Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Wakes

Romi

There are a lot of people who ask how to weight down the bu. How do you weigh your boat and what is the result?

Boat: 05 LSV WS

Wedge Down

750 bag in locker (filled about 90%)

750 bag in center (filled about 90%)

500 bag in front (filled about 90%)

200 MLS Rear (the side of the wake)

500 MLS Center

350 MLS Front

800 lbs of passangers

post-132-1176760353_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• UWSkier

• DizzyG

• db252

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at the Wake Quality and Clarity of the water!!! Rockon.gifDrool.gifRockon.gif

Almost perfect - no rider out there surfing that beautiful thang.
My turn:

Boat: '06 VLX (wake hull)
Wedge down
200 Rear MLS (surf side)
500 Center MLS
350 Bow MLS
750 in rear trunk (surf side)
500 on surf side seat in cabin
4 people (average size)
Speed was 10.4mph IIRC

nice. :yahoo::thumbup::biggrin:

Boat: 96 Sunsetter Direct Drive

Wedge down

440 side of engine (surf side)

440 behind engine

350 ski locker

200 lead in ski locker

200 lead in front storage on surf side

2 people

2100rpm (around 9mph i think?) Dontknow.gif

post-1604-1176770146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Souperfly
Wow, You all have me worried now. I was hoping I would be able to get away with being stock for surfing.

You probably will, but the difference is that the weight makes the wave bigger & longer. That makes it easier to do more things on it, as well as easier to just stay on the wave.

I hope to be out on the water soon to see how my new setup looks soon. So I'm just going to hold off on posting pics of my old wake, but can tell you I have had water flowing over the front tower leg and onto my windshield.

I hope to be out on the water soon to see how my new setup looks soon. So I'm just going to hold off on posting pics of my old wake, but can tell you I have had water flowing over the front tower leg and onto my windshield.

Yhea, keep braggin'... I still haven't seen pics of that epic day, but have heard legends of the massive tsunami.

Here's our setup

"05 VLX

Wedge down

surf side rear tank full

750 lb sac in rear locker on surf side

250 lb sac on seat of surf side

250 lb sac in walk way

center stock tank full

4-6 people on seated on surf side

post-368-1176790042_thumb.jpg

ok.. so i just got a new wake surf and my new 07 VLX. all i have is the full factory ballast including the front and a power wedge. so my question is how should i have the ballast set and where should the wedge be. thanks.

Biggrin.gif

Similar question to Mike's but a little different.

I also just got a wake surf board, but have an '01 VLX without the wedge....

I have two Pro X 750 lb sacs that I put in the lockers, a 1,000 bow sac and the 500 lb center MLS.

I was planning to fill one of the lockers with the 750, and then stack the second 750 on top of that and fill as much as I can without worry of it falling out. But, now reading this post am thinking that I might just place the other 750 on the floor.

Questions:

Should I stack the 750's to get 1,000 to 1,200 lbs in the locker, or get the full 1,500 out of them with one on the floor?

Will not having a wedge be an issue?

Should I load up the bow sac or is it better to have all the weight in the back of the boat for surfing?

We are looking forward to giving this wake surfer a go this weekend, so any experience that would keep it from going awry up front would be great.

Thx, Mook

ok.. so i just got a new wake surf and my new 07 VLX. all i have is the full factory ballast including the front and a power wedge. so my question is how should i have the ballast set and where should the wedge be. thanks.

Biggrin.gif

All tanks full except for the rear side you are NOT surfing on. Put your wedge down all the way, set the speed for 10mph, move everyone you have in the boat to the surf side, look at the wake, just barely tap the power wedge button up and/or mess with your speed until you like what you see. You'll need to get fat sacs if you want a wave that you can really work around on without holding onto a rope.

I have two Pro X 750 lb sacs that I put in the lockers, a 1,000 bow sac and the 500 lb center MLS.

I was planning to fill one of the lockers with the 750, and then stack the second 750 on top of that and fill as much as I can without worry of it falling out. But, now reading this post am thinking that I might just place the other 750 on the floor.

Questions:

Should I stack the 750's to get 1,000 to 1,200 lbs in the locker, or get the full 1,500 out of them with one on the floor?

Should I load up the bow sac or is it better to have all the weight in the back of the boat for surfing?

We are looking forward to giving this wake surfer a go this weekend, so any experience that would keep it from going awry up front would be great.

Thx, Mook

To start with, some people here have the wedge and still don't use it for surfing so it shouldn't be a big concern for you. I would not stack the two 750#'s on top of each other. You might want to try to lay the second one on the seats to the side you are riding to enhance the weight more to that side and get all the beneficial weight of that sac since you won't be able to fill it very much on top of the other one. You definately want your bow sack filled as well but maybe not with a 1000#'s.....try 500#'s or your best guess close to that. Placing all the weight in the back of the boat with no bow weight will give a very short wave that is peaky and not much fun. Try to think of adding weight to your boat as a sliding scale. Your gonna always want more weight in the back and obviously to the side you are riding but as weight is added from rear to forward, it should be reduced by about 20% respectively. Does that make sense?

Yhea, keep braggin'... I still haven't seen pics of that epic day, but have heard legends of the massive tsunami.

A couple of weeks ago at Folsom he did have water lapping up at the tower base... Crazy.gif

Questions:

Thx, Mook

To start with, some people here have the wedge and still don't use it for surfing so it shouldn't be a big concern for you. I would not stack the two 750#'s on top of each other. You might want to try to lay the second one on the seats to the side you are riding to enhance the weight more to that side and get all the beneficial weight of that sac since you won't be able to fill it very much on top of the other one. You definately want your bow sack filled as well but maybe not with a 1000#'s.....try 500#'s or your best guess close to that. Placing all the weight in the back of the boat with no bow weight will give a very short wave that is peaky and not much fun. Try to think of adding weight to your boat as a sliding scale. Your gonna always want more weight in the back and obviously to the side you are riding but as weight is added from rear to forward, it should be reduced by about 20% respectively. Does that make sense?

I don't agree with that part. If we don't put the wedge down, there is a noticeable difference in the wave - both in the size & the push, or rather the lack thereof when it's up. And it's been that way with both boats that we've owned since getting into surfing. I suppose that it could be the difference in how we weight our boat, since we go for a more evenly weighted approach. Some people like to stack all of the weight on the back corner & that makes a bigger, peakier wave but it won't be as long as it is when you spread that weight out up through the boat. I tend to like the longer waves that our approach creates, but that's just my preference.

Tracie,

In regards to the part you don't agree on, he doesn't have a wedge so he's outta luck there and some have posted that they don't use their wedge even though they have one when they surf. I myself have one and use it every time just like you do and agree that it is very beneficial. I was only trying to give him the idea that what he has to work with is very much possible.

Tracie,

In regards to the part you don't agree on, he doesn't have a wedge so he's outta luck there and some have posted that they don't use their wedge even though they have one when they surf. I myself have one and use it every time just like you do and agree that it is very beneficial. I was only trying to give him the idea that what he has to work with is very much possible.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'd be curious to know that out of those that don't use the wedge & don't like how it affects the wave, what their setup is & what exactly it does.

Challeging the normal thinking here. Prefaced by the fact that I know little about wakesurfing. What would happen if you weight a boat on the surf side and drive in an arc towards the non surf side? Just wondering. Surely someone here has tried it.

It washes out, pulls the wave down. Now if you drive in an arc to the surf side, that can really make the wave big & steep. I don't do that too often though, mainly because it makes it hard for other boaters to know where you're going.

Questions:

Thx, Mook

It does make sense. Thanks for the suggestions.

I will give it a whirl this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I don't have the wedge, so not an option, but we bought a bigger board so hoping that will make up for some of the "wake envy".

We'll see.

Mook

Biggrin.gif

All tanks full except for the rear side you are NOT surfing on. Put your wedge down all the way, set the speed for 10mph, move everyone you have in the boat to the surf side, look at the wake, just barely tap the power wedge button up and/or mess with your speed until you like what you see. You'll need to get fat sacs if you want a wave that you can really work around on without holding onto a rope.

thanks, i am getting my boat back from the 10hour service and i will be going out and try out the surf this weekend. Biggrin.gifClap.gif

Just tried surfing last summer and really like it but I'm really into slalom. My boat is a '99 Response LX with wedge. Does anyone have advice on setting it up for surfing or is it not worth the hassle. Wake surfing is the perfect compliment to slalom since the conditon of the water doesn't matter.

Deke

Just tried surfing last summer and really like it but I'm really into slalom. My boat is a '99 Response LX with wedge. Does anyone have advice on setting it up for surfing or is it not worth the hassle. Wake surfing is the perfect compliment to slalom since the conditon of the water doesn't matter.
A smaller wave just requires more skill from the rider. Anyone can surf a huge wake. Woody and I took my little Sporty out with my older boy (all of 100 lbs) and the three of us surfed with no wedge just 1250 lbs of water ballast. My boy could go ropeless no problem, I had to concentrate to stay with it (I'm about 160 lbs and grew up surfing), but Woody (who has maybe 20 - 30 lbs on me) struggled to go ropeless. With a wedge and a couple of extra people...you shouldn't have any problem at all. Just be aware of your wake and where it's heading and mindful of the fact that your low freeboard is almost non-existent when weighted for surfing.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound like Woody lacks surfing skills (he doesn't, he shreds). I am apparently right at the weight limit for the little wave generated by my boat. Woody's extra 20 pushed him past that limit.

Edited by NorCaliBu