Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Moved On Trailer

Hi Crew!

Okay, we took out of '00 Sunsetter LXi for the very first time last Friday. It was planned as a troubleshooting outting, with our goal being to work out any bugs, and basically start learning the ins-&-outs of boating (we are complete virgins to boating). Things actually went very well. The tow to the site was smooth, as was the launch. The Monsoon fired right up once in the water, and we were off and boating. I quickly learned that navigating a direct drive vessel at idle speed is a LOT harder than I predicted! Anyway, the day was gorgeous and we were out for about 4 hours. GREAT time for the family. The docking went okay, as did retrieving the boat.

On the ramp, I had the boat winched up against the bow stop. I pulled her out, strapped down the two stern straps, pulled the plugs and wiped her down. Double checked the lights of the trailer were working, as well as the two stern straps and the bow winch line. All the lights were working and the straps were all TIGHT. Off we went (30 mile trek home).

Once home, I found the bow was no longer up against the bow stop and the bow winch line had a bit of slack in it (surprising, since the boat obviously moved backwards, and I would not expect there to be any slack). It gets worse though... I checked the stern straps and found the also had slack in them (again, odd, as I would have expected them to have actually tightened, if anything).

So couple of questions to you seasoned folks...

1) What happened?! How did out boat manage to slip astern?

2) Thought I have re-snugged all the straps, should I have any concerns about towing the boat with it sitting back away from the bow stop? Will I damage my boat?

Thanks so much for any help!

-kenny

Sounds like you didn't quite have it up against the bow stop and she slid forward a bit.

Kind of strange. I have never had my boat budge an inch on the trailer.

Oh, welcome to the Crew and boating in general. You've got an awesome first boat. Kind of like a 16 year old getting a Vette for his first ride. Clap.gif

All trailers fit the boat just a tad different. It's really, really tough to get my RLXi all the way forward (and stay there) on the the Boatmate trailer when pulling the boat out. I normally just drive it up about all the way, pull the boat out, dry it off, etc. Before heading home, I'll get going about 10mph, hit the brakes pretty hard on the truck, slide the boat fwd a couple inches. Secure the tie downs and head home...

BTW - this is the 5th boat I've personally owned and the first one that didn't stay firm against the trailer bow stop when pulling it out.

Edited by edwin

First, one of the things I always do is attach a strap at the front, pulling the bow DOWN towards the main center support of the trailer. Why, you ask? many years ago..... several boats ago..... I had to make an emergency maneuver on the highway that caused me to hit the gravel fairly fast. The boat bounced on the trailer. Unfortunately, it bounced UPWARDS, freed itself from the front V-shaped guide, and slammed down BESIDE the V-guide, gouging itself on the outer etal part of the guide.

Also..... imagine an emergency stop. Like a panic stop..... or your tow vehicle rear-ends another vehicle at a stop sign. What is stopping the boat from riding up and over the v-guide and running through your back window?

Re your situation: Pictures might help us. When you snug the bow into the V-Guide, what angle are the rear straps? Are they straight up.... tilting forward..... or tilting backwards.

Did you have the ratchet feature engaged in the winch?

Regardless, welcome to Malibu ownership! And the Sunsetter LXi was (and still is)one of their best all-round boats.

The boat is now (after moving back) about an inch back/off the bow stop. The stern straps attach at the trailer, and extend up and back to the stern of the boat. Thats what makes this all so confusing to me. The boat WAS up against the bow stop with a tight bow strap. The rear straps were orientated as mentioned, and also tight. I don't understand how the boat could 1) move backwards; and 2) do so, and then actually have SLACK in all the straps. I would expect no rearward movement, and only tightening of the straps, if anything. Ugh!!!

I'm learning so much from this site, its incredible. Looking forward to hooking up with some Crew members soon, and learning more the hands-on way!

Thanks so much,

-Kenny

Ps. My 10-year-old son got in the water last Friday and did some knee boarding. First time for him, and his smile made me realize buying this boat was definitely the best thing I could do for family bonding and fun!!!

I guess it's possible that the boat was not sitting on the bunks correctly as you were pulling up the ramp. If you cinched everything down while one of the chines was sitting up on the bunk, it probably settled correctly onto the bunk on the first bump allowing everything to loosen up. Dontknow.gif

Maybe the locking mechanism in the winch on the front is going bad and is loosing up while driving? Our boat has never moved on the trailer and we only use the rear tie-downs if we are going out of town.

I guess it's possible that the boat was not sitting on the bunks correctly as you were pulling up the ramp. If you cinched everything down while one of the chines was sitting up on the bunk, it probably settled correctly onto the bunk on the first bump allowing everything to loosen up. Dontknow.gif

This is what I was going to say Plus1.gif

I think that maybe the winch straps, front and two rear, may not have been wound tight on their spools. This in combination with the boat moving a little, the straps being wet and the boat shifting a little is probly what happened. Bet ti doesn't happen again.

My thought as well.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new ride!!! Spending the day on the water with the kids...can't get any better then that!!! I'm sure this isn't the case however, I have seen people on the launch do this before...did you have the boat completely out of the water??? Sometimes people will tie the boat down before they get COMPLETELY out of the water due to a bumpy launch. If not, I agree with Doug and Ronnie...I have a tie down that goes from the front eye straight down to the trailer which pulls the boat down against the bow stop. If the boat was sitting on one of it's chines that would make everything tight till that first good bump. Good Luck.

You will want to look at the geometry of the rear straps to make sure that the forward sitting position is where they are at their shortest. Also, when you tied the boat down it was at an angle, when on the highway that angle was slightly different, which means the boat may have rocked slightly on the trailer and thus the rear eyelets actually dropped relative to the rear bunks allowing some slack. Wet bunks allow the boat to slide, as the friction is lower. The other item is a slight side to side movement would also affect the height of the boat and the rear eyelets on the trailer. The hard hit on the brakes is a good trick to make sure the boat is fully forward on the trailer. The front roller might also need to be moved slightly to put it in the best spot relative to where the boat needs to sit, it should be adjustable. As posted, when you tie the boat down, make sure the transom is centered before you head down the highway, as it is easy to adjust on the ramp, not so on dry land. Have lots of fun with the new boat.

I always get slight movement of the boat on the trailer after towing home and I don't have half the distance you have to cover to get back home. Getting some slippage within the front tow strap belt assembly is normal due to the tension it's under especially if it only went back an inch which is common for me as well. The rear straps aren't going to give you any horizontal stability. They are strictly for vertical control of the stern and some side to side. Depending on the style of rear straps you have, you will also get some slippage as well from increased tension. What has happened to you isn't that big of a deal at all and I would even say normal.

I always get slight movement of the boat on the trailer after towing home and I don't have half the distance you have to cover to get back home. Getting some slippage within the front tow strap belt assembly is normal due to the tension it's under especially if it only went back an inch which is common for me as well. The rear straps aren't going to give you any horizontal stability. They are strictly for vertical control of the stern and some side to side. Depending on the style of rear straps you have, you will also get some slippage as well from increased tension. What has happened to you isn't that big of a deal at all and I would even say normal.

Plus1.gif

Also, sometimes the angle of the ramp will set the boat close to the bow support, but after you pull the boat out, it actually moves off the bow support at that time. We sometimes will just hit the brakes real hard to get it set up against the support and then take the tension out of the strap.

Also, one more reason to use the safety strap on the bow.

With the cantilevered trunk of the SLXi putting the boat's tie down hooks 12-18" beyond the end of the trailer, thereby meaning that the rear tie downs exert pressure in a forward direction, it's unlikely that that boat actually moved back on the trailer even if the winch did slip.

I think Ronnie may be correct and one of the hull chines was resting on a bunk at the time you cinched down all the straps. When the boat settled properly onto the trailer (moved down) it created slack at the bow and stern.

I always check that the boat is centered on the trailer before leaving the ramp and generally drive though the parking lot / to the wipe down area before putting on the rear tie-downs, giving the boat a chance to settle onto the wet bunks.

All trailers fit the boat just a tad different. It's really, really tough to get my RLXi all the way forward (and stay there) on the the Boatmate trailer when pulling the boat out. I normally just drive it up about all the way, pull the boat out, dry it off, etc. Before heading home, I'll get going about 10mph, hit the brakes pretty hard on the truck, slide the boat fwd a couple inches. Secure the tie downs and head home...

BTW - this is the 5th boat I've personally owned and the first one that didn't stay firm against the trailer bow stop when pulling it out.

Plus1.gif

BAXMAN - Welcome to the site!

As has been said, the boat probably wasn't seated on the trailer correctly, that's my vote too.

I'll also throw my $.02 in about the chain at the bow. This is really important.

With the type of boat you have I'll assume you're a stick man. If you're ever tempted to try wakeboarding or surfing, drop me a line.

I always stop after a short 5 to 10 mile ride and double check the straps. Being we don't really winch our boats onto the trailer, the winch is not real taunt and the bouncing and vibration of travel can pull on that looseness on the winch, slacking it up. Your back straps will let the boat move a bit because the are almost perpendicular to the direction of travel the boat takes on the trailer. Maybe also your bunks are over lubed, letting the boat slide a bit. I notice that first time I used Liquid Rollers. Enjoy your boat and kids, because, boy they get old fast. My daughters (in avitar) are starting to loose interest a bit.