Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone added a lockable latch to the observers stow area (i.e. amps)?

Bill W

I'm looking to add a locked latch or another securing method to the observers stow area on my 2002 VLX. We are waterfront and are away from the lake during teh week most of the time. The boat will stay on a covered lift. I'm working on a number of stereo upgrades and am very concerned about the security of the amps, etc.

I'm also seriously considering changing the sub from it's planned location in the driver's kickpanel to the observers area for the same reason.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or done this type of mod already. I hate reinventing the wheel if it isn't necassary...

Very good point! I have had the same thought...although mine is pulled out after each use and in a closed/secure storage building. However, now with around $2500 in stereo equipment, I have thought about putting a perko lock like is on the rear lockers. All you would really have to do is put a phlange like is on the rears. Trouble is that the observer SEAT is easily removable, so all they would have to do is rip the latch open from below.

Watching this thread...

I'm looking to add a locked latch or another securing method to the observers stow area on my 2002 VLX. We are waterfront and are away from the lake during teh week most of the time. The boat will stay on a covered lift. I'm working on a number of stereo upgrades and am very concerned about the security of the amps, etc.

I'm also seriously considering changing the sub from it's planned location in the driver's kickpanel to the observers area for the same reason.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or done this type of mod already. I hate reinventing the wheel if it isn't necassary...

Get an alarm with some pin sensors, shock sensor, motion sensor, and a tilt sensor. That should take care of it, well unless you keep your boat stored at some storage place or something and then there isn't much you can do besides removing it before someone else does.

Yeah...if you put a lock on it they will just rip it out causing more damage. They don't make a lock that could keep thieves from getting to their intended target.

Locking it is a good idea, but if someone is already in your boat with other than honorable intension's they won't be leaving empty handed.

On the other hand if it gives you peace of mind why not.

Get an alarm with some pin sensors, shock sensor, motion sensor, and a tilt sensor. That should take care of it, well unless you keep your boat stored at some storage place or something and then there isn't much you can do besides removing it before someone else does.

Thats what I did after my boat was stripped of my equipment. I also have a vibration sensor that will go off when the boat is walked in. It cost me about $300 and for another $300 or so you can get the type of alarm that will page you when it goes off. The only problem with the page system is that you have to be within a mile or so.

Yeah...if you put a lock on it they will just rip it out causing more damage. They don't make a lock that could keep thieves from getting to their intended target.

that is a very true statment. if crooks can rob a bank they can get into any part of your boat that they want to. Biggrin.gif

True and many good points here so far. What I'm after here is workign with the fact that most (over 90%) of 'common crime' is crime of opportunity (e.g - doors on your car aren't locked with valueables left in plain sight). Understanding that statistic, if I can make it 'more difficult' to get my stuff, I would certainly like to do that.

I've read the threads on the pagers, etc and good info though not a viable solution for me because the lake is about 200 miles away... at least I would know that I was being ripped-off! Guns.gif .

IF somehow I could rig the alarm system to page another system, that sends me an email, that converts the email to a text message and sends it to me on my cell.... then I'd know something was amiss... Tease.gif but couldn't really domuch about it, local township has rent-a-cops at best (no offense intended to genuine police folks who I'm very big fans of...)

I realize I could pull the boat every weekend as well however my auto certainly ins't equiped to do very well with a 1 ton+ water vehicle attached to it. ;) It does much better in the area of getting us to the lake effeciently than hauling...

So back to the lock idea, knowing that in theory, it is just an addiitonal inconvienance for a common/opportunity crime...

Anybody do this or have seen it done?

If *I* were attempted such, I would get the exact latch on the lockers and fix a tab on the compartment opening. The touchy part, obviously would be taking a hole saw to the door. Dontknow.gif

So back to the lock idea, knowing that in theory, it is just an addiitonal inconvienance for a common/opportunity crime...

Anybody do this or have seen it done?

i have never seen it done, but I will throw out an idea.

You will need a long metal bar or some other kind of non stretch thingy.

If the bar has a "T" shaped end it could slip into a slotted bracket on the back of the observer seat, the bar would run thru a hole you drill in the fiberglass under the seat in the open bow area and be locked with a padlock.

When someone tries to open the compartment, there would not be any give, hopefully giving the impression the area is sealed. As far as the seat portion you could easily use a small turnbuckle or 2 to secure it. Tighten the turnbuckles before you lock the compartment door to give you arms reach access to the turnbuckle.

It is not something you would want to do every day, but once a week would be easy.

I think it would be just as effective to mount the amps securely and use torx fasteners or another theft resistant fastener type. If they can't easily remove the screws with a common screw driver they will either give up, or rip it out like they would with a locked door panel.

http://www.tamperproof.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products

I think it would be just as effective to mount the amps securely and use torx fasteners or another theft resistant fastener type. If they can't easily remove the screws with a common screw driver they will either give up, or rip it out like they would with a locked door panel.

http://www.tamperproof.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products

the difference is the casual thief won't necessarily rip open a locked door, but a thief recognizing quality stereo equipment might go the extra mile to obtain them.

another simpler idea would be to use servo's to lock and unlock a latch on the inside of the panel.

The key is to deter them before they get that far. Any of the other crap about rigging up some sort of tension device is just going to piss the thief off and more stuff will probably get damaged in the process. Let's face it surely stealing isn't an easy task period. My opinion is once they are in your boat there is nothing that is going ot stop them. Maybe if your boat is parked in your driveway in front of your house you might have a chance. In storage facility, or another like place you don't have a chance if your boat is targeted. Stereo thieves are getting savvy to the high end boat market, especially wakeboats with tower speakers etc.. It's a dead giveaway. I think if a person doesn't want to istall a deterent device with a very loud horn/siren, it doesn't matter if the boat is in a storage yard what thief would want to be in a boat stealing a stereo when an alarm is going off in their ear and they can't hear anything else going on, or anyone coming.

The ideas are certainly giving me things to consider. Please keep them coming, I think the discussion is as good for future reference as anything else. It's probably safe to say that this isn't the last time someone will be looking for information on the topic.

A agree regarding trying to prevent it in the first place. But there are multiple types of thieves and crime, etc. The high end, organized thieves are going to get the stuff, let's just assume that from the get go. With my specific situation there is only so much to do while making the choice of putting a decent "read desirable" system on my boat to begin with.

I certainly don't want to make it easy money for anyone though. And it is not like the lake is crime ridden by any stretch. BUT we do know this type of stuff happens, we read about it every year on the forums. Given I would feel better if we were there more often (lakefront, all week, every week during boating season, you kidding! Of course I'd like to be there more... but again not an option for us at this time, ask me again in about 25-30 years... :)

Anyway - so I'm going with the route of making it very time-consuming and additional work if they are going to get this stuff. Trying to provide, within reason, multiple dis-incentives to take my stuff, let them check out some of the other boats for their "free stuff" :(

I have been reading up on the security screws and the big myth is that they are "secure". Most decent hardware stores (including Sears - search Sears.com "security scr3wdriver") sell and multi-bit security set that includes most or all of these types of fasteners. So will they deter from someone walking off with your stuff, yes probably at least temporarily. Will they stop someone with a screw driver and intent... maybe? But they won't deter a half-witted criminal (or just one with access to the Internet) who has a clue about these fasteners... :(

Fake walls have also been suggested to me, so if the thieves don't see that there is anything to steal, maybe there isn't...

Also - biggest reason I'm not getting tower lights or speakers, calls too much attention to the type of audio equipment on the boat...

And I thought everyone who trailers every weekend just didn't want the extra mortgage payments Crazy.gif come to learn it's primarily because they can put all of the cool things they WANT on their boats and then store them securely all week. Whistling.gif

Edited by Bill W

I especially like the Opsit screw they have available...I believe it would confound nearly any thief, provided they don't have a crow bar. Then they would just destroy their loot though. Using those would be cheap insurance and another level of deterence even if you did work an extra lock.

MalibuNation
Fake walls = overheated amps.

I was thinking of doing this and making it easy to remove when in tow and the stereo was on.

I know the more permanent you make the fake wall the more apt it is to fool the crook. Would always need to have access to the amp in case something goes wrong. Thanks

How come you aren't afraid of them just stealing your boat? If you're this concerned about someone stealing your amps.. seems like you've got a bigger problem.

How come you aren't afraid of them just stealing your boat? If you're this concerned about someone stealing your amps.. seems like you've got a bigger problem.

True and good point. Figuring that amps, HUs and speakers are "smaller" scale crime vs the commitment of taking ths whole thing...

Also - insurance deductibles come into play big with a few missing amps vs the whole boat disappearing.