Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cost- Fat Sacs vs. Ballast System - 2005 21.5 LSV

here we go

Just learned how to wakeboard last year, but I have no factory Ballast system, just the factory lock down wedge. I'm trying to get weight for under $1000. (preferable under $500). I only ever have at most, the drive and spotter on the boat. I never used the wedge last year, the driver didn't like the bow being so high and said the handling sucked with it down....like dragging an anchor.

What can I do to get a nice wake? I feel comfortable on the board and need to get a nice wake. Any advice on sacs with pice........vs. Ballast installed (price). Please share your experiences.

I would go all out, but I have to do it in stages......just bought a cottage at the lake and a jet ski....so money's a bit tight, but I don't want to carry around sand and stuff like that.

Thanks!!

You could throw a 600# Fat Sac in the middle walk thru for CHEAP. That would offset the bow up of the wedge and still provide a good trackable wake for you to continue to learn on. Unless you have the option to add the belly tank, but doubtful. So yours is a Sunsetter, Diamond Hull then?

Hope this helps,

Just learned how to wakeboard last year, but I have no factory Ballast system, just the factory lock down wedge. I'm trying to get weight for under $1000. (preferable under $500). I only ever have at most, the drive and spotter on the boat. I never used the wedge last year, the driver didn't like the bow being so high and said the handling sucked with it down....like dragging an anchor.

What can I do to get a nice wake? I feel comfortable on the board and need to get a nice wake. Any advice on sacs with pice........vs. Ballast installed (price). Please share your experiences.

I would go all out, but I have to do it in stages......just bought a cottage at the lake and a jet ski....so money's a bit tight, but I don't want to carry around sand and stuff like that.

Thanks!!

I always put weight in the bow to counteract the wedge. If I am only going to fill one sac I usually put #600 in the bow; but if I decide to fill more, I'll put the tube sac (#350?) in the bow, #600 in the back and two side sacs (#250 ea) on the sides of the motor. Obviously I have a DD and a different hull than you so the wake characteristics will be different with different weighting configurations, but IMO weight in the bow is a must. The boat will plane off faster, handle a little better and the wake is better. If you use the wedge handling will always suffer to some degree.

Since I don't have a ballast system, it usually comes down to how much time I want to spend filling and emptying sacs.

You can easily buy 3 bags and 1-2 pumps for a couple hundred dollars. You would just manually fill and empty this summer and call it stage 1. Then over the winter, buy some more pumps and make it all automated and call it stage 2. That way you can spread the costs out over a long time.

You can easily buy 3 bags and 1-2 pumps for a couple hundred dollars. You would just manually fill and empty this summer and call it stage 1. Then over the winter, buy some more pumps and make it all automated and call it stage 2. That way you can spread the costs out over a long time.

Plus1.gifThumbup.gif

We use 'fat sacs', they were reasonably priced and you can find them online (I think Boardstop carries them) ...and then just add a few good friends! Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gifThumbup.gif

Plus1.gifThumbup.gif

Plus1.gifThumbup.gif

Plus1.gifThumbup.gif

Plus1.gif

See this thread:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=140681

You will definitely want some weight up front and/or midship if you are going to be using the wedge. I found that I could not use the wedge and my rear ballast tanks when I had my SS VLX (with the SV23D Diamond hull) or it would start to porpoise, unless I added a sac in the bow in addition to the midship ballast.

Thanks for the comments so far........does anyone have an idea what it could cost to have an automtic ballast system added?

If you do it yourself...

1. 3 fly high sacks Center sack 129.99V-drive sacks 199.99

2. 6 pumps 1200gph pumps 29.99 each

3. 100 ft. 1" braided PVC hose $50 or less

4. 3 on-off-on switches $5-$10 each

5. 75ft neg wire and 75ft. pos wire $30-$50

6. hose clamps, fittings, zip ties, electrical tape, masking tape,etc... $30

7. 3-6 thru-hull fittings (SS from Malibu $10 each)

Total cost

Low: $665

High: $730

I have probably forgot some things, or am off a little on my prices, but this should give you a decent idea of whats involved.

Thanks! I thought it might be in the $2-3K range. I may check out having it put in....

Don't forget, I that price is you doing all of your own work and labor.... Dontknow.gif

Thanks! I thought it might be in the $2-3K range. I may check out having it put in....

I had my dealer add an auto ballast system (two rear tanks and one midships) 4 years ago for $1000.