Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry suit repair??

Willy

With all of the "new technology" these days has anybody tried to repair ripped dry suit seals with say,,, a tire repair kit or some sort of old inner tube with some sort of super duty glue?? I see there is some stuff called "aqua seal" and it says it works on rips?? I only use mine a couple of times each year and that is it. However, when I pulled it out this year one arm and one leg seal ripped. And oh by the way I need my suit this weekend and I just do not want to spend a bunch of money for a few outings. I don't know, It's just a thought.

Edited by Willy

It might be worth a try, but any rip in a seal that I've seen has 5 or 6 right behind it. Also is this a baggy style or the wet suit style? If its the baggy get new seals at a local drive shop, they should be able to fix it in a day if you ask them nice.

I bought new seals for mine in a diveshop. Then i put them on with bicycle-puncture-repair-glue. First i put a sodabottle through the arm for it to keep somewhat of a shape while gluing.

:-)

///V

You guys were right. I looked at it again this morning and the neck went into a gazillion pieces. I dont know, it is a barefoot Int. suit mfg. by oceantec. I can send it back to them and they will do all the seals for a hundred and like thirty bucks or so. I will however check a couple of dive shops around here. That is a pretty big activity here with all of the shipwrecks out in the great lakes. I found a pretty good deal on one of those "wet suit" type dry suits but I hate to let this suit go given that it looks like brand new!!

Thanks for all of the input!!!!!!!

You guys were right. I looked at it again this morning and the neck went into a gazillion pieces. I dont know, it is a barefoot Int. suit mfg. by oceantec. I can send it back to them and they will do all the seals for a hundred and like thirty bucks or so. I will however check a couple of dive shops around here. That is a pretty big activity here with all of the shipwrecks out in the great lakes. I found a pretty good deal on one of those "wet suit" type dry suits but I hate to let this suit go given that it looks like brand new!!

Thanks for all of the input!!!!!!!

I sent out my suit, Barefoot company...forget who the manufacturer was but they did an awsome job, replaced all the seals and it was like new.

I wouldnt try Mickey Mousing it.....ever see what happens when they fill up on you when your in the water ?

Had someones suit fill as he dropped off, by the time we came back to get him he weighed a ton.

Could barley get back into the boat.....was pretty funny though :)

John

You can get the seals, buy the glue and do it yourself. It takes lots of patience and a couple of correct sized balls to stretch the sleeves and neck to allow the seal to be placed on the suit. The removal of the glue is a bit of a challenge adn placing the seal is a one step critical application. Can be done, but it takes practice and the people that do it daily would be much better at it.

[hijack]what about Zipper replacement or repair? Mine has a kink in it where unzipping it can be a challenge. Have to use a pair or pliers to pinch the teeth that are out of which in order to get it to unzip.

I tried contacting the manufacturer, but no response as of yet, but it has only been a few days.

Edited by areamike

I have a few holes in my neck seal and I completely ripped one of the wrist seals. I contacted Bare and they are sending my new seals and glue. I believe the kit includes inserts for fitting the wrist seals but they said I will need a ball of appropriate size to fit the neck seal. I also have a couple of holes in the Nylon upper portion and they are sending a patch for this. I will let you know how it goes. But then again, I am using Ductape right now as a temp fix and it is keeping most of the water out.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of a good company to send a dry suit to get the seals replaced? My brother-in-law and I would like to get our suits repaired by replacing the rubber seals with neoprene. That way, they won't dry rot and have to be replaced. We are thinking of having them attach some wide velcro strips to the neoprene at the ankles and wrists to keep the water out.

Here are just a few I found doing a Google search:

Adrenaline Watersports

Superior Diving Repair

Dry Suits Plus

I'm replacing a neck seal as I type. I had all 5 seals replaced by Adrenaline a couple of years ago, there did a great job, but the seals just don't seam to hold up as well as the ones replaced by a local dive shop before they closed up. This is the second seal that has disintegrated on me during storage and yes I do store the suit properly.

Anyone know of a good company to send a dry suit to get the seals replaced? My brother-in-law and I would like to get our suits repaired by replacing the rubber seals with neoprene. That way, they won't dry rot and have to be replaced. We are thinking of having them attach some wide velcro strips to the neoprene at the ankles and wrists to keep the water out.

Here are just a few I found doing a Google search:

Adrenaline Watersports

Superior Diving Repair

Dry Suits Plus

I used Adrenaline Watersports to have my baggy type barefoot dry suit seals repaired. Did a great job. About $140.

martinarcher

Well I pulled mine out and the seals look fine, but a mouse got into it and chewed a hole in the crotch! Dontknow.gif Can you repair the material portions? It is a baggy style suit.