Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

packing nut wrench will this work?

So I have to replace the packing on my drive shaft as I don't seem to be getting a few drips a sec I have a solid stream of water from the packing nut.

After looking around my drive shaft in my 93 Echelon I was wondering how I would even get a wench in there to replace the packing.

I did find this wrench on ebay and wanted to know if it is work the money or if I should just find a wrench in that big red tool box next to the bu?

Thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-Boat...1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a 1 7/8 open-box end wrench at a hardware store for $36.00 and cut it in half with a chop saw.

Doesn't say Malibu on it though.

You don't need much room. Once you break the locknut loose which takes less than a 1/16 of turn. Everything else can be done by hand. At least on my boat and the packing nut was not touched for 3 years. But I do spray a very small amount of penetrating oil on it annually. Use one wrench as a leverage point against the other to break the locknut loose.

edit; I use two wrenches to break the locknut free, the other going on and holding the packing nut.

Edited by electricjohn
Save your money, hit your local hardware store and buy one of these:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...hallpartial/0/0

Despite West Marine's "special" name, your local hardware store will call it a "slip nut wrench".

Mike

Thats whatnI use. But it aint blue and it don't say M BU on it and it works on foreign boats tooooo Crazy.gif

Shawn, have you tried adjusting it already?

No I have not touched it yet just took a look at it on Sunday for the 1st time.

You may not have to repack it. Someone else may be able to give you a more detailed description, but basically, loosen the lock nut, firm up the packing nut, retighten lock nut. Might save you an unnecessary PITA.

VinRLX,

Thanks for the pic, that helps me visualize what I need to do to adjust mine. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Jack,

Thanks for re posting the pic that is very helpful.

I will be getting out to the garage this weekend and I will get those tricks out of the attic and ready to ship.

Sorry for the delay just been slammed with work and spring projects.

Shawn

I've noticed mine leaks more at the beginning of the season, but less after a few outings.

I actually tightened mine too much the first time I ever took the boat at the beginning of the season.

Jack,

Thanks for re posting the pic that is very helpful.

I will be getting out to the garage this weekend and I will get those tricks out of the attic and ready to ship.

Sorry for the delay just been slammed with work and spring projects.

Shawn

Hope the info proves useful, particularly if you can just adjust and not repack.

No worries on the delay, whenever you can get to it.

Well I had to go take a look at it this afternoon.

The Jam nut was very lose like 2-3 complete turns from the packing nut.

How tight do I need the jam nut to be?

I have tried all of my tools and I can't get any of them to fit all to small. Off the store in the morning for wrench that will fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so my packing nut was running a very small stream of water not a drip so I loosened the jam nut which didn't take much and then tried to tighten the packing nut by hand but it wouldn't budge. So I retightened the jam nut but haven't had the chance to try it to see if it did any good I am assuming no. Did I do something wrong I thought you just tightened the packing nut by hand do you have to use a tool? The boat is only one season old and can't imagine it needs to be repacked. Thought, opinions...

post-1292-1179374337_thumb.jpg

Edited by NvBoarder

I bought 2 of the packing nut wrenches from West Marine. $12.00 each. And they work great no modifications for use on my VLX.

Although not specific to Bu's, THIS SITE has a very applicable, detailed step-by-step pictorial for anyone wanting to adjust or change the stuffing box. Although more difficult on a V-drive, it is not a hard DIY project. Two slip-nut or packing nut wrenches (actually the same wrench, just named differently whether you buy it at Home Depot or West Marine!) worked fine on my V-drive for ~$25 total. My bilge is so much happier now ;) !