Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A Few Random Thoughts

meb885

The long piece of my exhaust at the back of my motor box says "Silent Rider" now from what I've read on here thats not a stock option is it? I don't have turn down exhaust tips or anything special just the rubber flap doo-hickeys on the back.....

Does this mean my boat has an after market piece that makes it quieter then stock? i dont find it really all that much quieter persay....then again i guess i dont have a basis for comparison.

On another note....anyone from MI have a mostly blue wakesetter of some length.... that was parked in front of the B1 (Bachelor 1) in Keego Harbor MI On Tuesday? If so i saw your boat parked outside while i was giving mine a bath right down the street....literally the residential street that runs right accross form the B1

I went for my Part 2 Shakedown Cruise on Tuesday and after almost sinking everything was great.... my business partner had taken one of the hoses off the block to drain the water and barely tightened it back on.... idled out of the bay and gunned it.... 30 seconds later water began to spew out of my engine compartment.... i open the cover and see the bilge FULL and water spewing onto the carpet.....my 1st thought was the block cracked.....my 2nd was i didnt put in the bilge plug, then i cut the engine, the water stopped spewing, the bilge began to empty and i saw a hose missing off the block....put it back on, idled all the way back in, tightened the clamp...and it was smoooooooooth sailing from there.... i think the boats dry now....2 days later.

Anyone goin out on any of the area lakes tomorrow or saturday? i'll prob be on cass both days.

-Mark

Mark, Silent Rider is an option available from the factory.

Didn't know they were that advanced in 1994. guess the Echelon really was a top notch boat..... i find out new things every day about it. lol.

I've got them, too...so they were still an option in '02. Which reminds me of a story...

I went to the Malibu dealership because I was at a ramp one day helping a friend lauch a sailboat when a Sportster left the dock and the sound out of that exhaust was magical...

So at the dealership, they had a Sunsetter LXi, and on my test drive I was shown the Silent Riders. I told the salesman that if those were mufflers, they would have to come out or I wasn't buying the boat! I wanted that V8 growl.

He told me to listen to the boat first while I waited on the dock and he left, and if I still wanted them gone, they'd take them. The Silent Riders (not quite an appropriate name) are still on my boat.

Ironically, if I were to order a boat now, I'd get every sound surpression option available.

the silent rider doesn't seem to quiet the engine very much (or the growl is really loud without the silent rider).

Is there a replacement for the silent rider that will quiet the boat to cadillac quiet.?

the silent rider doesn't seem to quiet the engine very much (or the growl is really loud without the silent rider).

Is there a replacement for the silent rider that will quiet the boat to cadillac quiet.?

This may sound crazy to most people but I also want my boat to be quieter. I purchased every option that mentioned "silent" and it still has too much of a rumble for my neighbors on the lake that don't enjoy my early mornings sets.

Why do people buy lakefront houses and then complain about boat noise? :unsure:

Morons!!

My unmuffled Sporty is plenty quiet. Crazy.gif Just ask my wife. :lol:No.gif

Why do people buy lakefront houses and then complain about boat noise? :unsure:

Morons!!

There is always that group that can't understand that the lake is enjoyed by different people for different reasons. As respectful and courteous as I try to be there is always someone complaining about something over the course of a season. Not trying to brag but I can say with certainty that there are not a more courteous boat drivers on my lake than my group of family and friends. People have a hard time understanding that skiers crave the early morning butter. If the wind did not pick up typically in the late morning and if tubers did not churn up the water after 10:30 am, I would have little reason to start my sets at 6 am. I know that having a course on the lake has been a controversial issue. It has been completely cut down once and vadalized at least once. This despite the fact that the course is in a cove that does not have a single camp in it and easily meets and exceeds any govermental regulation that needs to be obeyed for a slalom course. I guess I could understand their complaining more if I was out there every morning (I wish) but normally early morning runs happen not more than once a week.

Well Michael, after listening to you for several years, the wife probably does think the Sporty is quiet. Whistling.gif

Slalom Frog, here is an insert for you to consider: inline silencer.

Also, you may be interested in the following thread. We are all waiting for some concrete results, but Jerry seems to have poured the concrete around his ankles. Too busy at work, yada, yada, yada. Silent Ride exhaust thread.

We are all waiting for some concrete results, but Jerry seems to have poured the concrete around his ankles. Too busy at work, yada, yada, yada. Silent Ride exhaust thread.

I was almost ready to begin, but now my chops are all busted, so I don't know when I'll be able to get there.

Baby.gif

Slalom Frog, here is an insert for you to consider: inline silencer.

Also, you may be interested in the following thread. We are all waiting for some concrete results, but Jerry seems to have poured the concrete around his ankles. Too busy at work, yada, yada, yada. Silent Ride exhaust thread.

Vin - do you have any experience with the Silencers? Does anyone? I will lift up the floor tonight to see how these would install, I am asuming you cut some of the exhaust line and splice in?

Under the motor cover, splice in exhaust hose enroute to mufflers. You may want to hold off on this until Jerry can get us some hard data on their effectiveness. He will get detailed before/after info as well as pics to help us along. All above kidding aside, he is going to do this, just a matter of when he can get to it.

Another source of info would be Peter, from Smooth Water Sports. He installed the STE inlines for one of his regular customers.

Well Michael, after listening to you for several years, the wife probably does think the Sporty is quiet. Whistling.gif
Several? :unsure: The poor woman's been putting up with me for 17 years. Crazy.gif (married for 15) Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

Another source of info would be Peter, from Smooth Water Sports. He installed the STE inlines for one of his regular customers.

Calling Peter....any comments worth sharing?

Under the motor cover, splice in exhaust hose enroute to mufflers. You may want to hold off on this until Jerry can get us some hard data on their effectiveness. He will get detailed before/after info as well as pics to help us along. All above kidding aside, he is going to do this, just a matter of when he can get to it.

Jack's right, I'm going to do this, but it might be July before I have the time to get all the before/after data I'd like.

I did just snap some pics this morning though:

post-60-1177084443_thumb.jpg

post-60-1177084465_thumb.jpg

Those likely do Jerry! (Someday GM will pay you enough to afford the good ones Tease2.gif )

Any stock boat we have has silent rider mufflers, STE exhaust tips, Inulsated motor box - and any customer concerned we can add foam blocks under the gunnel between rear seat and side hull to stop any "bass drum" effect resonating forward from the trunk or rear bilge area.

STE tips are available from the Factory, available from me, and STE inline silencers are also available from me. "Sunapee" is one of my customers that had those installed on his 2006 RLXi.

It's gotten busy for me, but feel free to email if someone has specific questions.

Thanks,

Peter

......and STE inline silencers are also available from me. "Sunapee" is one of my customers that had those installed on his 2006 RLXi.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter, any information if the inline silencers made much of a difference? That would be the only silencing option that my 06 RLXi does not have from the list that you mentioned.

Edited by Slalom Frog
Those likely do Jerry! (Someday GM will pay you enough to afford the good ones Tease2.gif )

If you are going to cut the sound level by 12dB, there's got to be something in there. Doesn't matter what the name on the outside is. The advertising claims aren't really any different than the STEs, so why not give it a try? Bottom line is that was a gamble I was willing to take for 1/2 the price. My plan is to get at least some in-use data (sound and performance) before and after to assess how good (or bad) they are. Worst case, I replace them with STEs and helped the Crew along the way. Best case? did it for half the cost (and helped the Crew even more).

You tweak my curiosity though Peter. Do you have pics of what the STEs look like inside by comparison?

Pasted from a letter from a customer that purchased STE tips, installed them on his RLXi with Hammerhead, and did a detailed analysis of the results.

For inquiring minds, 10 decibels less is accepted/perceived as 1/2 the sound level to the human ear.

Peter

Hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing xmas and new year. I spent xmas weekend installing the Hydro Power exhaust tips. Today I took the boat to the river and tested them out. Pretty good news really.

Before

9-25-05

2050 rpm

Air temp 72°

Water temp 68° (approx)

Noise level near drivers ear 92 dB

Noise at rear seat 102 dB

After

1-1-06

2050 rpm

Air temp 48°

Water temp 42° (approx)

Noise level near drivers ear 87 dB

Noise at rear seat 94 dB

The reduction in noise is significant. The numbers actually surprised me because the boat didn't seem that much quieter at first. Its probably one of those cases where you would have to be in one boat without the tips and then within minutes be in another boat with the tips to fully appreciate the difference. As we drove on and my wife and I talked, we did start to feel that the boat was quieter and it was easier to talk etc.

Notes:

- the motor used to growl loudly when decelerating from planing speed to neutral. This noise seemed to be quieter.

- at 3100 rpm the noise levels were the same as at 2050 rpm

- it was not a nice day, 10-15 mph winds and occasional rain. I don't think the wind was a factor in the noise measurements, which were the same running in either direction. We ran along the windward side of the river so the water was not rough.

Later this winter I plan to insulate the motor box and I'll send you the comparative readings.

The installation of the tips took me a while - I won't admit how long. There are six lag bolts on each side holding the rear lean back in place, two per side at the rear facing forward and four per side on the sides facing inward. I had to remove the side panels to get at them all. Swapping the tips out was the easiest part of the whole operation.

While I had everything open, I contemplated installing the Primex Silencers (Silent Riders). (Should have - Peter) I decided against it because I wanted to test the tips on their own. I have a feeling that the Primex Silencers are the same as the Primex mufflers I have with the addition of the cross vent tube. (Incorrect - Peter)

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted after the motor box insulation. It may be 3 months or so.

Best regards

Graham