Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Converting the swim deck

Liquidroam

I currently have the Teak swim platform. After refinishing a couple of times and having it rather slick for the first month of the year, I decided to do something a little different.

I saw in some magazine a teak deck with rubber mat inserts. It really looked pretty cool.

Can anyone tell me where I can get some rubber with a Malibu name or the M in it to use for the inserts. I would like it to be 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick. I need enough to make a couple peices about 18" x 18", and a third 18" x 10".

Get you minds out of the gutter Crazy.gif any jokes about rubbers would be way to obvious and get 0s for creativity.

Thanks for the help.

Every year it starts to get warm and I have to mess with the boat so I sand and teak oil the deck. This way it looks rich all season. Before the last coat I rough the wood slightly with 80 grit sand paper. Okay so it's not real slick. I just want to inlay the rubber peices for the look.

I was looking at the Malibu site and it looks like they have the mats on the fiberglass platforms all I would need to do is to cut out the peices that I need. I am afraid to call the dealer because I am sure that they will quote me some price that'll make me sick.

No I am looking to inlay three peices. one on each side of the trap door, and one across the back. I tried to find the picture that I had seen but it is nowhere to be seen.

If done correctly the rubber matting wil stick up about 1 MM above the teak and look good as well as be functional. it combines old world and new.

I think I understand what you are talking about, and yes, that might look pretty cool if done with some artistic thought. What about something like this? It even has holes to let water drip through:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...06157_200306157

Also - what about an industrail rubber mat or floor mat that could be cut into peices? FYI a table saw with a good blade is great for cutting dense rubber.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...16137_200316137

Also - maybe thin rubber exercise mats, or interlocking flooring?

Put that Line -X stuff on it.

I had actually given this one some thought. If you had them just do the top (maybe inset just a little from the edges) you might be able to inlay a Malibu sticker under it before they spray it. I'm not sure how well it would work as far as it standing out, but it's an idea. They can do that stuff in just about every texture & sheen, so it might be the way to go. The Malibu mat is so thick that I'm not sure how good that would look cut up like you describe.

I think I am adding the picture correctly. I'll try to show a drawing of what I am planning. I

post-1454-1176903451_thumb.jpg

I plan to actually router out the section that I will place the mats. The depth I router out will be based on the thickness of the mat. Then I will glue the mats in with the yellow 3M contact cement. The mats will for all intents and purposes be flush with the rest of the platform.

Does anyone have a phone number for Malibu. Maybe I can talk them into sending me some mats that got messed up in production, or something. I used to have a number for them but lost it.

If you want a traction mat in there, I would suggest one of these. They are all good, and are a common add-on for pwc's. About the only difference is the look you want. You might even be able to get a color that complements the boat. They are all available in just black too. And they glue in good with DAP contact adhesive. Although I've never glued them to wood.

Hydroturf

Gator Grip

Now I only have personal experience with jettrim, but I don't see mats on their site anymore so maybe they quit making them. Might be worth a call though.

Jettrim

I suspect that routing out teak might be challenging. I actually haven't tried, but I hear it is really tough stuff, and will dull the bit quickly.

Sure seems like a lot of work to me, you'll still have to maintain the teak, which will be more difficult since you'll be working around the rubber parts.. and unless you're confident in your skilllllllz with the rubber and wood, has a high probably of looking clugy

It is an interesting idea - I say work on your teak maintence skills - it shouldn't be slippery (you shouldn't need to sand it between coats- I suspect that is the issue) or look into a fiberglass platform.

If you want a traction mat in there, I would suggest one of these. They are all good, and are a common add-on for pwc's. About the only difference is the look you want. You might even be able to get a color that complements the boat. They are all available in just black too. And they glue in good with DAP contact adhesive. Although I've never glued them to wood.

Hydroturf

Gator Grip

Now I only have personal experience with jettrim, but I don't see mats on their site anymore so maybe they quit making them. Might be worth a call though.

Jettrim

This is great. I called all three and am going with Hydro Turf. They are sendine some samples of four different materials I'll chose from them and get started.

I suspect that routing out teak might be challenging. I actually haven't tried, but I hear it is really tough stuff, and will dull the bit quickly.

Sure seems like a lot of work to me, you'll still have to maintain the teak, which will be more difficult since you'll be working around the rubber parts.. and unless you're confident in your skilllllllz with the rubber and wood, has a high probably of looking clugy

It is an interesting idea - I say work on your teak maintence skills - it shouldn't be slippery (you shouldn't need to sand it between coats- I suspect that is the issue) or look into a fiberglass platform.

Actually it's all about measuring twice and cutting once. The instalation of the pads will be about a 4 hour job. The tools make a big difference as well. Bosch router and carbide tip bits. As far as the teak, when ever working with this dense of wood take small bites so as not to burn the wood.

I'll post pics in a couple weeks and you can can be the judge.

Hydroturf

Gator Grip

Jettrim

This is great. I called all three and am going with Hydro Turf. They are sendine some samples of four different materials I'll chose from them and get started.

hold on now dont go in to quick. what about this idea? intead of useing three large pieces that will look out of place how about you use six pieces on each side of the wedge hatch that are only about an inch wide and go from just about the edge of the teak to about threeinches from the hatch. You would group them in pairs. since there are three teak boards you would inlay a pair on each board giving you six strips on each side.

Edited by relentless

ya what Beau said^. instead of sanding; use a teak cleaner and scrub the deck with a brass or steel bristle brush. that will remove all of the old oil and raise the wood grain. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Then oil. Do Not Sand inbetween and it will have traction when dry.

ya what Beau said^. instead of sanding; use a teak cleaner and scrub the deck with a brass or steel bristle brush. that will remove all of the old oil and raise the wood grain. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Then oil. Do Not Sand inbetween and it will have traction when dry.

To those of you who have been rebukeing me for sanding the platform I must humbley admit you are correct on this issue. I worked with a better cleaner and the course steel wool was briliant.

Looks like you're going with Hydroturf, but there was a thread awhile back that mentioned the below link as the mat used by Malibu. There have been reported problems with some of the mats tracking black residue into the boats though.

http://www.sanosports.com/

I called and ordered samples from both caompanies. I will get them nest week.

There has been some great advice here and the cleaner with the steal wool was brilant last night.

I am still going to inlat a set of mats. I am not sure wether they will be large inlays or many smaller ones into each board. I am going to have one of my engineers do some cad drawing to see what I like. Maybe play in photo shop to.

Come back in a couple weeks for pictures.

To those of you who have been rebukeing me for sanding the platform I must humbley admit you are correct on this issue. I worked with a better cleaner and the course steel wool was briliant.

You can always depend on this site to trash your ideas Tongue.gifTongue.gifThumbup.gif