Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BI Boom for LSV?

stork

I am considering purchasing the BI Deluxe Quad V-drive Boom to help my children and their young friends get up on skiis and a wakeboard. I understand that it is a great aid for their confidence and helps in teaching them how to get up. Does anyone have any experience with one on an LSV? Does it work with the Malibu rotating ski pylon? Is it sturdy? Is it easy to use, or is it a pain to get out and connect? Is it a worthwhile purchase or do you find it just sits in a corner gathering dust? Which extension would you recommend?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance for the advice.

I don't have any experience with the vdrive boom, but I've looked into it. Here's the way I look at it:

1. If you buy one, you almost certainly will have to buy the extension to get the person farther out from the spray. = more $$

2. The clamp. On DD boats, you can just leave the clamp in place & break the boom out when you want to use it. This is handy because it takes a bit of time to get a clamp set up just so. On our vdrives with the collapsible pylon, this point is a problem. Do you leave the clamp on & negate the function of collapsing the pylon? It may be a minor point to some, but for others it will be in the way most of the time. If you don't leave it on, then setting up the boom will be more trouble each time. I don't see a good way around this one.

3. With our Illusion X towers, I've been told by Mike Seipel that the boom will work with it but the angle may be a little off to clear the tower base. This is an unknown in that I don't know how far off the angle will be & what problems that presents.

Because of all of this, I'm not forking out the money until I can find a place that will let me put one on my boat first to see how it will actually work. It's a big investment to not have it work right IMO.