat, aren't you pushing the safety limit?" He's afraid we'll sink......any help on this to set his mind at ease would be great.

Thanks!

I paid $35/bag, so that seems about right.

You are not going to sink the boat, even with a hole in the hull.

Thanks!

I paid $35/bag, so that seems about right.

You are not going to sink the boat, even with a hole in the hull.

That's reassuring. Thumbup.gif

I leave about 160 lbs up front all the time. My bow rides noticably lower than a buddy's VLX, which is what I wanted. I haven't noticed any problem getting the boat back on the trailer.

Thanks...

VLXRonnie,

I don't trailer, in fact I don't own one. We live on the lake so we have a boat house with a crazy track system and a winch that pull the dolly/boat up the track into the garage/boathouse. I do move the weight to the back for a couple of reasons.

1. when driving around with empty ballast and 400-500lbs in the nose it tends to take water over the front a little too easily.

2. our dolly system sucks, so when the weight is in the front, it is ahead of the front wheels on the lift. If a wave comes by and picks up the back of the boat at all, it always pulls the dolly up just enough to let the back wheels fall off the track.

So yes, we move them from front to back when done riding and the other tanks are empty. It takes a whole 2 minutes. What I really love about them is that when you have extra people in the boat and they all sit down, you can just move 1 to 3 bags left, right, forward or back to even it out. No more, could you sit up there, or over there....that's so nice. Especially on cold days when being near the hot tubes is popular.

VLXRonnie,

I don't trailer, in fact I don't own one. We live on the lake so we have a boat house with a crazy track system and a winch that pull the dolly/boat up the track into the garage/boathouse. I do move the weight to the back for a couple of reasons.

1. when driving around with empty ballast and 400-500lbs in the nose it tends to take water over the front a little too easily.

2. our dolly system sucks, so when the weight is in the front, it is ahead of the front wheels on the lift. If a wave comes by and picks up the back of the boat at all, it always pulls the dolly up just enough to let the back wheels fall off the track.

Interesting point :)

So yes, we move them from front to back when done riding and the other tanks are empty. It takes a whole 2 minutes. What I really love about them is that when you have extra people in the boat and they all sit down, you can just move 1 to 3 bags left, right, forward or back to even it out. No more, could you sit up there, or over there....that's so nice. Especially on cold days when being near the hot tubes is popular.

A definite upside to the bags. Thanks for the information. : :thankyou: Now I just need to decide which way to go. I think I will probably do both. Use the integrated bow sack for the majority of the weight and get a few bags for wake balancing. At least that way I could hit a switch and drain the bow ballast. Now, I just need the time and $$ to buy both. Whew boats are expensive.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone with the POP Sacs tell me if they are waterproof, can they spill, do they rust and or are the bags Permenantly sealed?

First - the 1000# in the back doesn't count, as it is not actual weight placed there, just physics at work, or extra drag. As far as the factory ballast is concerned, I was told once that it's weight doesn not count towards the USCG rating at all - BICBW. Also, (again, this is just something I was told) your boat is full of air pockets and floatation foam that, in current less water with no wind would float at the gunnells with the weight that is on your sticker evenly distributed in the boat. This is where water weight (fat sacs) vs. lead comes into play. Once the fat sac is in the water, its weight is gone and doesn't count towards your capacity. The lead does maintain its weight in the water, so it does count towards your weight limit and could possible sink your boat.